Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my experience, failures occur at the point of greatest pressure and least resistance. In the case of an obstructed bore, this is typically immediately behind the obstruction.

If a chamber is obstructed at the throat (over bore projectile from incorrect cartridge), the over pressure will occur in the chamber area and take the path of least resistance.

Best advice has been given: Consult legal assistance and have qualified experts examine the evidence.

Prayers for the young man.

Additionally - I love the level of experience of some on this site.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Enlarging and color correcting..

Obstructed bores at the muzzle make the barrel peel like a banana, but obstructed in front of the chamber may not.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Could it be that there is a whole series of Winchester actions that were not adequately heat treated at some time?

Sounds like the example actions in this thread run across 30-40 years of manufacturing. Three of the four examples involved pre-64s, two of which were rebarreled and one was confirmed wrong powder causing pressure to spike in excess of 150k PSI. ShootAI's example involved a late 90s Classic action. That was a mauser / pre-64 style action but made ~30 years later than the true "pre-64" variants.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by shootAI
I am too stupid to post pics but I had the same thing happen to me on a pre-64 action custom rifle by a well known maker. His ammo as well. Action looks very similar and my barrel was down range but in great shape. Checked the remaining ammo and it all checked out. It was my third shot of a range session. First one right where it was aimed. Next shot off a hair right and I decided to fire a third to verify and boom explosion. Very loud when a gun blows up. Cartridge was a 257 wby mag. I had eye protection but still had major facial injuries and an eye surgery to remove foreign material from my eye. Came to on the floor in the corner of the shooting house. Sorry for your friend. It made me nervous for months afterwards to shoot and when other people shot. I would find myself backing up. I will send pictures to anyone interested by text. Then you can post them up. Just PM me.

The common theme with the M70’s being discussed here is that they are all custom, re-barreled guns. Has anyone experienced a similar failure with an unmodified M70?

Yeah... whenever analyzing something that failed and which has a history of not failing, the first question that should be asked is what changed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc
.... and the bullet was pushed back into the cartridge case before being fired...

Which should lessen the pressure, right?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question. I don't own any magnum rifles, but would one of the short magnums popular now fit in a 7MM RM chamber? I know a .308W will easily chamber up in a .270W, because my favorite gunsmith had one delivered to him that had been fired at a drunken new years eve celebration. Actually the bullet swaged down the barrel and got out. Probably would not have in a .26-06.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by DMc
.... and the bullet was pushed back into the cartridge case before being fired...

Which should lessen the pressure, right?

No, it would spike...lesser case volume.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saw similar pics at an LGS years ago. The shooter fired a 7mmRemMag cartridge in a 270 WBY rifle. UGLY!
Hoping the shooter in this case makes a recovery.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Myman04: I am saddened to the point of nausea over this incident/accident!
I just feel terrible over the loss of that young mans eye!
It is a stark reminder FOR ME to always wear my Zeiss shooting glasses when firing my Rifles and pistols.
Although with the severity of this detonation/explosion it may have harmed his eye anyway even if he had "shooting glasses" on.
My lifelong friend from Enumclaw, Washington was at the range last week sighting in his new Kimber Rifle in 257 Roberts - somehow in amongst his handloaded ammo came a 220 Swift cartridge and it went off but sounded/felt funny.
He is still bewildered how one of his handloaded 220 Swift rounds got in with his handloaded 257 Roberts rounds!
Luckily for him no harm was done to him or his new Rifle.
We are ALL human and are ALL subject to human error so extra care must be taken whenever we are using our firearms.
But I am also at a loss to explain the young mans Rifle's detonation - it will be interesting to learn the results of the ammunition inspection/analysis.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by night_owl
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Dog catcher, even if re-barreled, The rifle maker might still be liable for damages if the action is determined to be defectively designed/manufactured.

After a bankruptcy and multiple owners, that would take one hell of an attorney.

No one knows what happened - that's why I said "rifle maker" not "Winchester".
My point was that notwithstanding manufacturer's warnings to the contrary, the mere fact that someone modifies a firearm or uses hand-loads doesn't automatically absolve a manufacturer of liability for a defective product.
The injured man should certainly have the rifle and ammo examined by experts.

“ if the action is determined to be defectively designed/manufactured”
So, who would this be if not Winchester? The smith certainly didn’t design or manufacture the action.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like a few other have mentioned, if the problem had been a obstructed barrel then the barrel itself would have split. Also its very unlikely barrel was obstructed if the previous round fired ok.

That leaves a ammo mixup or a previously damaged action.

I took a guy elk hunting last year that missed two 75yd shots at a elk, shooting from a rest on a log. Both shots hit way high as I saw the 2nd one hit the mountainside behind the elk. Found out he was shooting 7mag ammo in his 300mag. Easy mixup as when he grabbed 4 boxes of Federal Fusion ammo off the shelf there was one box of 7mag mixed it and he never looked close, then the morning we went hunting he grabbed the wrong box. He and another friend found the mixup when going out the next day to check sight in and he shot a couple more before the mistake was discovered.

I can see where different ammo could easily get mixed up in the same box either intentionally or by accident.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dog catcher, even if re-barreled, The rifle maker might still be liable for damages if the action is determined to be defectively designed/manufactured.

After a bankruptcy and multiple owners, that would take one hell of an attorney.

No one knows what happened - that's why I said "rifle maker" not "Winchester".
My point was that notwithstanding manufacturer's warnings to the contrary, the mere fact that someone modifies a firearm or uses hand-loads doesn't automatically absolve a manufacturer of liability for a defective product.
The injured man should certainly have the rifle and ammo examined by experts.

“ if the action is determined to be defectively designed/manufactured”
So, who would this be if not Winchester? The smith certainly didn’t design or manufacture the action.

Winchester doesn’t exist anymore.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s probably too late but If you do intend to have the metallurgy investigated don’t touch the pieces together by seeing how they match up.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I check the headstamp on every cartridge that I load, in every gun, ALL of the time.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by JoeBob

Winchester doesn’t exist anymore.

My point.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I don't have anything to add as to why the rifle exploded, but it sure is a good reminder to wear shooting glasses. And they do work. I saw a gunner in Afghanistan who caught a bullet right between the eyes - it went through his eye-pro frame but just embedded in the skin above his nose and did not penetrate his skull (I think the bullet may have been a ricochet or came from a long distance). I also saw an insurgent bomb-maker who had a low-order detonation of the bomb he was making. He was captured and brought to a US field surgical team. They took a lot of metal out of his face and elsewhere, but he was smart and was actually wearing ballistic eyewear (same Oakley's that were issued to US troops) and he had no damage to his eyes or the areas of his face protected by those Oakley's. Made me a believer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
Question. I don't own any magnum rifles, but would one of the short magnums popular now fit in a 7MM RM chamber? I know a .308W will easily chamber up in a .270W, because my favorite gunsmith had one delivered to him that had been fired at a drunken new years eve celebration. Actually the bullet swaged down the barrel and got out. Probably would not have in a .26-06.

There were some articles on 270’s being fired in 7 RM chambers because they look very close to the 7RM and will feed, plus the OAL is close so with longer throats on a RM they will chamber. the 270 result in the case rupture that blows back powder & brass to the shooter but the rifle typically survives because the bullet can pass through. If that was done with a hard bullet in a 280 or 30-06 it can’t pass into the barrel. You can google 270 in a 7 Rem Mag and find them.

I’m not saying that’s what happened, but the 270 in a 7RM has happened to others, either way it’s a tragedy that happened to this young man, God Bless.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/29/20.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

Last edited by fortymile; 12/29/20. Reason: Duplicate
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

Enlarging and color correcting..

Obstructed bores at the muzzle make the barrel peel like a banana, but obstructed in front of the chamber may not.

I'd really like to see a closer picture of what remains of that head stamp and in higher resolution. As others have pointed it out, it looks like there might be some discernable stamping on it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I check the headstamp on every cartridge that I load, in every gun, ALL of the time.

ya i was just going to say the same thing. this comes from having a 243, 260, 308, 7/08, 338 fed and a 358 as well as a 270 and a 30/06 and 25, 30 and 32 remingtons.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.