Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 54 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 53 54
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"Carolina Hunter. My bet is the 270 would have worked well. Mule_Deer has mentioned several times that the quickest kill he has ever witnessed on a moose was made by his wife using a 270 and 150 Partition. Renowned magnum lover, Craig Boddington, has stated one of his quickest bull elk kills was made with a 270 and 150 Nosler Partition."

The quickest kills I have ever made, have been with a 300 Winchester Magnum, as have been the hardest shots.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Should I just use a 50lb draw bow because little jimmy does, or should I stick with my 80lb bow that I’m proficient with??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by smokepole
I find it amusing that "the best elk cartridge" is always a hot topic, but the three things that are arguably more important don't get much air time.

LOL, so true...

Conditioning
Boots
Glass

All three a heck of a lot more important, and far more interesting.

Ha, you're right but I was talking strictly gun-related stuff:

The rifle itself

shot placement

bullet.

In no particular order.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Should I just use a 50lb draw bow because little jimmy does, or should I stick with my 80lb bow that I’m proficient with??

I'm thinking of going with a crossbow, I can't draw one of those 50-lb-ders.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Or that. Shiit then folks really be biitching 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Petersons Hunting "For the fella that can handle the recoil, the .300 Win. Mag. is arguably the best worldwide big-game cartridge there is." Can't be any clearer than that,

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Field and Stream "In purely practical terms, no elk cartridge equals the beautifully balanced .300 Win. Mag. It offers bull-thumping authority at a recoil level just at the cusp of what most serious shooters can handle."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a long love affair with a 300 win, bought a brand new bdl when I was 14, killed alotta deer, elk, bear and grouse with that rifle. Recoil was so horrendous I could shoot the heads off lotsa grouse with it.. 🤭🤭 bought a 3-9 leupold the same day I got the rifle. doh!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Once sighted in, I shoot offhand, prone, from a shooting stick, kneeling, etc. ... at the range.

If someone empties their rifle missing the game animal each shot because of the recoil. All that is needed according to Jordan is to hand them your rifle and simply say that it doesn't kick as much and the next shot will be center of chest

Amazing

Don’t put words in my mouth, John. I didn’t say that’s a general solution to recoil aversion or flinching. I said it worked in that one particular case.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’s it I’m breaking out my 1 gauge tri barrel!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
I find it amusing that "the best elk cartridge" is always a hot topic, but the three things that are arguably more important don't get much air time.

LOL, so true...

Conditioning
Boots
Glass

All three a heck of a lot more important, and far more interesting.

All four including marksmanship are equal ime if you venture far off the rd.

Seen out of shape hunters in tennis shoes and cheap glass kill game just fine if near the rd.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jwp475
Once sighted in, I shoot offhand, prone, from a shooting stick, kneeling, etc. ... at the range.

If someone empties their rifle missing the game animal each shot because of the recoil. All that is needed according to Jordan is to hand them your rifle and simply say that it doesn't kick as much and the next shot will be center of chest

Amazing

Don’t put words in my mouth, John. I didn’t say that’s a general solution to recoil aversion or flinching. I said it worked in that one particular case.

I don’t care what anyone shoots or how well they shoot a magnum rifle. I sure could find someone more deserving than Jordan to be a smart azz to though. Everything I’ve ever read has been a nice answer or opinion that has came from experience. No pushing his choice of equipment and doesn’t run around ranting about others who choose something different. Carry on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a long love affair with a 300 win, bought a brand new bdl when I was 14, killed alotta deer, elk, bear and grouse with that rifle. Recoil was so horrendous I could shoot the heads off lotsa grouse with it.. 🤭🤭 bought a 3-9 leupold the same day I got the rifle. doh!!

I did the same thing when I bought the first rifle I could afford, but at age 19.

It's the one my 16-yr-old shoots proficiently now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

What would have happened if I had had been using a .243 or even .270? I honestly don’t know. I might have pulled it off. But, at the time especially, I am glad I didn’t have to find out.

Just my own experience and opinion.

My bet is the 270 would have worked well. Mule_Deer has mentioned several times that the quickest kill he has ever witnessed on a moose was made by his wife using a 270 and 150 Partition. Renowned magnum lover, Craig Boddington, has stated one of his quickest bull elk kills was made with a 270 and 150 Nosler Partition.

I have heard countless stories from several guides and outfitters over the years about the rodeos they have seen by hunters coming to camp with magnums they can't shoot. Sometimes the stories end with the hunters going home with their tags. Others where they were able to fill their tag after putting down their rifles and shooting a few practice rounds with the guides rifle, something like 257 Roberts or 7-08.

On the contrary, I have never once heard of a guide or outfitter complain about a hunter that showed up to deer or elk camp under gunned.

