Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hookeye
Chain store has ammo out on shelves.
Sign says " do not open boxes of ammo"....
Yet I repeatedly see fudds and bmw types open the boxes.
WTF

I got a box of 300 Savage superperformance from Mid South Shooters supply

Looked like they’d been passed around at a keg party. The box flap had been worked a thousand times it looked. Oooooh and ahhhhh, caterpillar diesel fuel finger smudges on the box.

I'll take em off your hands if it'll make you feel better.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shootAI
I am too stupid to post pics but I had the same thing happen to me on a pre-64 action custom rifle by a well known maker. His ammo as well. Action looks very similar and my barrel was down range but in great shape. Checked the remaining ammo and it all checked out. It was my third shot of a range session. First one right where it was aimed. Next shot off a hair right and I decided to fire a third to verify and boom explosion. Very loud when a gun blows up. Cartridge was a 257 wby mag. I had eye protection but still had major facial injuries and an eye surgery to remove foreign material from my eye. Came to on the floor in the corner of the shooting house. Sorry for your friend. It made me nervous for months afterwards to shoot and when other people shot. I would find myself backing up. I will send pictures to anyone interested by text. Then you can post them up. Just PM me.

You sure yours was a "pre 64 model 70"? From what I saw in the pics John just uploaded, that was a 6 digit classic.

It does look to be a classic not a pre-64. I was only going off the build sheet from it. Build sheet said pre-64 but you guys have proved it to be a classic action. Sorry about the mix up.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Sheister
After seeing the carnage and hearing the sad tale of the young Marine, I certainly would like to know what happened if it can be determined by forensic analysis... however, I'm thinking even analysis of this pile of metal is going to be a WAG by time it is done and legal action will be pretty much a moot point.

A couple points that keep coming to mind. Everyone says this has to be a rebarrel, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that unless I was to see the barrel markings. Just as is reasonably common to rechamber the Pre 64 30-06 rifles to 300 WM using the original barrel, I would think a 7 x 57 barrel could be rechambered to 7 Rem Mag- though the possibility is much lower in my experience... my feeling is one of the two theories floating around here on this thread are the correct one- either the gunsmith who did the work damaged and weakened the action by improperly removing the action or installing the barrel, or the mag case was loaded severely low, leading to an explosion in the case when ignited. This low loading issue has been a known issue with magnum cases for quite some time but I've never actually seen damage like this occur and blamed on this condition before.

Definitely hoping for some resolution in this case...

A rechamber from 300H&H to 300WM was not rare. From 30-06 to 300WM would be much more difficult as, of course, would rechambering from 7X57 to 7mm RM. Bolt face, magazine box and ejection port being the obstacles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
A new rifle was built to replace this one for no charge and I moved on. Medical bills were supposed to be paid as well but weren’t. I finally decided to just move on. I am in the firearms business myself though retail and suing the gentlemen just never sat right with me. Maybe it was no fault of his. We will never know.

I'm curious.

The guy ageed to pay your medical bills but then welched on the deal and you didn't sue him because you were both in the gun business? The guy's in the gumaking business and doesn't have liability insurance?

No one determined what caused the blow up? That's important in order to prevent other blow ups, like just maybe the one that cost the young marine his eye.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
A new rifle was built to replace this one for no charge and I moved on. Medical bills were supposed to be paid as well but weren’t. I finally decided to just move on. I am in the firearms business myself though retail and suing the gentlemen just never sat right with me. Maybe it was no fault of his. We will never know.

I'm curious.

The guy ageed to pay your medical bills but then welched on the deal and you didn't sue him because you were both in the gun business? The guy's in the gumaking business and doesn't have liability insurance?

No one determined what caused the blow up? That's important in order to prevent other blow ups, like just maybe the one that cost the young marine his eye.

To clarify yes he originally agreed to pay the medical bills. I submitted them multiple times and he claimed he never got them. I even went to Dallas SCI to pay him a visit. Long ways from my home in Montana. He agreed on the spot to pay again. Long story short I should of sued I guess but I had insurance and co-pays were a couple grand.

