this was a serious question?

My question too??

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
The other day I saw on the back of a pickup "Believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved."

At the time I wondered what is a "thou" and what is it saved for or from. Maybe someone with a large vocabulary can help here.

Hopefully saves us from thee 🙄

Last edited by Kenneth66; 01/10/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It is the subject form of thee.

What is a "thee"?
A tall green thing growing outside...as described by a guy with a lisp.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
1 notch on a heavy 10, 10 notches on a hardinge.

Best answer there........

And about 100 on a Moore Drum Lathe

Last edited by 257_X_50; 01/10/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fools. "Thou" on a compass is 180 degrees from "Norf".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
It’s a substitute for “you”, you stupid fugk.

I thought it was Y'all, or the plural All Y'all. smile

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is a yute? Fred Gwynne wants to know.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I learned the Ten Commandments as such: "Thou shalt not steal" etc. I guess in some parts of the Country it's learned as: "Y'all best not steal, ya hear."

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/10/21.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think it means if you follow the lord, you can save $1000.00.

1 thou
1 thousand
1 grand
1 large

grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cooper57m
What is a yute? Fred Gwynne wants to know.

Check with Joe Pesci.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notwithstanding the OP's attempt at humor, with his question about "thou" . . . I do not consider myself a scholar, but I do have a solemn and objective opinion on the archaic uses of the/thou/thine in scripture.

"Thou" is always the singular tense, in the archaic English vernacular, of the modern English vernacular "you." For reference, "Ye" is always the archaic plural English vernacular of "you" (you all)

The King James version of the Bible is very consistent in the use of the singular and plural vernacular, "thee/thou/thine" (Greek soisingular) and "ye/you/yours" (Greek humonplural) . . . as an example, consider the passages in John 3:1-7:

New King James Version

1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

Here, in a modern version of the Bible, two distinct and different Greek words are translated "you" throughout these seven verses, without distinction as to which signify a singular or plural meaning. Verse seven, in particular, in the modern English, uses the word "you" twice in a row, to translate two distinct and different Greek words, soi (singular) and humon (plural) This clouds the interpretation of exactly what Jesus meant.

Look at the advantage the King James translators offer the reader by using the exact (though archaic) and correct English words to distinguish the major difference between the two words the Lord used, and a huge difference in meaning of the entire teaching of being born again. It was not just singularly for Nicodemus, but for all mankind.

Also of note, throughout the standard King James Bible, the translators never referred to God/Jesus as "you/yours" (common/familiar tense) but always as "thee/thou" (reverent/formal tense) . . . while virtually every Latin based language has a distinction between the familiar "you" and formal "you," modern English is the exception. For example, in Spanish the common/familiar form of "you" is "tu." The reverent/formal tense of "you" is "usted." In modern English there is no word to distinguish between the two. Some of the modern English Versions translators attempt to distinguish between the two by capitalizing the word "You" in reference to God/Jesus, but in spoken form (singing gospel hymns or praying,) one cannot distinguish between the common/familiar and the reverent/formal tense, in reference to God/Jesus. Only by using the archaic English of Shakespeare or the King James may one distinguish between the common/familiar tense "you/yours" and the reverent/formal tense "thee/thou. thine."

Standard King James Version

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Notwithstanding the OP's attempt at humor, with his question about "thou" . . . I do not consider myself a scholar, but I do have a solemn and objective opinion on the archaic uses of the/thou/thine in scripture.

"Thou" is always the singular tense, in the archaic English vernacular, of the modern English vernacular "you." For reference, "Ye" is always the archaic plural English vernacular of "you" (you all)

The King James version of the Bible is very consistent in the use of the singular and plural vernacular, "thee/thou/thine" (Greek soisingular) and "ye/you/yours" (Greek humonplural) . . . as an example, consider the passages in John 3:1-7:

New King James Version

2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Here, in a modern version of the Bible, two distinct and different Greek words are translated "you" throughout these seven verses, without distinction as to which signify a singular or plural meaning. Verse seven, in particular, in the modern English, uses the word "you" twice in a row, to translate two distinct and different Greek words, soi (singular) and humon (plural) This clouds the interpretation of exactly what Jesus meant.

Look at the advantage the King James translators offer the reader by using the exact (though archaic) and correct English words to distinguish the major difference between the two words the Lord used, and a huge difference in meaning of the entire teaching of being born again. It was not just singularly for Nicodemus, but for all mankind.

Also of note, throughout the standard King James Bible, the translators never referred to God/Jesus as "you/yours" (common/familiar tense) but always as "thee/thou" (reverent/formal tense) . . . while virtually every Latin based language has a distinction between the familiar "you" and formal "you," modern English is the exception. For example, in Spanish the common/familiar form of "you" is "tu." The reverent/formal tense of "you" is "usted." In modern English there is no word to distinguish between the two. Some of the modern English Versions translators attempt to distinguish between the two by capitalizing the word "You" in reference to God/Jesus, but in spoken form (singing gospel hymns or praying,) one cannot distinguish between the common/familiar and the reverent/formal tense, in reference to God/Jesus. Only by using the archaic English of Shakespeare or the King James may one distinguish between the common/familiar tense "you/yours" and the reverent/formal tense "thee/thou. thine."

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Try reading the early part of Luke 14 to folks who never used a Bible. I did that in the lunch room one day. I have used the New American Standard Bible for more than forty years.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Romeo, Romeo...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"At risk" Amish kid:

Wears his hat backwards
Paints racing stripes and/or flames on the horse
Mother finds coloreds in his sock drawer

In an argument, shouts "Thou sucketh!"

(There are about 6 more that I don't remember)

Last edited by las; 01/10/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What is a 'thou'?
- - - - - - - - - - -

Thou vs thee vs thy.

More importantly, Why would anyone ask a religious question in a hell-hole?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thou art a dumb azzz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
~ Thou shalt wear a mask.

Covidvirus: 20:20

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

New King James Version

You've obviously greatly over-estimated the extent of our interest in the subject matter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It is the subject form of thee.

What is a "thee"?

It's the object form of thou.

Don't forget the possessives, thy and thine.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m a Quaker and I don’t care...... as long as one is understood

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.