Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by erich
Because you can't get a Sav 99 in 30-06

Exactly why I bought one. It was the platform I wanted more than the round. But now it’s both.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My first Savage 99 was a .308 my father bought for me, after I took my first deer with his Marlin .30-30--which was 52 years ago. That proved I was a far-gone hunter and rifle loony, so he took me to a local (Bozeman, Montata) store which had a great selection of used rifles, and told me to pick one out, up to $50 in price. The 99 was $55, but he said that was OK. It turned out to be very accurate, and I hunted with it for several years, but when I got even loonier sold it to buy something something else. He'd passed away, so never knew, but still regret my young decision. Luckily I have several of his other guns....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, I can relate. For me it was an H&R single shot 410 at age 10. I was so proud. It went “down the road” for something bigger and better.

The 308 is one of the best.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My boss doesn’t hunt but his oldest boy (28 years old) wants to start. The boy knows nothing about guns or optics. My boss asked me if I would talk to the young man about his options and help him select a firearm. I’m going to suggest a Tikka in .308 with a Leupold of some sort in 3-9.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
In my opinion the .308 Winchester is the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm really fond of the .308 Win.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only .308 I’ve owned was a Montana that I ended up selling to some lucky recipient here on the ‘fire. I really wish I’d kept it as it shot several types of ammo to the same POI and held sub-MOA groups even though I hadn’t learned the tricks to shooting good groups from light rifles yet at the time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing that's still amazing to me is how many hunters consider the .308 a "deer" cartridge and the .30-06 an all-around big game cartridge, more suitable for elk-sized game.

Have not just killed but seen a lot of big game taken with both over the decades, and the .308 kills include not just elk but African "plains game" of the same size, including animals often considered even harder to kill than elk, such as zebra, blue wildebeest and gemsbok. All of those animals died just as quickly as they did when shot with a .30-06.

I’ve taken a 308 to Africa twice and not once did I feel under gunned. I killed all those mentioned by MD and Eland as well. I like the 308 and have been using it since 1957. Joyce Hornady introduced me to the 308 and reloading as well.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 01/10/21. Reason: Double quote

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why the .308: because it launches a .308" bullet of "x" grains weight, at a velocity of "y," fps and fits a short action rifle.

I think it's a simple thing to figure out.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The police in my town were investigating the killing a deer with a pellet gun in 2020.

An elephant was killed in Kaeng Krachan National Park with a 22LR in 2013.

25 years ago I realized the most common cartridges used on Elk would scale down to imply the 223 is overkill for any deer.

The fallacy in my reasoning is that the appropriate cartridge is used for the game. What really happens is that hunters use the cartridge they can handle* and work backwards to justify it.............. just like reasoning in politics.

* 10 pound rifles for men and 5 pound rifles for boys.... then work backwards to justify.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
30 06 is better with heavier bullets because it holds more powder.their are no flies on the 308 up to 168 grs after that the 06 case capacity is needed in my book. When I want 180+ bullets at 2900fps I use a magnum case. Keeps things simple and pressures where they need to be. Some people think you should be able to have 1 gun do everything perfectly that idea is purely minimalist and boring as hell to me. People change cartridges looking for answers they think they didn't have before. They had them they just couldn't see them or acknowledge them it's not a cartridge failure but a human one. Now if someone made a AR -10 in 30-06 I could dump the runt. Mb

My exact sentiment. I dont really like the little 308, but actually bought one today, to keep my AR10 company.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion the 308 cures cancer--maybe even the Wuhan Virus............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion the 308 cures cancer--maybe even the Wuhan Virus............

Maybe it does. According to mule deer, you could load the 308 "with horse manure" and it will shoot good. It might just come down to that, with todays powder and primer crisis...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually I suggested it might shoot well when loaded with "double-based" horse manure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Actually I suggested it might shoot well when loaded with "double-based" horse manure.

I'm afraid to speculate what that horse has been eating to produce double based manure........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Maybe it does. According to mule deer, you could load the 308 "with horse manure" and it will shoot good. It might just come down to that, with todays powder and primer crisis...

lol.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ha ha.. Ok, that's how it went. Thanks for clarifying..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
The police in my town were investigating the killing a deer with a pellet gun in 2020.

An elephant was killed in Kaeng Krachan National Park with a 22LR in 2013.

25 years ago I realized the most common cartridges used on Elk would scale down to imply the 223 is overkill for any deer.

The fallacy in my reasoning is that the appropriate cartridge is used for the game. What really happens is that hunters use the cartridge they can handle* and work backwards to justify it.............. just like reasoning in politics.

* 10 pound rifles for men and 5 pound rifles for boys.... then work backwards to justify.

Careful, lest you incur the wrath and get accused of blow drying your chest hairs....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RinB
The 600 had a very thin 18.5# barrel. It weighed under 6.5#.

How did it weigh under 6.5# if the barrel weighed 18.5# ???? laugh

Sorry, as a literalist I couldn't help myself.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I switched from a 270win/30-06 to the 308 4 or 5 years ago. since then I've killed all my deer and elk, and several hogs with the cartridge. what prompted me to make the switch was an article I found on the web, written by john barsness, entitled "the 308 is great". I wanted a copy of the magazine containing the article and said so here on the fire. sure enough, one of our members had the exact mag and sent it to me for free. I promptly ordered a win model 70 ew in 308 as well as a ruger wood/blue hawkeye, also in 308. I gave my 270's to kids/grandkids and my 30-06 will go that same route next deer season. I shoot factory ammo. both 308's shoot 150gr fed blue box very well, which is all I use for deer/hogs. for elk I shoot fed premium loaded with 180gr partitions. last years elk was 266yards, one shot and done. I wish i'd made the switch to the 308 40 years ago. the perfect cartridge for my needs.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.