Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

[Linked Image][/quote]

Whatever caused it - that would have been nasty to have been holding that rifle.

A guy I worked with ran out of ammo for his 243 the night before deer opener. Decided to load up some real quick and used pistol powder - ''cause that is what he had". Wanted to check the POI. Sat down behind the bench and touched off a round. The old Remmy 788 action held up pretty well, but all nine of the locking lugs sheared off the bolt and it drove thru his jaw and down into his collar bone. Missed any major blood vessels but beat the Hell out of him.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Chain store has ammo out on shelves.
Sign says " do not open boxes of ammo"....
Yet I repeatedly see fudds and bmw types open the boxes.
WTF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I remember reading stories of CIA spooks, finding a cache of North Vietnamese ammo, would plant just one round loaded with C4...When it blew, it took an ARVN soldier with it. When the ARVN went to examine ammo in that cache, all was Kosher, no C4. Just one booby trapped round. Then the psych ops spooks put out the word that Chicoms were making bad ammo...

Don't ya reckon one of those AK "events" looked much worse...

Forensic testing of rifle and ammo is in order. A product liability atty specializing in firearms, not just a typical plaintiff atty, would be needed. That person would know the right experts to examine the evidence. Should be a good case if handled right.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

[Linked Image]

Whatever caused it - that would have been nasty to have been holding that rifle.

A guy I worked with ran out of ammo for his 243 the night before deer opener. Decided to load up some real quick and used pistol powder - ''cause that is what he had". Wanted to check the POI. Sat down behind the bench and touched off a round. The old Remmy 788 action held up pretty well, but all nine of the locking lugs sheared off the bolt and it drove thru his jaw and down into his collar bone. Missed any major blood vessels but beat the Hell out of him.

[/quote]

Did he get a Darwin Award ? If not, he should have.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
WTF

Sorry, but you need an image with some big red arrows pointed to the sign and the crowds finger fuqing the chit out of the ammo boxes or that isn't reasonable theory.

Last edited by copperking81; 12/29/20.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by copperking81
WTF

Sorry, but you need an image with some big red arrows pointed to the sign and the crowds finger fuqing the chit out of the ammo boxes or that isn't reasonable theory.

People like to look at the product before purchase

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by copperking81
WTF

People like to look at the product before purchase

People that open boxes of ammo in stores wouldn't know what they were looking at anyway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Should be a good case if handled right.

DF

Interesting, no doubt, but “good” for which party? The attorney?
Unless the culpability can be pinned on Federal (tough road) I’m not sure who has deep enough pockets to make this “good” for the plaintiff. Maybe there is more to the story...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Current Remington ammo boxes have a small daub of hot glue sealing both end flaps. Easy to tell if a box has been opened.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Several years ago I bought a box of 270 WSM ammo at SW. I did not open the box until I got home and discovered that it only contained 19 rounds instead of 20. That made me think of the possibility of someone sabotaging a round and placing it in a box of factory ammo just because they were anti hunting or just plain mean. I do not doubt that it could happen and maybe has happened in the past. I shoot very little factory ammo and I have enough primers on hand to probably last the rest of my life. I did buy a pound of IMR 4350 at SW that had the factory seal broken though and that does give me pause to think of the possibility that someone out there might want to sabotage the reloading powder.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sheister
After seeing the carnage and hearing the sad tale of the young Marine, I certainly would like to know what happened if it can be determined by forensic analysis... however, I'm thinking even analysis of this pile of metal is going to be a WAG by time it is done and legal action will be pretty much a moot point.

A couple points that keep coming to mind. Everyone says this has to be a rebarrel, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that unless I was to see the barrel markings. Just as is reasonably common to rechamber the Pre 64 30-06 rifles to 300 WM using the original barrel, I would think a 7 x 57 barrel could be rechambered to 7 Rem Mag- though the possibility is much lower in my experience... my feeling is one of the two theories floating around here on this thread are the correct one- either the gunsmith who did the work damaged and weakened the action by improperly removing the action or installing the barrel, or the mag case was loaded severely low, leading to an explosion in the case when ignited. This low loading issue has been a known issue with magnum cases for quite some time but I've never actually seen damage like this occur and blamed on this condition before.

Definitely hoping for some resolution in this case...

I'd wanna see how long the screws are for that rear sight. That doesn't look like any factory sight I've ever seen on a M70. I know I haven't seen them all, but I've seen a goodly share of them, and never that one.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Who drilled the big hole in the left ring? Winchesters have a hole on the right side. Maybe the guy recut the threads and cut too deep? Who knows.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hastings
I was thinking along the lines of .300 or .325 short magnum and maybe it could chamber up without the bullet extending into the neck area of the chamber but obviously being too large for the bore and with a magnum charge of powder behind it. People do pilfer around in ammo boxes at stores. One time at a Walmart I was looking inside a box of some high priced premium ammo to see what the bullets looked like and I found Remington Core Lokt.

WSM case body would lever allow it to be chambered in any case based off of the H&H .532 belted mag. While it's OAL would certainly fit, its body diameter would not.

Last edited by horse1; 12/29/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baxterb
Who drilled the big hole in the left ring? Winchesters have a hole on the right side. Maybe the guy recut the threads and cut too deep? Who knows.

Pretty good. You're the first to catch that!

abusus non tollit usum
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Should be a good case if handled right.

DF

Interesting, no doubt, but “good” for which party? The attorney?
Unless the culpability can be pinned on Federal (tough road) I’m not sure who has deep enough pockets to make this “good” for the plaintiff. Maybe there is more to the story...

Good for the poor guy with one eye...

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by night_owl
Originally Posted by baxterb

Pretty good. You're the first to catch that!

Agreed on the good catch. Would any of the early side-mount scope mounts have a screw that far forward? Looks like there are Buehler scope bases on it now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It is not unusual to see this hole drilled on the left side because this is where the gas vent hole should be. I never do this because I don't think it's important but some do. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WTF

I got a box of 300 Savage superperformance from Mid South Shooters supply

Looked like they’d been passed around at a keg party. The box flap had been worked a thousand times it looked. Oooooh and ahhhhh, caterpillar diesel fuel finger smudges on the box.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
WTF

I got a box of 300 Savage superperformance from Mid South Shooters supply

Looked like they’d been passed around at a keg party. The box flap had been worked a thousands times. Oooooh and ahhhhh, caterpillar diesel fuel finger smudges on the box.

The bigger the cartridge the worse it is...”look at this 460 weatherby.” Ammo is never sold.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by greydog
It is not unusual to see this hole drilled on the left side because this is where the gas vent hole should be. I never do this because I don't think it's important but some do. GD

As a second vent? Model 70s in the 30s had a vent on the right.

Just saying it looks like more than a factory job.

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.