I sold my last two 308’s in the last year or two - AR-10 & 783. Though the neighbor that ‘bought’ the 783 skipped out without paying.
Being a military cartridge with buckets of brass available at so much a lb, the cartridge was bound to be a success. (A guy once gave me a good size bucket of military 7.62x51 brass. )
The military spends a few $’s on R&D. They don’t often screw up when they choose a cartridge (to say nothing about the 9mm, ha ha). If the 7.62x51 is a good cartridge for a man size target it aught to be good for white tail.
My favorite 308’s were Remington 660’s and the cheap 600’s without the ribs. I re-barreled a 1962 vintage 700 carbine from 308 to 358, just because, but I kept the 308 barrel, maybe it’ll be a 308 again.
When a rifle comes along and it is chambered in a 308, there isn’t a deterrent based on the cartridge. The 308 isn’t a cartridge that, at least some of us, dream about someday being able to get.
To me the 308 is a very good carbine cartridge that will do ok in a full size rifle too.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally