This is a great thread - this is what I love about the campfire and what lured me out of lurker status & info gatherer into participating.

Moving to VT had my mind spinning when the longer shots that as a mountain backpack hunter I’d spent a lifetime practicing and equipping for we’re no longer even a consideration. Never owned a .308 before and frankly never saw the need - most of my hunting life pre-dates rangefinders & dialing scopes - so always chose the velocity champs in any particular category.

Eastern hunting has nullified all the advantages that the hard kicking flat shooters seemingly provide. First rifle I picked up was an old Ruger 77 RL and after accurizing that little critter it quickly became my favorite. Seems that others on this thread had their epiphany at different times in their careers, mine came late but I’m really happy to be enlightened.

44gr IMR4064 & Horn 150 is a stone cold & reliable killer for me.

I still get a kick out of a 340 Weatherby slinging a 225 like a 270 slings a 130 but as time goes on, that 340 just stays in the rack.

Much love for Finn.