Nobody determined the cause of the blow up. I still have the gun or what’s left of it. He wanted it back but I wouldn’t agree to that. I know it would of disappeared. I took the trigger and some bolt parts out of it other than that it’s all there. Ammunition was the guess but obviously that evidence is gone. I pulled the remaining bullets from the box and broke them down. Everything checked out. I have a picture of that as well if needed but 79S would have to post it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I am too stupid to post pics but I had the same thing happen to me on a pre-64 action custom rifle by a well known maker. His ammo as well. Action looks very similar and my barrel was down range but in great shape. Checked the remaining ammo and it all checked out. It was my third shot of a range session. First one right where it was aimed. Next shot off a hair right and I decided to fire a third to verify and boom explosion. Very loud when a gun blows up. Cartridge was a 257 wby mag. I had eye protection but still had major facial injuries and an eye surgery to remove foreign material from my eye. Came to on the floor in the corner of the shooting house. Sorry for your friend. It made me nervous for months afterwards to shoot and when other people shot. I would find myself backing up. I will send pictures to anyone interested by text. Then you can post them up. Just PM me.

The common theme with the M70’s being discussed here is that they are all custom, re-barreled guns. Has anyone experienced a similar failure with an unmodified M70?

I can’t say for certain but quite a few gunsmith contacted me when my accident happened. They all seemed to think that action design did not hold up well to case failure pressure. Don’t quote me but I believe Dennis Olson said something about it not having a good gas block under battery cause of the extractor cut. Most of the gunsmiths agreed that certain Mauser were very good in a case failure and Remington 700’s as well. The replacement rifle was built on a 700 not a 70 like the first one.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by copperking81
WTF

Sorry, but you need an image with some big red arrows pointed to the sign and the crowds finger fuqing the chit out of the ammo boxes or that isn't reasonable theory.

Exactly!!!

And way more overwhelmingly in depth conjecture that brought us the likes of, “I see a spent case in one of the pics, but I’m guessing that wasn’t the problematic cartridge,” and “recovering the problematic case, if still around, may shed a lot of light.”

Clear the floor, boys! Thomas phu ckin Magnum is here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
WTF

Sorry, but you need an image with some big red arrows pointed to the sign and the crowds finger fuqing the chit out of the ammo boxes or that isn't reasonable theory.

Exactly!!!

And way more overwhelmingly in depth conjecture that brought us the likes of, “I see a spent case in one of the pics, but I’m guessing that wasn’t the problematic cartridge,” and “recovering the problematic case, if still around, may shed a lot of light.”

You're really proud of those red arrows, aren't you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not offering an opinion on why it blew.

My sympathy for the Marine gent that lost his eye. I'm not sure shooting glasses would have stopped a bolt coming at you.

I blew my uncles crono off of my deck rail once upon a time. I was chronographing some Magtech .380 and one round in the box was .32 acp. I don't own a .32. Mixed ammo happens. If I was to have an opinion I'd think of ammo that could be held by the extractor and fired and a bullet that seals off the bore along with a marginal receiver. Usually when something bad happens, two or more bad things coming together will defeat adequate engineering.

Last edited by Szumi; 12/30/20.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Someone posed a photo that seemed to show "35" headstamped on the cartridge case.

Someone else posted an opinion that a .350 Remington Magnum would be the only oversized round that could fit in the chamber.

Hmmmmm....

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

[Linked Image]

Whatever caused it - that would have been nasty to have been holding that rifle.

A guy I worked with ran out of ammo for his 243 the night before deer opener. Decided to load up some real quick and used pistol powder - ''cause that is what he had". Wanted to check the POI. Sat down behind the bench and touched off a round. The old Remmy 788 action held up pretty well, but all nine of the locking lugs sheared off the bolt and it drove thru his jaw and down into his collar bone. Missed any major blood vessels but beat the Hell out of him.

Did he get a Darwin Award ? If not, he should have.
[/quote]

Craigster,

You have no idea! The guy was a good friend and someone I really looked up to. In his mid-40’s he became a drunk, cheated on his wife and began doing things that got him sued left and right. Lost his job, his wife and family and almost killed himself a couple of times. I still don’t know what the Hell happened to him.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah nevermind the big ass hole on the left side of the action something Winchester never put on their rifle. So maybe grandpas favorite gunsmith decided to add another gas vent.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
WTF

Exactly!!!

You're really proud of those red arrows, aren't you.

Oh chit Horatio Caine is back from HQ... some more arrows for you

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 12/29/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Craigster

[Linked Image]

Whatever caused it - that would have been nasty to have been holding that rifle.

A guy I worked with ran out of ammo for his 243 the night before deer opener. Decided to load up some real quick and used pistol powder - ''cause that is what he had". Wanted to check the POI. Sat down behind the bench and touched off a round. The old Remmy 788 action held up pretty well, but all nine of the locking lugs sheared off the bolt and it drove thru his jaw and down into his collar bone. Missed any major blood vessels but beat the Hell out of him.

Did he get a Darwin Award ? If not, he should have.

Craigster,

You have no idea! The guy was a good friend and someone I really looked up to. In his mid-40’s he became a drunk, cheated on his wife and began doing things that got him sued left and right. Lost his job, his wife and family and almost killed himself a couple of times. I still don’t know what the Hell happened to him.
[/quote]

Sad, can happen to the best of us. As the saying goes, "there for the grace of God". Wishing him well.

Last edited by Craigster; 12/29/20.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Redneck
From what I can tell, that's a pre-64 model... I can see half of the spent case sitting in the chamber.. Barrel appears mostly undamaged - just the receiver blew, right at the area where the base of the case is/was, so I kinda doubt the previous round obstructed the bore or else it would have 'peeled' - as another poster mentioned above.. I'm also thinking it may have been ammo-related and not the rifle..

I'm so sorry to hear of the injuries to the shooter.. Dang..

I agree the action kind of looks like a pre-64 but the barrel does not. That and I'm pretty certain 7mm Rem Mags were never offered in the pre-64s Model 70s.

OP... any details on when and if the rifle has been recently re-barreled? Any other recent work done to it?

You are correct, 7mm Remington Mag was not a factory offering:

https://www.ogca.com/WRM_collecting_winchester_pre.htm

The pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters were produced in 18 catalogued calibers as follows: .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, 7X57MM, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .375 H&H Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum. Also, a very few were produced in 7.65MM and 9X57 MM prior to World War II in an attempt to lure foreign market.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well the extra gas relief hole probably didn’t do jack as far as venting but it didn’t seem to hurt either as that’s in an intact area of what’s left of the front ring.

The rear sight screws had nothing to do with it, else it would have blown before and they wouldn’t have been able to sight in or use the rifle for years as stated if the screws were creating a bore obstruction. Plus I’ve seen more than one instance where the rear sight screw holes were drilled into the bore. Worst that ever happened was the pressure stripped the screws and vented through the holes, sent the rear base up and forward where it lodged in the bay door of the shop behind the bullet trap.

Aside from riding this ride personally and having the Tshirt I’ve also examined many instances of catastrophic failures and even happen to have a Pre64 in my collection that looks remarkably similar to what happened with this one. The guy I got it from told me the story of how his father liked to use “hot” handloads for moose with his 270. He decided to try some new “duplex” loads and showed him how you should just put in a pinch of pistol powder and then the normal hot load of rifle powder. First round demolished the M70 and old dad was short 2 fingers and an eye, kid learned to drive a 3 on the tree right quick to get him to the Dr out in the valley.

