Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Looks like it was not properly locked up. Or somehow fired out of battery? I had a barrel obstruction once. In a Enfield P-17. Action was fine. But peeled the barrel back about halfway. Replaced the barrel checked headspace and it was good to go.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was expecting to see a blown up barrel as is usually the case when we see these kind of threads. I’ve never seen one blow up at the base of the case chamber and action before. The way it blew up the stock and scope along with it. It must have been one heck of a pressure spike. I’d like to hear what the cause was when it’s discovered.
Prayers for the shooter.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 12/28/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Maybe the first round was primed only or had very little charge and lodged a bullet in the barrel then the next normal load fired caused a pressure spike?

I've never had a round lodge, but wouldn't it have be obvious if this were case. There would be no gas discharged and the sound would be way off, no?
I've had it happen before. There is no sound but the "click" of the firing pin falling when a bullet lodges in the barrel.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The amount of brass missing, the way the brass is melted/blown back, the undamaged barrel all indicate that the bullet is probably still in the throat or first couple of inches of rifling. That barrel is telling me that the bullet didn't move very far before it took the receiver apart relieving pressure.

Does not look like a case full of bullseye or some such.

Does look like a wrong diameter bullet in the case and maybe something like a 30 cal of some sort was touched off in the rifle. People playing with boxes of ammo in the store have been the cause of stuff like this before.

Were it me I would find out if the shooter had other 30 cal ammo in his possession that would chamber in a 7 mag before I spent much money on an attorney, because when that brass is recovered out of the chamber, there is in my mind a very high probability it will not be 7 mag brass. I have seen an "experienced shooter" try to fire 308 win ammo in a 270 before

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by copperking81
Originally Posted by Redneck
From what I can tell, that's a pre-64 model... I can see half of the spent case sitting in the chamber.. Barrel appears mostly undamaged - just the receiver blew, right at the area where the base of the case is/was, so I kinda doubt the previous round obstructed the bore or else it would have 'peeled' - as another poster mentioned above.. I'm also thinking it may have been ammo-related and not the rifle..

I'm so sorry to hear of the injuries to the shooter.. Dang..

I agree the action kind of looks like a pre-64 but the barrel does not. That and I'm pretty certain 7mm Rem Mags were never offered in the pre-64s Model 70s.

You're correct - and I should have mentioned that earlier... It sure looks like a custom rifle - if for no other reason than the pic of that stock..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I was expecting to see a blown up barrel as is usually the case when we see these kind of threads. I’ve never seen one blow up at the base of the case chamber and action before. The way it blew up the stock and scope along with it. It must have been one heck of a pressure spike. I’d like to hear what the cause was when it’s discovered.
Prayers for the shooter.

x2. I'd really like to know as well. That thing looks like a pipe bomb having gone off.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm thinking it's an ammo issue. Three years ago my brother had an eerily similar incident that happened while shooting at a mule deer buck. The rifle was a trusted 300 Winchester Mag. Mod.70 (circa 1990's) the ammo was Federal Trophy Bonded 300 Win. Mag. The rifle was damaged but not destroyed. Nevertheless, he also suffered an eye injury, but there was no permanent damage. The cause of the mishap was then and still is a mystery. I said then it looked like an ammo issue and I still believe that.

Last edited by super T; 12/28/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
The amount of brass missing, the way the brass is melted/blown back, the undamaged barrel all indicate that the bullet is probably still in the throat or first couple of inches of rifling. That barrel is telling me that the bullet didn't move very far before it took the receiver apart relieving pressure.

Does look like a wrong diameter bullet in the case and maybe something like a 30 cal of some sort was touched off in the rifle. People playing with boxes of ammo in the store have been the cause of stuff like this before.

Were it me I would find out if the shooter had other 30 cal ammo in his possession that would chamber in a 7 mag before I spent much money on an attorney, because when that brass is recovered out of the chamber, there is in my mind a very high probability it will not be 7 mag brass. I have seen an "experienced shooter" try to fire 308 win ammo in a 270 before

Good analysis. The bullet was able to squeeze just past the free bore area and then got “stuck” when it made contact with the rifling.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Good analysis. The bullet was able to squeeze just past the free bore area and then got “stuck” when it made contact with the rifling.

I've never tried, but, can a person chamber a 338Win in a 7Rem mag?

Update:

Pulled the firing pin from a SS M70 Classic in 7Rem Mag, and gave it a whirl. I couldn't chamber blue-box Federal 225's in 338Win.

Last edited by horse1; 12/28/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Wrong ammo is a possibility.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would look at the grain structure in the thread area. Make sure that there is no case of hydrogen embrittlement. That part of the design should have been 10x in strength.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I saw a BAR 7mm Rem Mag sold off w an undisclosed 7mm 08 round in it.

Chamber end looked empty. No light through bore.
Cleaning rod popped it right out

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Yeah... or some dick in the store may have swapped a couple of cartridges between boxes of different types of ammo. I see a spent case in one of the pics but I'm guessing that wasn't the problematic cartridge. Recovering the problematic case, if still around, may shed a lot of light.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A 7mm Mag with .024"+ neck clearance???

M
mtman04 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I don't know where the ammo was purchased. I can ask them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What possible wrong combination of ammo could have caused this?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Was the rifle in question ever involved in a house-fire? I don't know anything more about hardening and tempering metal than what I've seen on "Forged in Fire". Which is to say, I know less than nothing because I don't even know what I don't know......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would guess there was a crack under the sheared lug. A lot of hot rounds over the years. I would expect the barrel to split if there had been an obstruction.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by szihn
That's about the 8th one I have heard of, shot with Federal ammo in the last 10 years.

One was a handgun. Federal 158 grain round nose 38 Special. The shooter was me. Gun blew up in my hand. I was only cut lightly on my right thumb, but the gun was a total loss.

The others were all rifles and all but one were shot with Federal Premium Ammo. The one exception was a 243, an old Herders J9 rifle and was shot with the "blue box" ammo.

I saw one blow at the Shoshoni Range. Shooter was injured but come out OK. He had some deep cuts on his left hand and and blood from his face, but his eyes were ok. That was a Remington M700 in 270 Winchester caliber. That was the 1st one in fact, about 10 years ago. He was from Iowa and came to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. Poor guy, when I talking to him he was saying he was just going to drive back home the following day.

The others were guns I was shown or told about.

So this is a problem Federal is obviously not paying the needed level of attention to.

I certainly would not be passing that ammo back to Federal for its examination. No sirree.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by mtman04
He was firing a Model 70 Winchester in 7mm Remington Magnum.

A sad affair for sure. The ammo is certainly the place to start.

Custom rifle? The stock and rear sight do not look like a standard or a super grade M70. Has he had it long?

I wonder how long the screws are for the rear sight?

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.