Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
One thing that doesn't seem quiet right with the rifle is the area where the bolt lug shoulders on the action that is sheared away.

When you close the bolt the bolt lugs are up and down (top & bottom), so I expected to see a bunch of white raw metal where it was sheared away provided that the bolt was closed.
But here I see blue color ? Maybe there was a crack in the lug area that let the bolt move back to where the shell was unsupported and blew.

The area I'm describing is here.

[Linked Image]

Front action screw too long, file back-side of starboard side lug until it cleared causing the lug to headspace on the front side of the front action screw? When it finally let go it pulls the screw and lug back through the feed ramp?

Prayers for the shooter -

I thought the same - somehow both raceways failed and the bolt lugs passed through then pushed the bolt back, and after which blowing the extractor and brass up it pushed the bolt back until enough case wall was exposed, otherwise it would have stayed up in the front section more, and not blow the scope and rear part of the scope mount base in half. But the bolt lugs are in mostly in tact so one hell of an explosion would be required, but if the lugs held it would have been much more forward than getting back to the scope area.

It would be interesting to look at the sheared off remaining bolt lug race to see if that was carbon or if it was cracked and blueing had gotten into the crack.
The top lug didn’t look to be messed too much compared to how short the bottom lug (right side) is.

Sucks either way, ... I wouldn’t expect this unless you combined a wrong round & a bad bolt race.

Was the action reworked / trued or is it a factory action ?

Again - prayers for the shooter.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/28/20.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
sorry to hear about this,hope the young man gets much better too. myself i feel the cause is a poorly installed barrel ,maybe this used barrel was rechambered poorly too ? the barrel threading and the reciever what`s left of it look good ,so was this barrel not really attached /screwed in right ? something just don`t add up ? i don`t think it was the ammo unless some how had a wrong cartridge ? maybe the reciever went thru a fire ? that stock and that barrel are not pre-64 either. i am kinda leaning action/receiver went thru a fire then some garage type gunsmith put a used barrel and a stock and made a rifle with a weak link barrel-reciever and it finally blew apart. very very sad situation with a young man hurt .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Factory ammo?

First thing, he needs the best attorney he can find.

I would not touch that rifle anymore.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Almost like it fire while out of battery.

It appears the entire explosion was from the chamber back.

That was my thoughts too. but I am far from an expert

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non-expert thoughts.

Not caused by wrong case:

Cartridge obviously chambered - so not too long.
A short case would separate, but I'd expect the rear half would seal the chamber and why would the back of the case head blow off unless the locked bolt slipped back.
An over-size bullet would likely bulge or split the barrel.

Can these rifles fire out of battery? and if so, wouldn't the bolt have shot out the back?

Cracked receiver or extreme overcharge seems likely to me.

Last edited by night_owl; 12/28/20.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I cannot begin to determine a cause without close examination if the rifle. Even then, there is some guesswork involved. If there is a lawyer involved, he should contact someone who is experienced in this sort of thing. GD

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I wonder if a larger cartridge of the same case family, i.e. 7mm Mag and 338 Mag, was slammed forward by the bolt, would it drive the bullet deeper into the case, allowing the round to be chambered?

Shoot Safe,
Mike
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
7mm mag in a .264? It definitely looks like a custom or semi custom rifle.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Broken firing pin?

Try to slam the bolt home with a protruding firing pin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good lawyer will get that rifle examined by a qualified expert.
As someone already posted, don't send the remaining cartridges to the manufacturer; make sure the lawyer gets them examined independently.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm gonna say...it's the Leupold.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've seen lodged rounds. The barrel splits like a peeled banana along the grooves.
Looks like the round discharged out of battery.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'm gonna say...it's the Leupold.

Thinkin that's covered under the lifetime warranty?

grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Covid.

Next.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Factory ammo but that case only got less than a full charge of slow burning powder when the charge was dropped. Remember powder in factory ammo is dispensed not weighted. I strongly suspect S.E.E. Some years back there was an article in Handloader Magazine where the writer was able to repeat the detonations.

http://www.africanxmag.com/secondary_explosion_effect.htm#:~:text=Secondary%20Explosion%20Effect%2C%20or%20S.E.E.,burn%20at%20the%20prescribed%20rate.&text=The%20most%20interesting%20call%20was%20from%20a%20powder%20company%20ballistics%20laboratory%20technician.

"Secondary Explosion Effect, or S.E.E. seems to occur when a "slow" powder is used and the powder charge reduced to below 15% of max. This will cause the powder to detonate rather that burn at the prescribed rate."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Those threads are rusty, water seeping in through a crack in the receiver?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
As someone already posted, don't send the remaining cartridges to the manufacturer; make sure the lawyer gets them examined independently.

This ^^

BE SURE to document the complete chain of custody and don't mess with anything.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by night_owl

Agree, but if the remaining ammo checks out to be in spec, then what ? Lawyer fees and ammo lab test fees. Sure won't do the injured shooter any good, just hope he recovers the best he can. And other than an issue with the ammo, I really doubt a qualified expert would be able to pinpoint the exact cause of the destruction.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve rode this ride, almost exactly to a T except I lost all my front teeth and part of my jawbone instead of an eye.

Details are eerily similar, Pre 64, magnum cartridge, second round out of a new box. Barrel in my case was down range about 20 feet but looked fine aside from the separated case lodged in it. Results looked pretty much identical as well.

Laboratory testing in my case showed that the boutique ammo manufacturer had mistakenly used R15 in place of R25. Lab stated pressures likely in excess of 150k PSI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Box of ammo purchased. One round had bullet pulled and powder dumped. Powder replaced with C4 and bullet reseated. Return to gun shop. Exchange one round in a box of identical ammo. Trap set by urban terrorist for the next gun owner buying that box of ammo. No individual targeted but the shooting public in general.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (2500HD, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 25aught6, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.