Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't have to show you one case, you just have to look at the picture and you'll see one. I don't know the ultimate cause of the blowup but I do know enough not to speculate when I cannot get a close look at the evidence. There is no evidence to suggest that round is a reload except a dent at the shoulder area. There are many ways to dent a case which do not include ineptitude at the reloading press. The only first hand witness I have heard from is the OP. He says the cartridges are factory loads and I have no reason to think he is lying; certainly your assertion to the contrary doesn't do it.
Now, I have seen several rifles which were destroyed by improper reloads. I have seen several rifles which were damaged by the use of the wrong ammunition. I have seen a half dozen which came apart when firing factory ammunition. In every case, these rifles were flawed or previously damaged. In one case where the rifle was only slightly damaged, the cause was a flawed piece of brass.
It is sad when personal injury arises from these mishaps and everyone thinks someone or some corporation must be responsible. Sometimes, it's just a series of unintended consequences. An action damaged slightly and failing years later, an action fatigued by the repeated use of borderline reloads (often hot enough to be in the proof load category), a mistake in powder choice, picking up the wrong cartridge; all of these things can result in a mishap and all make it difficult to assign blame. Sometimes, stuff happens. GD

I guess ol miles58 can’t see the mangled ph ucking bullet still stuffed inside the dented case..

Last edited by 79S; 12/31/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have bought lots of guns to overload them.

All I ever see with bolt actions is the bolt lugs bend, the bolt lug abutments in the receiver dent, the case head fails, pieces of the bolt head break off, and the extractor blows out the back in pieces along with pieces of the case head.

In the OP picture, the bolt lugs seem to have plowed right through the lug abutments in the receiver.

I have not seen anything like that in my failures. I see the abutments as slightly deforming in my failures. [bend, but not break]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
That is one HELL of a detonation.

Originally Posted by DocFoster
.. Some years back there was an
article in Handloader Magazine where the writer was
able to repeat the detonations.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

But I am also at a loss to explain the young mans
Rifle's detonation -

Smokeless powders are low-order explosives
that burn [conflagrate]. Not detonate.
where under certain conditions (containment in
brass case/rifle chamber) you get an explosion.

You can also ignite/burn C4 without achieving
detonation..It requires a certain level of shock
to alter the chemical bond (for detonation).

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by MILES58
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

That dent is classic from over lubing brass. Position, size, lack of gouging or scatches. I have seen a lot of other reloaders do it on a brass. Do a search through the forums here nd you can likely find a hundred examples. re: the bullet "gash"... As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt. If it is a gash and it is responsible for the dent in the brass, WHERE IS THE GASH IN THE BRASS AND WHY INSN'T IT AT LEAST SCRATCHED? Why didn't it even mark the neck?

I see no inconsistency with that being a pressure dent from excess lube, and I have never in 64 years of loading seen that dent produced any other way

In your 64 years of reloading, how many pre 64s have you seen blown up?

Let me ask this another way.

Is it POSSIBLE that the damage to this cartridge and bullet occurred when the rifle exploded?

I have only seen a couple of mode 70s blown up. Both I think happened to be 7 mags IIRC.
l
To produce a symmetrical dent like that without cuts/scratches indicates either very high and very localized pressure hydraulic most probably or possibly gas pressure. Producing that dent without being larger, without deflection in one direction or another, without cutting through would seem highly unlikely in a situation in which the case is not well enclosed all the way around and extending above and below the dent. Applying that kind of pressure to an unenclosed and unsupported case would have to deform the case pretty obviously in other ways and places. I suppose that a steel BB fired at high enough velocity at a perfect angle to the shoulder and with the case free to move some feet as a result could produce that dent without other obvious damage.

Is it possible that the damage (dent) occurred when the rifle exploded?

That would seem to require the presence of additional damage to the brass and it would seem to require additional evidence of powder/brass from the chamber round on it. If I had to guess, my guess would be that the round was not in the magazine and was likely on the bench with the first fired round and that the discoloration on the bullet could well be blood which from the description of the wounds was apparently available on site.

All I am saying is that the shoulder dent is evidence that that round may have been a reload and I believe it was. That evidence alone is enough reason to be careful about having that round and the remaining rounds in the box it supposedly came from examined. Both of the model 70s I saw that were blown up were reloads. I do not know now and never really did know then what the load was, or that it was in fact a bad load. It seems to me that basic common sense says to eliminate a bad load first and doubly so when there is evidence like this of a reload. That out of the way, then metallurgy work might tell you something, but the degree of certainty is not likely to be real high. I spent 3 years doing metallurgy on something that was previously diagnosed wrong and in a product whose proper function was every bit as critical to the user's health. I believe that if there is a bullet lodged in the barrel (reasonable chance but I have seen a 270 that digested a .308 bullet) and if the round on the table and those in the box are examined an answer will turn up that makes sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Rather than yield with deformity, the bottom lug abutment broke.

I usually see equal damage to bolt lug and lug abutment, but in this case only the abutment seemed to fail.

This would suggest to me that the receiver was brittle.

Maybe the smith read the Kuhnhausen book on Mausers and wanted heat treat.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe the smith had trouble getting it to feed and ground on the feed ramp
I would bet that the initial problem was soft brass failing, and old model 70s just can’t handle escaping gas well

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the lower bolt lug got shortened and bent, while the upper lug is intact.

That means the receiver split [and moved the upper lug abutment] before the bolt moved back.

Which means that, even if the smith compromised the lower abutment with feed ramp mods, the top abutment was still first to fail.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The barrel isn’t split or damaged that I can see. If this was a severe over pressure that exploded the action the barrel would have split also. The action is the only thing that failed and it’s almost certain that it was from a brittle and cracked lug abutment. I personally had a M70 detonate like this action but it was from using the wrong powder. Both the barrel and the action split because the failure was from pressure that exceeded the strength of barrel and action. In this case just the action failed and I believe it had simply become weak and the lug abutments had probably already been set back and developed cracks. It reached its failure point on this final shot.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Still of the opinion that overtightening of a non-factory, replacement barrel cracked the receiver.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Further, it is the only way they have created that dent.

Really? Only way?
And the gash in the bullet?

That dent is classic from over lubing brass. Position, size, lack of gouging or scatches. I have seen a lot of other reloaders do it on a brass. Do a search through the forums here nd you can likely find a hundred examples. re: the bullet "gash"... As far as I can blow that picture up and maintain decent clarity I cannot say for sure it is a gash. Might just be soot or other dirt. If it is a gash and it is responsible for the dent in the brass, WHERE IS THE GASH IN THE BRASS AND WHY INSN'T IT AT LEAST SCRATCHED? Why didn't it even mark the neck?

I see no inconsistency with that being a pressure dent from excess lube, and I have never in 64 years of loading seen that dent produced any other way

In your 64 years of reloading, how many pre 64s have you seen blown up?

Let me ask this another way.

Is it POSSIBLE that the damage to this cartridge and bullet occurred when the rifle exploded?

I have only seen a couple of mode 70s blown up. Both I think happened to be 7 mags IIRC.
l
To produce a symmetrical dent like that without cuts/scratches indicates either very high and very localized pressure hydraulic most probably or possibly gas pressure. Producing that dent without being larger, without deflection in one direction or another, without cutting through would seem highly unlikely in a situation in which the case is not well enclosed all the way around and extending above and below the dent. Applying that kind of pressure to an unenclosed and unsupported case would have to deform the case pretty obviously in other ways and places. I suppose that a steel BB fired at high enough velocity at a perfect angle to the shoulder and with the case free to move some feet as a result could produce that dent without other obvious damage.

Is it possible that the damage (dent) occurred when the rifle exploded?

That would seem to require the presence of additional damage to the brass and it would seem to require additional evidence of powder/brass from the chamber round on it. If I had to guess, my guess would be that the round was not in the magazine and was likely on the bench with the first fired round and that the discoloration on the bullet could well be blood which from the description of the wounds was apparently available on site.

All I am saying is that the shoulder dent is evidence that that round may have been a reload and I believe it was. That evidence alone is enough reason to be careful about having that round and the remaining rounds in the box it supposedly came from examined. Both of the model 70s I saw that were blown up were reloads. I do not know now and never really did know then what the load was, or that it was in fact a bad load. It seems to me that basic common sense says to eliminate a bad load first and doubly so when there is evidence like this of a reload. That out of the way, then metallurgy work might tell you something, but the degree of certainty is not likely to be real high. I spent 3 years doing metallurgy on something that was previously diagnosed wrong and in a product whose proper function was every bit as critical to the user's health. I believe that if there is a bullet lodged in the barrel (reasonable chance but I have seen a 270 that digested a .308 bullet) and if the round on the table and those in the box are examined an answer will turn up that makes sense.

I’m sure everyone here has reloaded more than me, but all of the lube dents I’ve ever seen or produced, were above the base of the shoulder, never on it or below it.

Last edited by kroo88; 12/31/20.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have worked on a Ruger in 7mm mag.that had a 270 win.shot in it.

It broke the stock in two at the wrist and the floor plate had a pronounced bow to it.

The fellow that shot it only had a few small cuts from brass.

This happened shooting at a coyote while sitting his truck.

Bet the sound was epic.

And that dent was not made with to much lube.

Last edited by plainsman456; 12/31/20.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kroo88

I’m sure everyone here has reloaded more than me, but all of the lube dents I’ve ever seen or produced, were above the base of the shoulder, never on it or below it.

