Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't believe anyone said a 350 Mag was fired in the rifle. I only said the 350 Rem Mag was the only larger caliber magnum which would fit into the chamber. I mention this because the "wrong ammunition" theory has been discussed a bit. As I said, no one can determine a cause without having the gun in hand. I love pre-64 Model 70's but if I had a serious case failure, I would rather be shooting almost anything else. GD

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am inclined to agree with your high pressure assessment.

Originally Posted by mtman04

Since he fired the first round without incident, it is hard to visualize some kind of barrel obstruction, yet amazingly high pressure must have ensued.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Before This thread goes any further it probably would be a good idea to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the loaded round in this picture.

That is a reload! Save the picture and expand it out to double or better size and look at it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MILES58

Before This thread goes any further it probably would be a good idea to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the loaded round in this picture.

That is a reload! Save the picture and expand it out to double or better size and look at it.

What would lead you to that conclusion? GD

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by greydog

My guess: dent in shoulder.
Also guess: was in the magazine and that dent got there when the rifle went off.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by greydog

Anyone who's reloaded for any amount of time has created the same dent by having too much lube on the brass and running it into a full length resizer. Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Could an exploding rifle create a dent like that?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Could an exploding rifle create a dent like that?

Impossible. I seen it happen oncet when I wuz reloading so that’s the onliest way it ken happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do we know yet where the bullet from the second round is?

I read the first 4 pages and the last couple, but have some other things to do.

Is that bullet still at the end of the leade, 1/4" up into the lands and grooves?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by szihn
That's about the 8th one I have heard of, shot with Federal ammo in the last 10 years.

One was a handgun. Federal 158 grain round nose 38 Special. The shooter was me. Gun blew up in my hand. I was only cut lightly on my right thumb, but the gun was a total loss.

The others were all rifles and all but one were shot with Federal Premium Ammo. The one exception was a 243, an old Herders J9 rifle and was shot with the "blue box" ammo.

I saw one blow at the Shoshoni Range. Shooter was injured but come out OK. He had some deep cuts on his left hand and and blood from his face, but his eyes were ok. That was a Remington M700 in 270 Winchester caliber. That was the 1st one in fact, about 10 years ago. He was from Iowa and came to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. Poor guy, when I talking to him he was saying he was just going to drive back home the following day.

The others were guns I was shown or told about.

So this is a problem Federal is obviously not paying the needed level of attention to.

That's what lawyers are for.

Let's sue them!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Originally Posted by Sheister
After seeing the carnage and hearing the sad tale of the young Marine, I certainly would like to know what happened if it can be determined by forensic analysis... however, I'm thinking even analysis of this pile of metal is going to be a WAG by time it is done and legal action will be pretty much a moot point.

A couple points that keep coming to mind. Everyone says this has to be a rebarrel, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that unless I was to see the barrel markings. Just as is reasonably common to rechamber the Pre 64 30-06 rifles to 300 WM using the original barrel, I would think a 7 x 57 barrel could be rechambered to 7 Rem Mag- though the possibility is much lower in my experience... my feeling is one of the two theories floating around here on this thread are the correct one- either the gunsmith who did the work damaged and weakened the action by improperly removing the action or installing the barrel, or the mag case was loaded severely low, leading to an explosion in the case when ignited. This low loading issue has been a known issue with magnum cases for quite some time but I've never actually seen damage like this occur and blamed on this condition before.

Definitely hoping for some resolution in this case...

A rechamber from 300H&H to 300WM was not rare. From 30-06 to 300WM would be much more difficult as, of course, would rechambering from 7X57 to 7mm RM. Bolt face, magazine box and ejection port being the obstacles.

Not really!

D
D
Seeing we all don’t have the exploded rifle in front of us, we can only guess with the facts presented to us and use any expertise we each may have.

After looking at the pictures presented to us it appears as if there is a “3” on the base of the cartridge stuck in the breech of this exploded firearm but without a clearer view that is not possible to verify. After looking at my loading manuals the one cartridge that no one had brought up and has almost the same exact dimensions as a 7mm Remington magnum is the Winchester .338 Magnum. That might be a possibility. That would definitely cause a pressure spike if a .338 Magnum can be chambered in a 7mm Remington Magnum. Until someone inspects it we are only guessing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Real_Vermonter
Seeing we all don’t have the exploded rifle in front of us, we can only guess with the facts presented to us and use any expertise we each may have.

After looking at the pictures presented to us it appears as if there is a “3” on the base of the cartridge stuck in the breech of this exploded firearm but without a clearer view that is not possible to verify. After looking at my loading manuals the one cartridge that no one had brought up and has almost the same exact dimensions as a 7mm Remington magnum is the Winchester .338 Magnum. That might be a possibility. That would definitely cause a pressure spike if a .338 Magnum can be chambered in a 7mm Remington Magnum. Until someone inspects it we are only guessing.

How are you going to cram a piece of brass with a .370"Ø neck into a .320"Ø hole?

3 × scale, the red is the .338. You can see where the interference is.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by AJ300MAG; 12/30/20. Reason: Added drawing
D
D
I’m just hypothetically saying this could happen. The bullet could be pushed into the cartridge case without a lot of force. This may leave enough room for the cartridge to be chambered.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Real_Vermonter
I’m just hypothetically saying this could happen. The bullet could be pushed into the cartridge case without a lot of force. This may leave enough room for the cartridge to be chambered.

The transition point from the shoulder to the neck on a 7mm mag is 2.229" from the base of the cartridge. The OAL length of the .338 Win Mag is 2.500". You'd have a little over 1/4" of the .338 brass sticking out of the back of the chamber without a seated bullet. So no, it ain't happening hypothetically or otherwise.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Seriously guys, this is connected to the Nashville bombing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

That dent is classic from over lubing brass. Position, size, lack of gouging or scatches. I have seen a lot of other reloaders do it on a brass. Do a search through the forums here nd you can likely find a hundred examples. re: the bullet "gash"... As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt. If it is a gash and it is responsible for the dent in the brass, WHERE IS THE GASH IN THE BRASS AND WHY INSN'T IT AT LEAST SCRATCHED? Why didn't it even mark the neck?

I see no inconsistency with that being a pressure dent from excess lube, and I have never in 64 years of loading seen that dent produced any other way

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
At about 11:30 on this pic, there looks to be the number 35. Maybe optical illusion.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/146621.jpg

If you're looking at what I'm looking at, it looks like an upside down "RE" to me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
OP said it was a 7mm magnum, most everyone seems to be of the opinion it it a pre 64 and must be a re barrel to be a 7mm Remington Magnum. Just curious as to how the barrel is marked.
Ronnie

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.