One year I saw three unmodified factory rifles, 2 300WMs and one 308 that were either blown up or in the 308’s case locked up with the lugs set back .030” from one brand of factory “premium” ammo. One guy lost an eye and the other two were okay. In all cases the ammo maker provided the cost of a new rifle. Not sure how the guy who lost an eye made out but he obviously wasn’t going to settle for a new rifle.

Schit happens, even to good people. People who shoot rifles and even the people who work at ammo companies can make mistakes. The guy who screwed up the ammo that blew me up hadn’t checked the powder dispenser before dumping a new can of powder in when changing over to a different caliber and load. It apparently still had an amount of the wrong powder in it and the first two rounds got way too much of way too fast a powder. It was provable because the lab found the other round when they tore them down and were able to identify the powder. The amount lined up with the manufacturer’s data as to how much of the correct powder was supposed to be in them so it was a pretty easy conclusion after a quick check of ballistic modeling software to estimate how much pressure such a load would generate.

Hope the dude can adapt and heal up fast to have a normal life.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can a Winchester pre 64 bolt action fire out of battery? Or even nearly so with the bolt handle down say 25%?

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No, the cocking piece will hit the cocking cam on the back of the bolt.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Well the extra gas relief hole probably didn’t do jack as far as venting but it didn’t seem to hurt either as that’s in an intact area of what’s left of the front ring.

The rear sight screws had nothing to do with it, else it would have blown before and they wouldn’t have been able to sight in or use the rifle for years as stated if the screws were creating a bore obstruction. Plus I’ve seen more than one instance where the rear sight screw holes were drilled into the bore. Worst that ever happened was the pressure stripped the screws and vented through the holes, sent the rear base up and forward where it lodged in the bay door of the shop behind the bullet trap.

Aside from riding this ride personally and having the Tshirt I’ve also examined many instances of catastrophic failures and even happen to have a Pre64 in my collection that looks remarkably similar to what happened with this one. The guy I got it from told me the story of how his father liked to use “hot” handloads for moose with his 270. He decided to try some new “duplex” loads and showed him how you should just put in a pinch of pistol powder and then the normal hot load of rifle powder. First round demolished the M70 and old dad was short 2 fingers and an eye, kid learned to drive a 3 on the tree right quick to get him to the Dr out in the valley.

One year I saw three unmodified factory rifles, 2 300WMs and one 308 that were either blown up or in the 308’s case locked up with the lugs set back .030” from one brand of factory “premium” ammo. One guy lost an eye and the other two were okay. In all cases the ammo maker provided the cost of a new rifle. Not sure how the guy who lost an eye made out but he obviously wasn’t going to settle for a new rifle.

Schit happens, even to good people. People who shoot rifles and even the people who work at ammo companies can make mistakes. The guy who screwed up the ammo that blew me up hadn’t checked the powder dispenser before dumping a new can of powder in when changing over to a different caliber and load. It apparently still had an amount of the wrong powder in it and the first two rounds got way too much of way too fast a powder. It was provable because the lab found the other round when they tore them down and were able to identify the powder. The amount lined up with the manufacturer’s data as to how much of the correct powder was supposed to be in them so it was a pretty easy conclusion after a quick check of ballistic modeling software to estimate how much pressure such a load would generate.

Hope the dude can adapt and heal up fast to have a normal life.

Hey man I don’t know if you been following this but it was a 350 Remington mag shot in this rifle, that’s the only reason it blew up.. Gees.. But agree hope the young man has a speedy recovery hopefully they can work on his eye and it’s not completely gone.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
At about 11:30 on this pic, there looks to be the number 35. Maybe optical illusion.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/146621.jpg

You have better eyes than me. I couldn’t make out squat.

I’d guess an ammo problem, that action flat blew apart due to a heck of a pressure spike. Out of battery or barrel obstruction would look a lot different. Wrong ammo or a bad round full of fast burning powder.

Did you zoom the pic up to around 500%? Something funny there stamped in & it don't have any of the #'s it should have.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It was Professor Plum in the dining room with the candlestick...

Or maybe it was colonel mustard.....

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 64 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.