Am I saying you should trade in your magnums for 223's, of course not. Use what gives you confidence. But whatever you bring to the field should be a rig that you have become proficient with through practice. The average Joe Hunter will not be able to do that with one of the various Smoke'em Mags.

+1

Great post.

Several weeks ago I watched a good-sized bull moose collapse at the shot to a frontal, non-CNS impact from a 127 LRX/6.5 CM that penetrated several feet. There’s nothing magical about the terminal performance of bullets launched by the 6.5 CM; it does about as well as several other mid-sized cartridges like the 7-08, .270, .308, etc, and with the right bullet they are perfectly sufficient on even very large game. There are a lot of factors influencing how quickly game falls to the shot or gives an indication of a hit, and caliber/impact velocity is one of them somewhere down the list.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s getting serious when Field and Stream gets quoted!

Originally Posted by elkmen1
Field and Stream "In purely practical terms, no elk cartridge equals the beautifully balanced .300 Win. Mag. It offers bull-thumping authority at a recoil level just at the cusp of what most serious shooters can handle."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Before he died, I had a correspondence with George Hoffman, African PH and developer of the 416 Hoffman (which Remington later modified and released as the 416 Rem Mag). Mr. Hoffman (like myself) was not averse to Magnums, but told me he didn't necessarily see the need for them on elk-sized game, and that all 50+ elk he'd taken in his life had been with the 270 Win.

One thing I will say is that just because someones experience may be long (or short) it may also be incredibly narrow. Sort of like the guy that may have killed a pile of elk, but never ventured beyond magnums. How would he know smaller cartridges might work well? His confirmation bias apparently didn't allow that kind of thinking.

For my part I read all the 1980's stuff by the likes of Boddington, so when I eventually moved to Montana one of the rounds in my battery was the 338 WM. I used it on the first few elk I killed, including a dandy 6pt I tracked to his bed and shot at 50 yards. No surprise it worked. But what I noticed was many of my friends who grew up here used stuff like the 243 and 270 - cartridges they knew well and had used since childhood. As I killed more elk and saw more elk killed I started changing my thinking. That evolution led me to cartridges more fun to shoot, like the 6.5 CM, 7-08, 308 and 270. I've seen more elk killed with the 270/130 combo than any other cartridge. It works because it's fun to shoot, but still has a nice reserve of power. I think the same can be said of the 6.5CM, 7-08 and 308. They're truly "all around" big game rounds.

I've tried to keep an open mind, and as a result have given a variety of cartridges a try. What I found - and what I've often said - is "cartridges are more alike than different." Punch the lungs with a decent expanding bullet and it's light's out. Hit around the edges and you've got a rodeo on your hands, no matter what you hit the animal with.

Threads like this do remind me that testosterone and ego is a more powerful force than logic or experience... and also that those with the most testosterone and/or least experience are often the loudest voice in the room.

Happy New Year all...

Also a great post. My experiential trajectory has been very similar, and the evolution of my opinion on a wide variety of cartridges on game is much the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The smallest I have used is the pip-squeak 308 win in a 600 Remington - the mountains were steep! The largest and most often used is a 338 win Mag with 250 grain Partitions. There are no flies on the 338 with 250 grain partitions! I've had 4 ea. 338's and even though I had a 700 338 and a controlled feed 70, my favorite was a post 64 push feed. I no longer own a 338.

Another rifle I've used is the 350 RM in a Remington 600 with 250 grain Partitions - if I carry that rifle again I'll probably just use 250 grain Hornady Interlocks.

If I am lucky enough to draw another tag, I'll be using the 300 Weatherby in a Remington 700 with a synthetic stock and a 6x scope (or if I'm stuck with a variable it will be set on 6x). I'll be pushing 200 grain partitions out the end of the tube.

I suppose some would say that the 300 Weatherby/200 gr partitions is over kill. But I'm not as good a hunter as many and I don't get bulls standing sideways for me often enough.

BTW: I am not even close to an elk hunting expert as many on the fire are. But I used to live in elk country and used to see them on a daily basis. I shot my biggest bull a 1/4 mile from my home back then.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/31/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My posts aren’t great??? Slm’s aren’t great??? Sheesh

Last edited by Judman; 12/31/20.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SLM
It’s getting serious when Field and Stream gets quoted!

Don't make me break oit my Outdoor Life.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin’, I’m just here for the entertainment.

Like I posted earlier, elk threads are a hoot.

Some have already mentioned cartridge choice is irrelevant within reason. Whether they are carrying a Ruger American .243 with a Simmons 4X, or a Gap built .300 with a Nightforce, it’s going to be the same guys year after year knocking down mature bulls.

By the way, you got my wheels turning on a Creemoor’esq ML.

M posts aren’t great??? Slm’s aren’t great??? Sheesh

Page 47 of 54 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 843 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.