Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Right-on.

Just woke up. Had a dream I got mixed up with two young single chicks. There was fishing for big trout, bikinis, guns, to top it off I found a free stash of Starrett measurement tools! Woke up happy!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did they drive a Jeep?

Get close and wack em hard!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BS2
Did they drive a Jeep?

Of course!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don’t think this one is for sale.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thats a nice looking old lathe. What brand?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
1943 Springfield 16" x 56" Gear Head Lathe

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
My neighbor’s.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago, I started on an old Sebaston in my company's shop.They had South Bend and I bought a big Leblond for them for $12K. We made sabots for tank killer rounds on it. They sold everything when they closed down and I missed a lot including 3 Bridgeport mills with all the tooling that went cheap.I ended up a small Jet, 36" bed 1/1/2" spindle for $300, that has about .002 run out an slop in the cross feed. . It's good enough to fix things here on my small farm an d I have been able to make a few expander plugs for Lees dies for my old 38-40 and 38-55 that shoot over sized cast

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/08/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Monarch 10EE and a Clausing 6913 in 14X48. The Monarch is wonderful but not easily adapted to barrel work. The Clausing is a variable speed machine. I have a couple or 5 friends that have Heavy 10 Southbends. I run from them. Yeah I know that a lot of folks make them work, but not me. I have used a couple Grizzlies and they really impressed me. If I had one I would install a VFD for better control of the spindle speed. Problem with them is the D1-5 AND D1-6 chucks. Way too big and heavy! Yeah, thirty years ago I was into weight lifting, but no more.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/09/21.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I have a Monarch 10EE and a Clausing 6913 in 14X48...

I am green with envy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've heard far too many complaints about Grizzly tools- especially their machine tools - to take a chance on them. Their QC is absolute crap and customer service after the sale from experienced machinists I know is rated very low. The PM is just a few steps above the Grizzly in the reviews I have read about them. I have a couple Grizzly tools I bought at garage sales and other places and while they have lots of cast iron in them, the assembly, fit, and finish is questionable and adjustments are horrible- especially on the 6 x 48 Sander 9" disc combo I have...

Check on shipping quotes to your area on LTL carriers and see if it would be worthwhile to have a used machine shipped if you can find the right deal. Much better chance of finding one with tooling . For the right deal it would be worth driving quite a distance to pick up with a trailer and bring home. A really nice South Bend Heavy 10 or a Craftsman Model 12 IIRC, which is basically the same machine. Same as the smaller Atlas and Craftsman machines are basically the same machines. Parts are still available for almost all of these more common machines also, new and used.

Once you have a good lathe, you'll be looking for all kinds of projects to do with it. I've made a bunch of parts on mine for my hot rod- bushings, etc... and whatever I can find to get some practice...

I have a number of Grizzly machines and tools.Zero complaints from me. Shipping was really slow recently...

My gunsmith lathe is a Nardini 1440. If I were buying a new one I would look hard at the South Bend 1440 or Kent

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
...I have a number of Grizzly machines and tools.Zero complaints from me. Shipping was really slow recently...

I would look hard at the South Bend 1440...

South Bend is now a Grizzly brand. I would pass on Grizzly machines, as I have been disappointed in the two I have owned.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would stay away from the Craftsman type lathe or any of the smaller lathes that do not have a V grove on the bed. I have seen too many of the ones that do not have V groves have trouble keeping the tail stock and saddle in perfect alignment.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
...I have a number of Grizzly machines and tools.Zero complaints from me. Shipping was really slow recently...

I would look hard at the South Bend 1440...

South Bend is now a Grizzly brand. I would pass on Grizzly machines, as I have been disappointed in the two I have owned.

The Taiwanese lathes are pretty dang nice. Anything with a Grizzly banner is now Chinese.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
New, tight machines are nice, but you’ll learn a whole lot more on one that’s been around.

I’m speaking of lathes...........

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Clausing 5913 in 2002 that had been Boeing.
I chamered some rifles.

I had an Atlas 12x36.
I chambered a few rifles with it.

I had a Grizzly mini lathe and chambered a few pistols with it.

In 2009 I ordered a new PM1236 Precision Matthews with DRO. I have used it nearly every day for 12 years.

My brother hates foreign stuff, but he has had a Jet 13x40 for 20 years and cannot find anything wrong with it.

The guy at Applied Science is way smarter than me at technical stuff, and he has a Griz gunsmithing lathe for science.
https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedScience/videos

I believe in imported lathes and old American mills.... follow the money.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hey hey... A few things.

Mr Lambert, the other day I had the pleasure and entertainment of coming across a Practical Machinst thread in which you thoroughly handed a non-smithing machinist prick his internet ass during a classic debate between the through the headstock vs between centers schools. I am still grinning.

Out of hundreds of used lathe ads I have seen exactly one with "lots" of tooling. A broken lathe, and chinky tools and a dubious story. From what I have seen you are damned lucky to get a proper steady rest with a good used lathe.

Some fantastic machines, built to last, are out there, but, damned few meet my criteria which has been more narrowly defined lately. Frankly I don't want 7.5 hp, I will not take a 25" wide headstock or 1.25" spindle bore. I do really like some of those 15/16/18x50/60 machines, but, they are simply not what I need. Goodness I don't want to be lugging around a 15" chuck either!

While it might make sense to jump in at $2500 and see if I even like turning, LOL, I am probably going all in. Just about to make the plunge, another week or two I should be there. Gulp. LOL

Appreciate all the great input on this. Don't get me wrong, I too think it'd be great to get $10000 worth of tooling thrown in cause I'm so nice, but, I ain't holding my breath.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Those are tools, true. But that is not what he needs...holding tools, chucks, steady rest, cutting tools, boring tools, threading tools, centers, sleeves, taper tooling, adapters, chucking reamers, drills, tool post grinder, on and on...lathe/turning tools as opposed to machinists personal tools.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/15/21.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm aware of that, but measuring tools are extremely helpful and expensive to procure as you go. Also, the ad says he has many other tools and some are shown on the pics. It would be worth an ask to see what was available and to see if he had some Aloris style tool holders to go with his cutters and boring bars, among other things.... all part of the negotiations, IMO....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.