Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 65BR
DF that's a great report on the M18, and MOA from factory ammo in a factory rifle can do a lot of work!

Almost too easy....

Impressive round, impressive rifle.

I'd pay the few extra bucks for an M-18 over one of the "cheap rifles" It's not that much more money and a lot more gun, IMO.

And 6.5 CM factory fodder doesn't disappoint, not hard to see why it's popular.

DF

But it doesn't recoil enough to assure the compensators of their machismo.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

WOW, a great deal.

I'm not gonna tell my good bud that I can get one cheaper at Europtic than he paid for his.

He looked at retail, as did I. At least he didn't have to fill out a yellow sheet.

DF

Well, he didn't pay tax, shipping or the transfer fee. He came out ahead over all.

That Eurooptic deal is hard to beat. I'd rather pay $449 for a M-18 instead of $350-$375 for one of the cheaper guns. Now, some of them shoot pretty good. But if you compared them side by side, IMO the decision would be easy. And, don't bet too much on them out shooting the M-18. Don't think that'll happen.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 65BR
DF that's a great report on the M18, and MOA from factory ammo in a factory rifle can do a lot of work!

Almost too easy....

Impressive round, impressive rifle.

I'd pay the few extra bucks for an M-18 over one of the "cheap rifles" It's not that much more money and a lot more gun, IMO.

And 6.5 CM factory fodder doesn't disappoint, not hard to see why it's popular.

DF

But it doesn't recoil enough to assure the compensators of their machismo.

Yeah, much more deadly on the muzzle end.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

So apparently it's ok for you to reply with an obvious jab and not ok for me. but I forgot what an A sshole you are and being you consider the 308's recoil as a recoil , you're a pussy to boot.

Go back to blow drying your chest hair...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Among some other conclusions I've come to over the years is that many hunters firmly believe the harder a rifle kicks, the "better" it kills. In general don't believe that's true, due to several factors. But whatever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, with the possible exception of folks hunting the plains, why aren't you using the 6.5 Grendel? It's a 6.5mm, is chambered for ARs and bolts, and uses 120 gr bullets. A little lighter than the 140s, but good for under 500 yd I think.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Recently purchased a CZ 6.5 Grendel bolt-action, and am thinking about buying an AR-15 "upper," to try it out. That's part of my job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Indeed.

I don't know about availability of factory 6.5 Grendel ammunition in the US, but it is available too. But not as widely distributed as the 6.5 CM stuff. Bill Alexander didn't have the mechanism or cash to market the Grendel like Hornady had for the CM. It's part of the mix, that in the short term at least, sees some cartridges do better than others.

I only recently got a Grendel, but mine is a single shot that I want to use primarily as a range rifle. Have fun with your two. I believe the Grendel is underrated, considering the majority don't hunt deer or hogs past a couple hundred yards. 6.5mm cartridges are riding the wave. Surf along!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny, today I was at one of the local Shootatoriums looking at what ammo was available on the sparse shelves. They had very little of anything (except 270 and 308), but they did have some 6.5 Grendel.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's sold out up here. Then again, we have spotty supplies of everything.

Every cartridge serves a purpose. Some practical, and others fashioned by advertising. As so often happens on this site and others, people debate the merits of one cartridge over another.

I believe the Grendel is underrated, but given time, will blossom.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine is 6’-7”, despises recoil, and builds 14+ lb rifles for LR shooting. He absolutely loves the Grendel!

As a simple hunter I can’t see the point given the incredible availability of the Creedmoor. But for the AR platform and other specialized uses I get it’s appeal.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Recently purchased a CZ 6.5 Grendel bolt-action, and am thinking about buying an AR-15 "upper," to try it out. That's part of my job.

I've just recently become aware of the 6mm ARC. Do you have any plans to evaluate that cartridge in the near future? Seems interesting because it's supported by Hornady and I believe it's a SAAMI approved cartridge as well. I'm curious to see if it will take off or fizzle out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't tried a Mauser M-18 in 6.5 Creedmoor, but have had one in 7mm Remington Magnum for a couple years. Aside from the easily adjustable (and very good trigger) it shoots very well with a wide variety of bullets and powders--and started doing so right out of the box.

My Mauser walnut stocked M12 6.5x55 is the same.......except the trigger was perfect as it came. Nothing needed to be done except give it a quick clean and mount the scope. I've messed around with a few other rifles the past few years but the M12 is one I'll keep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
It's sold out up here. Then again, we have spotty supplies of everything.

There is nothing to be found down here, especially the "popular" stuff (270, 308, 06, 6.5 Creed, 243, etc) Plenty of shotgun shells and the odd caliber that never sells anyway, but I would expect 9mm, 5.56 to be in short supply, but when the "regular" stuff can't be found it's insane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Well someone had to do it! Now quit whining and get to work! wink laugh

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been on the ledge for a CZ-527 6.5 Grendel for a while now and when/if things improve will probably spring for one.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JayJunem

I've just recently become aware of the 6mm ARC. Do you have any plans to evaluate that cartridge in the near future? Seems interesting because it's supported by Hornady and I believe it's a SAAMI approved cartridge as well. I'm curious to see if it will take off or fizzle out.

+1, this one looks like a lot of fun in a lightweight bolt action sporter. Chuck slayer in the springtime and a buck killer in the fall.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by HitnRun
13 years and still irrelevant.

There's an ex-poster on here who has contempt for it similar to yours. Coincidentally, he's a Custer aficionado too...

Nothing like the start of a good pizzn contest.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Among some other conclusions I've come to over the years is that many hunters firmly believe the harder a rifle kicks, the "better" it kills. In general don't believe that's true, due to several factors. But whatever.

yep i have seen and heard that too . i have help guys in the past site-in a bigger rifle ,but not anymore ! me now days no-wanna shoot a kickin rifle anymore, i have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a brake on it and using this rifle has been joy to use on the range no recoil and accurate too,i like the favor of this koolaid 6.5 cartridge,its pain free.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good info on that M18 Dirtfarmer. That Europtic deal is a steal. I just wish it had a threaded barrel. In spite of the Creed not kicking much, I've fallen in love with suppressed shooting. May have to try a Bergara Ridge because of that, but the Tikka is such a tackdriver it's hard not to just grab it and go.

Interesting stuff MD, and I'm glad you brought the older threads back up. Entertaining as usual.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/18/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.