Originally Posted by Bugger
The 308 is for those who cannot stand the tremendous recoil of a full size cartridge like the 30-06.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
.308 rifles can be a couple of ounces lighter. So what? Most of us are 20 pounds overweight, or more. As for those who think a 30-06 recoils too much, either you don't know how to shoot, your rifle doesn't fit, or you're holding it wrong. I doubt if anyone can tell the difference between a .308 and a 30-06 under hunting conditions anyway.

At almost 60 in a few months, I'm likely not 1 lb overweight, let alone 20.

The majority of the hunting I do is mountain backpack hunting, where (as good a shape as I'm in - and I'm in damn good shape) I find ounces matter. A 6.5lb (all-up) 308 rifle is not only easier to carry (ounces make pounds), it's more enjoyable to shoot than a similarly weighted 30-06. I KNOW this because I've had rifles chambered in that weight in both cartridges. The 308 kicks noticeably less in a 6.5b rifle.

I've also found on multiple bull elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, etc., with each the 30-06 and 308 there's not one whit of difference between them in the real world of killing, vs. the world of sitting on one's fat ass whilst on the internet opining about something said person obviously has no experience with.

So, while everyone can have an opinion, not all opinions are remotely equal. Just a thought...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery