Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I see no difference between the 30-06 the 308 or the 270 as far as recoil or a big difference or trajectory out to 250 yards I do know the 30-06 has the authority as far as knock down power up close over the other 2

I've owned 270's and 30-06's in identical M700's (even made the same year) and in tang safety M77's. The 06 definitely has more recoil........

I guess recoil is considered differently by people. My 30-06 is stocked to fit me, has a good recoil pad and yes it "kicks" harder than my similar 270 but neither bother me a lot. And when shooting at game animals I really never notice it. I would rather shoot a long string at the bench with the 270 than the light 308 or the 30-06 because felt recoil is pretty mild noting the rifle weighs around 9 pounds. The 30-06 closer to 8 1/4 pounds. The 308 is kind of buckish with hunting loads off the bench because it is light and short. However I can easily shoot them enough to be capable with any of the three and other rifles that actually put out some "kick". I never really considered recoil (within reason) to be an issue with a hunting rifle. I had for a time a light 338 that was brutal at the bench but it still handily killed two elk for me before I sold it and built a 35 Whelen.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]