Shaman, I'm honored I got included in your Christmas celebrations smile

Sometime in the 80's/90's Finn got intrigued by Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept. The 308, due to its NATO/Military status, was Cooper's primary choice as a chambering for the Scout Rifle. So, Finn started using the round more and more, and I suspect being a practical Norwegian (think cheap - I'm 75% Norwegian), he probably latched onto it for its preeminent practicality. Hardly anything is cheaper than 30 cal bullets and 308 brass. He also appreciated it did everything the 30-06 did, but kicked less. He used the 308 in the last few years of his life competing in the Keneyathlon (a practical, field shooting competition). I think Finn just liked "things that work." And the 308 does.

I agree with BWalker, I think the 7-08 is the slightly better mousetrap - but not in terms of wide availability. In that case, the 308 wins all the marbles. If I lived in an isolated rural setting anywhere in the world, and lived off the land (by the rifle) I'd take the 308 over anything.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery