Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Originally Posted by TWR
The population in Goodenoughville is growing at an alarming rate.

How's the view up there from your high horse? Not everyone needs or even wants a $2000 AR. For me its a piss poor waste of money and I'd much rather spend that money on a nice double shotgun or bolt rifle. Surely one can piece together or buy a reliable AR for under $1k even in these times.

It looks great from where I’m sitting!

And I’m sitting here with $750 and $900 Colts cause I didn’t wait until they were in high demand before I thought I needed one. I even bought another Kimber Montana last week so as not to hustle you out of your chance at a H&R Topper.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
So, six or eight months from now what GOOD parts are going to be the hardest to find?

Cumbaya...

If we get screwed on braces, it will be light weight barrels 14.5" (for those who like pinned and welded) and 16" and over.

Yah, a couple of those couldn't be a bad move.

Should I bring up budget Ar-10s? LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
“ Surely one can piece together or buy a reliable AR for under $1k even in these times.”

But to answer this question, yes you can and I did.
I found a Daniel Defense 14.5” mid length barrel. These are gassed right and have minimal dwell time so they shoot very soft. I put Magpul SL hand guards on it cause I like utility. Bought an Aero upper, lower and LPK. Bought a Colt RE along with their castle nut and end plate. Magpul grip and stock, DD A1.5 rear sight cause I like them. I did splurge on a Geissele trigger but I already had it.

Oh and it shoots really well

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by TWR
The population in Goodenoughville is growing at an alarming rate.

How's the view up there from your high horse? Not everyone needs or even wants a $2000 AR. For me its a piss poor waste of money and I'd much rather spend that money on a nice double shotgun or bolt rifle. Surely one can piece together or buy a reliable AR for under $1k even in these times.

Who said anything about a $2000 AR. A $900-1200 one should do just fine. Do you own any RARs, Axis or XPR rifles?

Exactly my point. Plenty around here that think that you need to spend $1500 or more in todays market to get a reliable AR. For many of us and myself included, middle of the road is fine for the intended use. My purpose in the initial post was to find out if BCA (or others similarly priced) was a decent cheap option for a flat top carbine length AR. I have in fact owned several RARs, Axis, TC, 700 ADLs, etc and never an issue with any of them for their intended purpose.

I have another built with Aero made upper and lower and a Blackhole Weaponry barrel that does all I need to do. This purchase would be to fit on a spare complete lower that I have, registered as other so it could be made into a pistol if I wanted to do so. Havent given that route much thought though since if the braces are banned in the future I have no desire to have an AR with just a pistol tube. I suppose it could be converted back to a rifle though but I'm not real clear on the legalities of that rodeo. If this was a gun I intended to take into battle, cost would be very low on priority, but its not and therefore cost is a concern. If I could source good components easily for around 5 bills I would just have my buddy help build my upper. Parts availability is a concern right now though.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
“ Surely one can piece together or buy a reliable AR for under $1k even in these times.”

But to answer this question, yes you can and I did.
I found a Daniel Defense 14.5” mid length barrel. These are gassed right and have minimal dwell time so they shoot very soft. I put Magpul SL hand guards on it cause I like utility. Bought an Aero upper, lower and LPK. Bought a Colt RE along with their castle nut and end plate. Magpul grip and stock, DD A1.5 rear sight cause I like them. I did splurge on a Geissele trigger but I already had it.

Oh and it shoots really well

TWR,

Have you ever broke an inch with 5 shot groups with it?
I've shot several. They would all do an inch and a half, but I've yet to break an inch with one.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I haven’t shot this one further than 50 yards yet, irons and a red dot off hand is about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Exactly my point. Plenty around here that think that you need to spend $1500 or more in todays market to get a reliable AR.

I don't think many here believe that at all..................but there's a BIG difference in building a good, solid, plain jane, no frills AR for well under a grand vs a POS BCA rifle for whatever they sell for today.

