Hop To
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Real_Vermonter
Seeing we all don’t have the exploded rifle in front of us, we can only guess with the facts presented to us and use any expertise we each may have.

After looking at the pictures presented to us it appears as if there is a “3” on the base of the cartridge stuck in the breech of this exploded firearm but without a clearer view that is not possible to verify. After looking at my loading manuals the one cartridge that no one had brought up and has almost the same exact dimensions as a 7mm Remington magnum is the Winchester .338 Magnum. That might be a possibility. That would definitely cause a pressure spike if a .338 Magnum can be chambered in a 7mm Remington Magnum. Until someone inspects it we are only guessing.

How are you going to cram a piece of brass with a .370"Ø neck into a .320"Ø hole?

You ain't a gonna do it.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

That dent is classic from over lubing brass. Position, size, lack of gouging or scatches. I have seen a lot of other reloaders do it on a brass. Do a search through the forums here nd you can likely find a hundred examples. re: the bullet "gash"... As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt. If it is a gash and it is responsible for the dent in the brass, WHERE IS THE GASH IN THE BRASS AND WHY INSN'T IT AT LEAST SCRATCHED? Why didn't it even mark the neck?

I see no inconsistency with that being a pressure dent from excess lube, and I have never in 64 years of loading seen that dent produced any other way

In your 64 years of reloading, how many pre 64s have you seen blown up?

Let me ask this another way.

Is it POSSIBLE that the damage to this cartridge and bullet occurred when the rifle exploded?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog

Before This thread goes any further it probably would be a good idea to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the loaded round in this picture.

That is a reload! Save the picture and expand it out to double or better size and look at it.

What would lead you to that conclusion? GD

Anyone who's reloaded for any amount of time has created the same dent by having too much lube on the brass and running it into a full length resizer. Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Oh Jesus, ph ucking Colombo Jr is on the scene.. That dent isn’t from the kid reloading that dent is from that rifle being a ph ucking handgrenade... Good lord where do you guys come up with this chit..

Last edited by 79S; 12/30/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

That dent is classic from over lubing brass. Position, size, lack of gouging or scatches. I have seen a lot of other reloaders do it on a brass. Do a search through the forums here nd you can likely find a hundred examples. re: the bullet "gash"... As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt. If it is a gash and it is responsible for the dent in the brass, WHERE IS THE GASH IN THE BRASS AND WHY INSN'T IT AT LEAST SCRATCHED? Why didn't it even mark the neck?

I see no inconsistency with that being a pressure dent from excess lube, and I have never in 64 years of loading seen that dent produced any other way

In your 64 years of reloading, how many pre 64s have you seen blown up?

Let me ask this another way.

Is it POSSIBLE that the damage to this cartridge and bullet occurred when the rifle exploded?

No man, ok I finally pieced this together... so on the night of the 15th this guys jealous cousin (Tad) was enraged his cousin got grandpa’s prized rifle. Tad was like hell no! If I can’t have it, no one can have it. So off to his best buds house who reloads (Chazz St. James) Anyhow Chazz and Tad load one 7 mag round with 60gr of red dot. Tad and Chazz bro hug it out and Tad races back gam gam house to put the sabotaged shell in the box.. You guys know the rest of the story..

Last edited by 79S; 12/30/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been trying to figure out where the guy who bought a box, stuffed a round full of C4, then went back to the store and swapped it with another round bought the C4. I could use some to blow some beaver dams or something if it’s commonly available.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve been trying to figure out where the guy who bought a box, stuffed a round full of C4, then went back to the store and swapped it with another round bought the C4. I could use some to blow some beaver dams or something if it’s commonly available.

Only to the 24 hour campfire conspiracy theorist

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Box of ammo purchased. One round had
bullet pulled and powder dumped. Powder replaced with
C4 and bullet reseated....

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I remember reading stories of CIA
spooks, finding a cache of North Vietnamese ammo,
would plant just one round loaded with C4...

DF

One might have a hard time detonating PE
with rifle primer considering the desensitized
formula/nature of the product.. What was
used initially was the powdered (main ingredient)
of C4.

If C4 was so easy to set off one wouldn't require
3 stage detonator.(ignition, primary and base charge)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 79S

Before This thread goes any further it probably would be a good idea to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the loaded round in this picture.

That is a reload! Save the picture and expand it out to double or better size and look at it.

Anyone who's reloaded for any amount of time has created the same dent by having too much lube on the brass and running it into a full length resizer. Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Oh Jesus, ph ucking Colombo Jr is on the scene.. That dent isn’t from the kid reloading that dent is from that rifle being a ph ucking handgrenade... Good lord where do you guys come up with this chit..

I would think it might look a little more dirty covered with carbon & soot sitting in the magazine when kaboom happened.
Pretty much like it had been to hell and back dragged behind a truck, no?

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 79S

OK, I am willing to listen to an intelligent explanation.

Tell us how that dent got there without having powder residue, without crusshing laterally, without any semblance at all of gass curring when it would have been withingan inch ofthe base of the round that took the gun apart AND cut the base and web of the round almost completely away, without a scratch, without any brass splatter like the magazine floorplate without creasing AND in the normal place for a lube dent AND typical size for a lube dent AND completely symmetrical sides like a lube dent. There is zero evidence visible indicating that dent was caused in the blow up. In point of fact there isn't even evidence it was in the rifle.

BUT...Even if that round was NEVER in the rifle, which would often be the case since experienced shooter mostly load single rounds, that dent is very strong evidence that that round is a reload without any evidence thus far to support anything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not columbo, nor Angela Lansbury nor Mike Hammer but I could pass for Nero Wolfe. But I think the likelihood of either of those 2 shiny rounds being in the rifle at the time it sploded are very low.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The dent got there from the cartridge hitting the bench, the follower, the ground, or a combination, when the floorplate blew open. Smokeless powder burns pretty clean (Hence, the name) and not everything is covered with soot. There is still no evidence of anything happening other than the receiver failing. The cause(s), simply not known. GD

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The dent got there from the cartridge hitting the bench, the follower, the ground, or a combination, when the floorplate blew open. Smokeless powder burns pretty clean (Hence, the name) and not everything is covered with soot. There is still no evidence of anything happening other than the receiver failing. The cause(s), simply not known. GD

CIA spooks were performing a test flight of a new airborne weapons system mounted on a Reaper. They picked up the victim at the range with their sensors, aimed and fired the proton beam weapon destruction laser and scored a direct hit. They finished the mission laying down chemtrails while RTB...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

OK. Even AJ300MAG can come up with a better story than what you managed. Powder burns so clean that pierced primers or leaks around primers usually show black around the leak and the adjacent bolt face which may often also include pitting. Show me one case hurled against something with a dent like that.

The dent did not blow up the rifle. I have had a number of them over the years and fired all of them and afterwards could no longer identify the case nor did it in any case I remember even affect accuracy. That the case is a reload only means that it needs to be consider as a possibility when looking for an answer. That reloads are at least as likely to wreck a rifle as factory ammo and depending on the reloader, perhaps greatly more so. When coupled with the blow up those cases can be much more readily and perhaps much more definitively provide an explanation. And lastly of course, manufacturers have demonstrated a distinct aversion to standing behind rifle damage when reloads are involved to the point of stating that such use voids the warranty.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

OK. Even AJ300MAG can come up with a better story than what you managed. Powder burns so clean that pierced primers or leaks around primers usually show black around the leak and the adjacent bolt face which may often also include pitting. Show me one case hurled against something with a dent like that.

The dent did not blow up the rifle. I have had a number of them over the years and fired all of them and afterwards could no longer identify the case nor did it in any case I remember even affect accuracy. That the case is a reload only means that it needs to be consider as a possibility when looking for an answer. That reloads are at least as likely to wreck a rifle as factory ammo and depending on the reloader, perhaps greatly more so. When coupled with the blow up those cases can be much more readily and perhaps much more definitively provide an explanation. And lastly of course, manufacturers have demonstrated a distinct aversion to standing behind rifle damage when reloads are involved to the point of stating that such use voids the warranty.

I would file this response under the heading of “you can’t make this stuff up”. In that, after a long hiatus from this website, I’m guessing months, you are back and still convinced you have the answer(s) to everything. Read your recent posts again, classic “I’m smarter than you” permeates in everything you write. Classic blowhard.

Wow

Last edited by cfran; 12/31/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll cast another vote for "old rifle reaping years of being loaded too hot".

But that will take a metallurgical examination to determine.

Politics is War by Other Means
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt

Tell us how that dent got there without having powder residue

So the picture clarity is such that you can’t tell if that’s a gash or soot, but you are convinced that you can determine the cause of the dent and that there is no powder residue. Might be soot, but definitely not powder residue.
Got it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am not a highly trained gunsmith or a firearms forensic expert - but have seen a few things.

Not enough info to address the wrong cartridge/wrong dia.bullet stuff. Just adding to the many observations and opinions, and not very technical at that.

I think the matter is rather simple - damage caused by high pressure gases escaping from a separated case - maybe a damaged/defective case that gave up, maybe a bolt malfunction and not in full battery with case fully supported when touched-off - something like that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't have to show you one case, you just have to look at the picture and you'll see one. I don't know the ultimate cause of the blowup but I do know enough not to speculate when I cannot get a close look at the evidence. There is no evidence to suggest that round is a reload except a dent at the shoulder area. There are many ways to dent a case which do not include ineptitude at the reloading press. The only first hand witness I have heard from is the OP. He says the cartridges are factory loads and I have no reason to think he is lying; certainly your assertion to the contrary doesn't do it.
Now, I have seen several rifles which were destroyed by improper reloads. I have seen several rifles which were damaged by the use of the wrong ammunition. I have seen a half dozen which came apart when firing factory ammunition. In every case, these rifles were flawed or previously damaged. In one case where the rifle was only slightly damaged, the cause was a flawed piece of brass.
It is sad when personal injury arises from these mishaps and everyone thinks someone or some corporation must be responsible. Sometimes, it's just a series of unintended consequences. An action damaged slightly and failing years later, an action fatigued by the repeated use of borderline reloads (often hot enough to be in the proof load category), a mistake in powder choice, picking up the wrong cartridge; all of these things can result in a mishap and all make it difficult to assign blame. Sometimes, stuff happens. GD

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Please tell me you are not a cop..

Last edited by 79S; 12/31/20.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'll cast another vote for "old rifle reaping years of being loaded too hot".

But that will take a metallurgical examination to determine.

Nah man Angela Lansbury nephew miles58 figured it out. Reloads done did it..

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.