Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal
You are much better off buying a quality used machine with comprehensive tooling.

Yep, that will magically appear here in W Montana for my consideration... Check...

You don't have to believe in magic--just use your head. How do you think brand new Chinese machines get to W Montana? (They are shipped)

If you are simply trying to rationalize buying a cheap import, just admit it and settle for what you get. Same as buying from Harbor Freight. Or if you are a lazy shopper, or can't justify the time it takes to search the used machine market, that's ok too. But don't expect quality to magically appear for your consideration if you are unwilling to put in some effort.

Fuuckoff

No need to be a rude little beotch. Just trying to get you to see beyond the cheap imports. Once you buy any new bare machine you can dump a bunch of $ into tooling.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal
You are much better off buying a quality used machine with comprehensive tooling.

Yep, that will magically appear here in W Montana for my consideration... Check...

You don't have to believe in magic--just use your head. How do you think brand new Chinese machines get to W Montana? (They are shipped)

If you are simply trying to rationalize buying a cheap import, just admit it and settle for what you get. Same as buying from Harbor Freight. Or if you are a lazy shopper, or can't justify the time it takes to search the used machine market, that's ok too. But don't expect quality to magically appear for your consideration if you are unwilling to put in some effort.

Fuuckoff

No need to be a rude little beotch. Just trying to get you to see beyond the cheap imports. Once you buy any new bare machine you can dump a bunch of $ into tooling.

Fuuckoff.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks Jim. And others too.

Originally Posted by Heym06
Just make sure you go with a dovetail column on a small mill. Stay from the round columns, they move to much, under heavy work. My last mill was a Lagun brand knee mill, to big of foot print in the shop!

Absolutely. I have been looking at stuff for a long time prior to actually deciding what I really need for my interests. Round column bench mill - no, and that reality has taken me up up up in cost... Looking at a cherry big Jet knee mill Saturday, it's a lot, in more "ways" than one.

Looking at this set of particulars. 20" or more X-axis (maxing out the bench mills), comes with or can add at least X/Y DRO, R8, and a strong preference for electric variable speed with high top end for rapid aluminum milling and Z DRO.

A note, Taiwan ROC is not PRC. LOL

Agreed not the same!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My jet 9x49 is older and well built. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tree UVR and kick myself for it. A couple years later my jet popped up for $1500 and I drove 200 miles to grab it.

I have a Chinese enco at work and it is a pile of crap. The jet mills with the large "m" in the casting are good machines for the money.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
My jet 9x49 is older and well built. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tree UVR and kick myself for it. A couple years later my jet popped up for $1500 and I drove 200 miles to grab it.

I have a Chinese enco at work and it is a pile of crap. The jet mills with the large "m" in the casting are good machines for the money.

I am looking at a 9x49 Jet Saturday with 2 axis factory DRO and powered X-feed, VSD, cherry condition, have the hauling ability and it will fit into the space, but it ain't going for $1500 LOL.. Limited to one day round trip for used searching and I drive about 50 hours a week already, time is money, and time off is golden.

Nice little intro piece from PM.
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Choosing-and-Using-a-Mill-3-9-2019.pdf

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What are you planning on using it for? I told you in your other thread about how I came about getting my Bridgeport. I paid $1800 and another I want to say $270 to have it delivered to OK from CT.

I’ve run some of the newer imported machines and felt like most of the ones I used they tried to cover up deficiencies with added gadgetry. IE the spindle tolerance isn’t as good as an older American machine but it comes with all these accessories.

Of course if you’re making stuff out of plywood, don’t laugh I saw my buddy who’s the best machinist I’ve ever met cut a silhouette out of plywood on a Haas CNC, you don’t need the best there is. If you’re planning on making space shuttle parts you might want to hold out for the best you can afford.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A tip you probably already know being a trucker IIRC. I saved a ton of money on shipping due to the fact that at the time I worked at a place where I had access to a forklift and telehandler. Shipping was less than half since I was unloading the heavy assed thing. So if you know someone with a forklift it might save you some dough.

I sat it off on the shop driveway then at quitting time I loaded it onto my 12’ trailer and had a buddy follow to my place in the telehandler. Pulled up and opened the bay door on the shop. Forked it with the SkyTrac and shot the boom out inside the shop and set it down. Only had to bar it over about 2 feet to where I wanted to set it. I hate to think of the day I may have to move the heavy bastard to another shop.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, the moving could get bad quick! I have a freight terminal for receiving, heavy trailers available for hauling, and the best of the precision shop equipment handling tools known to man, a backhoe, available!

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sweet. You’ll be sure to have the backhoe seat sucked up your ass the whole time knowing that one wrong move on the controls of this schitty wore out backhoe will destroy this heavy and expensive piece of machinery I’ve waited so long to get. No sweat!

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mtn Boomer, pm sent

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sweet. You’ll be sure to have the backhoe seat sucked up your ass the whole time knowing that one wrong move on the controls of this schitty wore out backhoe will destroy this heavy and expensive piece of machinery I’ve waited so long to get. No sweat!

No, it's a pretty decent backhoe! LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a 5/8nc eye bolt. You can pick it from the top. Nod the head and raise the table to hit CG. Otherwise 2 6' nylons work well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't listen to the audio, but, I'll take it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got this 4 Axis Bridgeport that needs a home. I've got too much stuff and it all can't move with me to MI. It came out of the maintenance shop at a plant that made fish sticks. It's super clean. I don't think it was used much.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And there you go!

Kingston you don’t have an extra mill vise lying around you can’t move do you? I need one with a swivel base and I’d be happy to pay the freight if you make me a deal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some bitch that thing is big! (That's what she said)

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Hey Boomer -

Important ...

You WILL want a power feed & a DRO... BOTH will cut down on the travel / work area you need so make sure you check the spec’s on how much they do, and buy a longer X, Y, and even Z travel than you think you need (they don’t stretch).

X becomes important if you are doing precision stock work and want to true a LONG surface.

Z travel for when you are using a long jig like an action jig to pin a recoil lug which requires you to drill the sucker.

Y becomes important if you get a bench mill and pan the head to cut an angle (vs. buying a knee mill) so you can only do an angle precisely along the Y travel

Best of luck
Spot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
And there you go!

Kingston you don’t have an extra mill vise lying around you can’t move do you? I need one with a swivel base and I’d be happy to pay the freight if you make me a deal.

I have a few vises and a couple rotary tables. They are all in still in MA. You should come up for the sale. I've got two big buildings full of stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some bitch that thing is big! (That's what she said)

It's basically the size of a Bridgeport plus the controls. I also have a Well-Index 745 that I think is going to go with me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.