Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
308 with 155 Scenar’s @ 2900 fps is my current hunting tool of choice. It really gets the job done, no qualms.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Leafing through my copy of the May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, I
encountered an ad for Krieger Barrels, Inc. that showed an actual-size
copy of a 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with
his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle." Now this group has a .942" mean
radius, with an extreme spread of 3.325. If it were a 5-shot group,
you'd say, "Somebody else has shot that well at 1,000 yards." But a
20-shot group? God!!

Bartbob Inline image 2
5/13/97

I used a .308 Win. with Sierra's 155-gr. Palma bullet with 45.3gr. of
IMR4895 and RWS Primers in full-length sized WCC60 match cases. Had a 20X
scope on the English Paramount action and shot prone with a bag under my
front hand to steady the rifle. It was about 6AM in dead-calm wind
conditions.
BB

https://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/308_loads.html

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always disliked the 30-06 and after owning a few 308's I dislike the 06 even more........ In general 30 cals aren't my favorite but the 308 is good to go.

Last edited by irfubar; 01/05/21.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Where I hunt has more to do with my rifle and cartridge choice than the game itself. A lot of the elk and deer hunting that I’ve done here in western WA is in fairly dense timber with lots of contour lines really close together on the map. You might see something out in the open in a clearcut on an opposing ridge line, but I have more success in the timber where most other hunters won’t go. Playing the clearcut game can result in disputes on who shot what. I recall a 4x4 bull elk being hit by as many as three different hunters immediately after emerging into a clearcut from the trees. It was like the scene in Platoon where Sgt. Elias is running from the NVA and taking hit after hit. Not my cup of tea.

Instead, I like to move slowly and quietly through the timber where there is sign of game. The suitability of my rifle is more about how I long I can carry it and how quickly I can shoot. A short, light rifle in the hands is quicker to bear than a heavier and longer rifle slung on the shoulder due to its heft.

Rifles like the Remington Model Seven, chambered in something like 308, with a fixed 4x or a low powered variable like the 1.75-6x, are perfect for this kind of hunting. 165gr Accubonds at 2600 fps sounds pretty pedestrian, but its plenty effective!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

On the recoil difference between the 308 & 30-06.
About 20 years ago I assembled a scout rifle with a 600 Rem and a Clifton stock. The 600 had a very thin 18.5# barrel. It weighed under 6.5#. I shot it a lot with 150’s. I was astounded by the lack of recoil. I thought it kicked about like my 7.5# 270.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Playing the clearcut game can result in disputes on who shot what.

My hunting buddy hunted Naches WA where he got cows but never a bull elk. He told me a 7mmRM was too small for elk, you need a 300WM. So he retired to MT to try to get a bull elk. He had his chance but wounded it. It went over a hill where the bull was tagged by a teenager with a 22-250.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

On the weight issue. I am with BRAD. A rifle carried in the hands gets heavy quickly. Same thing happens when you scramble around rough country. You notice every ounce.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even though I've owned many 308's. I definitely prefer the '06! The only reason for the 308, in my mind is that it is easier to find light rifles in 308. The only reason for a lighter rifle for me is if I'm in the steep mountains. But since I have a 350 RM in a Remington 600 I've eliminated that advantage of the lighter rifle/308 since the 350 is definitely a many steps above the 308 in every hunting aspect.
But if I were to shoot competitive target shooting where 1/8" group was needed, I'd be looking at the 308 as an option.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/06/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone knows (or should know) weight makes a difference PERIOD. in a lifetime of flying (and hunting) weight management is a critical component. Anyone that claims they can see an actual difference in "killing power" between the 06 and the 08 is making a purely emotional statement devoid of logic.

I do see where an 06 would make more sense when using bullets in excess of 200 grains but with today's bullets, i'd like to see a 200 or even 220 grain cup and core, outperform say a 165-180 premium. That leaves one point of discussion, that of recoil. While recoil CAN be measured as a function of foot pounds and mitigated by stock design etc, the issue of PERCEIVED recoil is about as subjective as it gets. And TO ME, a 308's recoil even in a light rifle is not even a consideration when making a decision to select a rifle. On an "Express" rifle, that is another matter. I reached my limit with an 8 lb SAKO action Browning Safari 458 Winchester years ago and by the same token, I can shoot a 340 Weatherby off the bench all day long. Do I prefer LESS recoil? of course I do and that is why I stated in my OP that I had come full circle and give the 308 the credit it deserves and now gets the nod over an 06 for most applications.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I think they should call it a .308 Almost. It's almost as good as a 30-06. For most hunting situations I would expect little or no difference, but when there is one, it favors the 30-06.

Any accuracy difference is irrelevant for big game hunting. I used to shoot 600-yard NRA matches with both.

.308 rifles can be a couple of ounces lighter. So what? Most of us are 20 pounds overweight, or more.

If I had either one, I would not change it for the other.

As for those who think a 30-06 recoils too much, either you don't know how to shoot, your rifle doesn't fit, or you're holding it wrong. I doubt if anyone can tell the difference between a .308 and a 30-06 under hunting conditions anyway.

Where a .308 shines is if you really like Savage 99s or Winchester 88s. Also, surplus military brass and ammo may be earser to find but I've got a lifetime of 30-06 stuff from target shooting long ago.

I'll let you shoot my loads in my Kimber Montana 308 and same rifle in 30-06. I guarantee there is a big difference in recoil. Enough that I sold the 30-06 and kept the 308.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'll let you shoot my loads in my Kimber Montana 308 and same rifle in 30-06. I guarantee there is a big difference in recoil. Enough that I sold the 30-06 and kept the 308.

Bill, I strayed from my first love (the 308 MT) and flirted with a couple of 30-06 MT’s. Indeed, in a platform as light as the Kimber MT, the 308 is infinitely preferable to the 30-06 and I only relearned the lesson I’d learned decades before... cartridges are more alike than different.

30-06:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

308:

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad, it looks like the one you shot with the .308 landed in a much better place!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teeder
Brad, it looks like the one you shot with the .308 landed in a much better place!

Lol, another “better 308” landing:

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

Folks who prefer the 257 Weatherby..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

Man, I'll bet that pink Weatherby guy's butt hurts right about now.

And, what's up with that blue 6.5 Creedmoor guy sneakin' up on him like that!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
loss of a dog is always tough. I love loved all Finn's books and articles and I am a .308 guy.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad - I never get tired of seeing big elk! I've learned alot from you over the years but had to learn the lightweight 30-06 lesson my self. Same with lightweight 7mm magnums. Too much gun in a lightweight package - at least for me, but I'm a wimp. Not so coincidentally, of the the elk I've shot with the 308 and 270 all died just as quickly as the ones I've shot with 300 WSM, 300 SAUM. For a while, I thought the 300 WSM was magic, at least until I started shooting them with the 270 and 308. cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have handled, but did not fire, a NULA chambered in 300 Weatherby. I bet it was a bit sporty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol, another “better 308” landing:

Nice!
What's your bullet of choice for the .308 these days?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I have handled, but did not fire, a NULA chambered in 300 Weatherby. I bet it was a bit sporty.

That loosens my fillings just thinking about it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman

The first NULA (actually ULA) I fooled with was one of Melvin's "loaner" rifles, one of several he sent to gun writers for testing, in .300 Winchester Magnum. It had a 24" No. 2 Douglas barrel, and was a bit sporty. But I was young and pretty recoil-tolerant, so worked up some loads, eventually ending up with three that shot well under an inch, using the 165 Hornady Spire Point at around 3140 fps, the 180 Speer Grand Slam at around 3025, and the 200 Nosler Partition at 2950. All shot very well, and in fact I shot three, 3-shot groups (one with each bullet) into one 9-shot group of just about an inch (which is what introduced me to the tendency of Melvin rifles to shoot loads with different bullet weights into the same basic place. Took it elk hunting that fall, but the only elk I saw were not legal in that area--though I did take a mule deer doe with it while hiking back to the truck one night

According to my notes I put 135 rounds through that rifle working up loads. Kinda wanted to buy it, but Melvin wouldn't sell the test rifles. Nowadays I wouldn't even want to shoot it much--if at all!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Anaconda, AscensionIndustries, Amos63, arky65, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,097
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.