YMMV

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not directed at anyone. Been good advice here. I don't don't think it really matters what other's do, but, advice can be given without condescension. I'd much rather see someone get something than nothing, as long as he ain't guilt tripping anyone else for it's failures. No, not pissing money away on a disposable item but No fuucker I ever heard of went into something dirt cheap thinking he's getting gold. To some, the difference between $400 upper and a $700 upper is a deal breaker - possibly - current realities vs what deals someone stumbled into some time ago, vs something considered dead nuts reliable by one guy vs what might work for the other guy's needs just fine. It's all good, better get what ya can while ya can.. Another whatever. But, yes, BCA ain't even mid-tier, got it. Again, the guy's opinion on them that led me to try BCA still means more to me than someone saying it ain't top gear (no chit) that has not owned one. I didn't want, for my first AR, a BCA, Delton, Olympic and got an FN15 but I sure as hell don't need to talk down to the guy that did. Not every AR is a SHTF proposition for everyone. Carry-on.

I can't afford a SCAR, so I have a S&W M&P10 Sport 308 on layaway. Oh well, it's possible now, whereas others simply are not. Should have jumped on a bunch of stuff a year and a half ago when living was easy. Best to diversify it looks like.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly my point. Plenty around here that think that you need to spend $1500 or more in todays market to get a reliable AR.

Name even one person who said that.

And BTW, here ya go for $949.

https://shooterschoicesc.com/produc...arrel-magpul-rear-flip-up#product_detail

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

That’s a dynamite set up for 1K Great company top quality stuff......

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BamBam

That’s a dynamite set up for 1K Great company top quality stuff......

Was just looking at that. Wow.

--- Kid Rock 2022

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

Since I'm uninformed, what is so great about this particular gun? Is it the barrel? BCG? The furniture is as basic as it comes, nothing wrong with that, but it is basic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a combination of quality parts assembled by a reputable company with a good quality history, Sons of Liberty Gun Works.

Yes, parts are just basic, not fancy, but things don't have to be fancy to get solid, reliable performance.

But it's not a high precision rifle either, but likely a solid, everyday, shoot all ammo, 1.5-2" gun.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Since I'm uninformed, what is so great about this particular gun? Is it the barrel? BCG? The furniture is as basic as it comes, nothing wrong with that, but it is basic.

These guys take no shortcuts when it comes to the quality of the components they use, nor their QC.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It took a bit of searching to find the specs, but worth the effort if you want. Looks like they went with "couldn't be done better" on each and every functional part. It's a Sons of Liberty Gun Works Loyal 9 (iirc.)

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The biggest thing for me is their transparency. They're willing to tell you everything. Where they source their barrels, BCGs, lowers, rails...they've revealed it all.

They also state the tolerances those products are produced to. We all know what their gas port sizes are. We even know what steel they use for their firing pin retainer.

They publish their in-house QC process.

And they're rabidly pro-gun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/lo...e-sl-handguard-liberty-fighting-trigger/

They guarantee every part of their rifles for life. Burn out a barrel, they'll replace it. LE officer uses one in the line of duty and it's taken for evidence, they'll replace it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sounds like an awesome company.

$500 build kit today. Not their premium.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...8-phosphate-classic-rifle-kit-black.html

--- Kid Rock 2022

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

The biggest thing for me is their transparency. They're willing to tell you everything. Where they source their barrels, BCGs, lowers, rails...they've revealed it all.

They also state the tolerances those products are produced to. We all know what their gas port sizes are. We even know what steel they use for their firing pin retainer.

Thanks for the info and explanation. Not being into ARs I had never heard of them but they sound like a fantastic company.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for the info and explanation. Not being into ARs I had never he https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxC07B2jYY ard of them but they sound like a fantastic company.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxC07B2jYY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jia0gmtsQxE&feature=youtu.be

Two good videos, at least I think, on their AR platform. Full Auto :-)

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.