Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
one I guess ... both parents grew up on the farm
My brother and me now own the land on lookout mountain that my paternal grandfather sharecropped for in the late 30's ..... thank God

My wife's parents are pretty much the same ...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my father farmed on the home place til i was 9... then we moved to illinois...

the original home place was 50 acres. over the years my grandfather added on a couple of pieces of ground... the farm we moved away from in 1967 was 220 acres....
in 1996 my step- grandmother died and, to pay her expenses of the previous few years, the family sold off the farm...

i bought the original 50..... john w

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
On my mother's side, most were chicken farmers. So was my mother so I guess that would be 1. My father's side were lumbermen and paper makers.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm still involved in agriculture.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
My High School job for three year was on a farm here in Benton County Oregon.
My maternal grandfather was a farmer here as was his father and his grandfather (my great, great grandfather) who homesteaded here.

Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two, Witch ment that I was the extra labor that was needed for Haying, harvest, or when someone needed cows milked for a day or two. Lot of good memorys from those days.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am two generations removed. My mother's parents made a living through dairy farming, and my dad's parents raised crops. My father's family farm was sold off 11 years ago to the people that they had leased it to since the 70's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife and I run a hay and cattle farm in Alberta and care for the land as best we can.

My father was the son of a career British Army Major. Dad spent most of his childhood on his grandfather's farm in Wales, but he was raised British upper middle class, gentlemen's finishing school and all. At the age of 18 (on his birthday actually), he hopped a boat to Canada to work as a hired man on a distant relative's ranch. I can just see him walkin into the bunkhouse in his wool trousers, "Helllooo gentlemen, I'm the new hand, which bunk is mine?" After a bit, he managed to turn into a decent cowboy and could roll a smoke on horseback with one hand while cuttin calves with the other hand. Saw him do it myself when I was just past knee sittin age.

Anyways, he eventually quit the ranch and married a small town Saskatchewan farm girl. Shortly afterward, they bought out her dad and set to farmin themselves. Bout the age of 49, just when the farm was becoming sucessful, he up and died of a heart attack. I ran the farm for a year and continued with my grade 10 as well. Just barely managed to avoid failing a both. My mom sat me down and gave me the straight goods. Quit school or quit farmin. She recommended quitin farmin. I took her advice.

I laid down a trail of dust headin outta Saskatchewan for the Rocky Mountains the day I finished school that you could see for miles. I was a game warden and Parks Canada warden for a while, lived up north near treeline for a while, did some mountain rescue and avalanche control and eventually got into avalanche safety as a manager. My wife, (daughter of second generation farmers herself), and I managed to make a few dollars on some real estate transactions along the way (Dad always said, "Buy land, they ain't makin any more of it!") so we decided to buy a farm.

Good decision (so far anyway wink ). My daughter does her homework and book readin down by the creek on a blanket, the other daughter walks less than 100 steps from her bed to feed her horse, and my son roams the hills with his sling shot. Wife's in the garden right now cussin all the damage the mule deer bucks did and I'm goin back out to put the broke down hay wagon back together now that it's a bit cooler.

Might even shoot a few gophers from the deck if they're still out when I get done with the wagon.

Model 600s in 308 Win and 6mm Rem, nuther one rebarreled to 22-250, matched pair of Model 660's in 6.5mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag, NEED a 660 in 222.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I believe what some people tell me, not enough...
They allude to my simian characteristics, and mention a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal...I deny it, of course.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

How many generations are you removed from agriculture?

In other words, how far down the family tree do you have to go to find a farmer, rancher, trapper, etc. who made their living from the land?

I am two generations removed.
My fraternal grandparents were crop farmers and latter, dairy farmers.

I attribute many of my values and ethics to my early exposure to that life style and the influence of my parents / grandparents. I am curious about the values, ethics, and lifestyles among hunters and outdoorsmen and wondering if there might be a correlation.

My grandfather had a farm. One of his sons ended up ranching some and then raising horses.

My wife and I have a small horse training and boarding place but it's far from a real farm. I do get to deal with many tons of manure, spraying weeds, fixing fences, managing runoff in the winter, and all of the fun stuff....just on a small scale.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My grand father homesteaded some land during the 1880s. My dad lived in the same county for 98 years and made his living from farming and cattle. I grew up on the farm untill I was drafted into the army. The GI Bill helped pay for college so I did not go back the the farm as dad expected. I own the farm my great uncle homesteaded but its rented out.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Grampa'a farm went south in the depression. My dad went into corporate dairy science after college. I moved to country, but kept my day job (attorney).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Grandpa was a commercial fisherman til he retired in 1957...kinda like a farmer without the dirt, I guess.
Dad had a dairy for a while, but luckily he sold it before I was old enough to help.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (2ndwind, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,019
Posts18,520,757
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.