Lube dents occur above, below, on the shoulder, into the neck and even in straight wall cases. The common defining characteristics are that it is a smooth (no sharp crease) dent with the rest of the case unmarked because it was supported tightly by the sizing die and pronounced length aligned with the length of the case.. Sometimes they are deeper at one end than the other. Most of the time they are symmetrical side to side but not predictably so end to end. I do not think I have ever seen a case that had multiple lube dents, but I suppose someone discovering their first one might lube it up again and run the case through the sizer trying to fix it and create a second dent.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Attached Images
7mmREMmag-do-not.jpg (42.88 KB, 500 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The barrel isn’t split or damaged that I can see. If this was a severe over pressure that exploded the action the barrel would have split also. The action is the only thing that failed and it’s almost certain that it was from a brittle and cracked lug abutment. I personally had a M70 detonate like this action but it was from using the wrong powder. Both the barrel and the action split because the failure was from pressure that exceeded.....

This is a common misconception. A severe over-pressure will not always split the barrel. In the example below the shooter filled the .257 Weatherby case with BlueDot and fired. One can clearly see that the barrel was not split. The rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard...

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341348&highlight=blue+dot

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

That's an excellent list of what can fit into a chamber and may fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How would one close the bolt on a 7mm ultra
or 300win cartridge?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
A little side track to the topic here, but I got interested in pressure events long ago with cast bullets and light charges and case fillers etc so this tragic event re awakened my interest. My google fu is pretty poor, my library limited, but I tried again to research air space and slow powders...it's shocking that anything that dangerous can be that hard to find data on. Anecdotally, I had a friend, now deceased who was involved in a tort case in which he, as an expert witness, duplicated a light load of slow powder in a .264 Win I think...with some input by Rick Jamison, blew a model 70 all to hell and documented and filmed the whole thing. After all that, a settlement was reached, all the plaintiff got was medical expenses and an undisclosed sum, the ammo company (I can't recall) admitting no liability. Anyway, first try, John blew up the model 70 with a light charge.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by greydog
The dent got there from the cartridge hitting the bench, the follower, the ground, or a combination, when the floorplate blew open. Smokeless powder burns pretty clean (Hence, the name) and not everything is covered with soot. There is still no evidence of anything happening other than the receiver failing. The cause(s), simply not known. GD

OK. Even AJ300MAG can come up with a better story than what you managed. Powder burns so clean that pierced primers or leaks around primers usually show black around the leak and the adjacent bolt face which may often also include pitting. Show me one case hurled against something with a dent like that.

The dent did not blow up the rifle. I have had a number of them over the years and fired all of them and afterwards could no longer identify the case nor did it in any case I remember even affect accuracy. That the case is a reload only means that it needs to be consider as a possibility when looking for an answer. That reloads are at least as likely to wreck a rifle as factory ammo and depending on the reloader, perhaps greatly more so. When coupled with the blow up those cases can be much more readily and perhaps much more definitively provide an explanation. And lastly of course, manufacturers have demonstrated a distinct aversion to standing behind rifle damage when reloads are involved to the point of stating that such use voids the warranty.

I would file this response under the heading of “you can’t make this stuff up”. In that, after a long hiatus from this website, I’m guessing months, you are back and still convinced you have the answer(s) to everything. Read your recent posts again, classic “I’m smarter than you” permeates in everything you write. Classic blowhard.

Wow

😀😀😀😀😀

BINGO!! New year, same old dickhead58.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve seen one modern 308 M70 (FN) which literally blew the f up.

An acquaintance who had recently started reloading used an appropriate powder charge by weight, but he accidentally swapped whatever IMR powder he had on the bench for his .40, instead of IMR 4064.

Barrel landed at the 50 yard line, left side of action peeled out like a banana, stock cracked right at the front of action, scope rail and scope bent. Bolt still in battery. Got a pic, don’t really know how to post it these days.

Other than [bleep] his pants, luckily the shooter was unharmed.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
A little side track to the topic here, but I got interested in pressure events long ago with cast bullets and light charges and case fillers etc so this tragic event re awakened my interest. My google fu is pretty poor, my library limited, but I tried again to research air space and slow powders...it's shocking that anything that dangerous can be that hard to find data on. Anecdotally, I had a friend, now deceased who was involved in a tort case in which he, as an expert witness, duplicated a light load of slow powder in a .264 Win I think...with some input by Rick Jamison, blew a model 70 all to hell and documented and filmed the whole thing. After all that, a settlement was reached, all the plaintiff got was medical expenses and an undisclosed sum, the ammo company (I can't recall) admitting no liability. Anyway, first try, John blew up the model 70 with a light charge.

Anyone else have more info on this, or possibly some documentation? I've been considering the SEE theory along with a few others....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.