Why the 308? Not sure his reason, but one can speculate. I have killed deer, and elk with the 308, and 30-06. Both, are great, can't go wrong with either. I currently have a 30-06 in savage weather warrior116. Nice gun, shoots1 moa with hand loads. My son has a 308. Rem 700 adl that I got from scenar shooter. Very accurate gun, 1/2 to 3/4 moa I have shot it quite a bit, killed 1 big 6 point bull, and several wolves with it.. It has less recoil than the 30-06. As a broad generalization, I would say that the 308 is more accurate, with a little less recoil, and a little easier to develop accurate hand loads for. I know there will always be exceptions. I am planning to switch to a Tikka 308 this summer for these reasons. As to on game performance,90% of hunters will never tell the difference on their deer or elk. As mentioned above the 30-06 will be better with bullets over180 grains. If I had big bears as a consideration, I would stay with the 30-06 and go with the 200 grain bullet . But most hunters don't have to deal with that as a consideration.