Shaman, sorry about your pup. I've lost a couple over the years and it's never easy. Probably won't have another for this very reason. My wife had to make the last trip to our vet as I just couldn't do it.

I guess I have never thought that the .308 was any better or worse for hunting than 7mm-08's, 30-06 or for that matter other caliber close in size. I have a couple of 7-08's and they are among my favorite rifles for hunting. Several weeks ago I responded to a post where I was rightfully questioned by Mule Deer about a comment I made comparing 7mm-08 to the .308. JB just knows his stuff and I've got to be more careful in the future.

Please, I don't mean to this to become a pity party but, just before this Christmas, I lost my brother to Covid and, his (and my) friend 3 days later to another illness. They were both too old to hunt any longer but, the three of us made numerous trips to our local range to shoot. Their caliber of choice was the .308 Win. I'd usually bring whatever rifle/caliber I planned to hunt with the next season. I learned to reload from both these gentlemen and guess they were much more knowledgeable than I about the virtues of this caliber. My brother owned several guns, but loved his three 308's.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/04/21.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.