Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Why would you purposely take a bolt gun to a fight?

The U.S. Army recognized the value of the auto-loader in combat during WW1 via the Pedersen Device and that was over 100 years ago.

If I'm going to a gun fight that I can plan for, I hope to have an AR and a lot of loaded 30-round magazines in my kit.

The thought experiment assumes you have no other choice. So, the apocalypse happened. You're unarmed. You find an abandoned farm house, and inside there's an extensive collection of bolt guns, along with appropriate ammo. Which one?

GB4

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
Ok I just skimmed through this nonsense...... and my conclusion is a Krag is cool and obviously effective... as displayed by Flave. Granted this wasn't battle but he knows a thing or two about battle rifles...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now all this talk about Nagants and Tikka's is pure horse schit...... Me being a Mauser guy and being loyal to the design, choose 98 Mouser.... here is a parts gun I threw together, battle rifle was not on my mind when I put this together but on reflection I suspect this would work just fine. Peep sights , 5 round magazine, 338-06, laminate stock.... yep this would work....

Oh and Springfield..... naaa..... inferior copy of the Mouser

Dude!
8mm way over penetrates...Germans proved it.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You and 'flave have been eclipsed by gremcat. Loyalties are fragile and subject to change.

mike r

Whaat? gremcat and his Rooger American..... crap, and I thought Tikkers were bad... those Roogers are junk, barely reliable enough for varmints.... Mouser for the win! smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Ok I just skimmed through this nonsense...... and my conclusion is a Krag is cool and obviously effective... as displayed by Flave. Granted this wasn't battle but he knows a thing or two about battle rifles...

Now all this talk about Nagants and Tikka's is pure horse schit...... Me being a Mauser guy and being loyal to the design, choose 98 Mouser.... here is a parts gun I threw together, battle rifle was not on my mind when I put this together but on reflection I suspect this would work just fine. Peep sights , 5 round magazine, 338-06, laminate stock.... yep this would work....

Dude!

I wouldn't quote JeffO if I was you..... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The U.S. Army recognized the value of the auto-loader in combat during WW1 via the Pedersen Device and that was over 100 years ago.

If I'm going to a gun fight that I can plan for, I hope to have an AR and a lot of loaded 30-round magazines in my kit.

The thought experiment assumes you have no other choice. So, the apocalypse happened. You're unarmed. You find an abandoned farm house, and inside there's an extensive collection of bolt guns, along with appropriate ammo. Which one?

In that scenario, you pick the most accurate rifle, which means a Remington or a Savage. Hopefully, they have a Remington. It's not like you're gonna impress the enemy with novel bullshit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Dude!

OUch...That hurt!

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Like the characters in Cormac McCarthy's book THE ROAD?

All variables being equal, I'd pick the rifle that had the most ammo that was powerful enough to kill whatever I might need to kill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dude!

OUch...That hurt!

Sorry buddy.... this place can get a little rough at times.... now atone and admit Mouser is best!

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Whichever rifle can get me better stuff for fighting.

Never underestimate battlefield recovery.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
303 lee Enfield

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Dude!

OUch...That hurt!

Sorry buddy.... this place can get a little rough at times.... now atone and admit Mouser is best!

I'm starting my shrine to Peter Paul von Mauser as I type this.

Shrine or not, you are correct though. The M98 be the ticket.
Hell, I'd even take m96/m38 if set up to my liking and enough 6.5 swede 140 gr.s for the duration.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OK OK

I an all out, full retard, Red Dawn scenario.

Small, light, suppressed 22 rifle.

You can feed yourself and procure more appropriate weapons, demo, comms, transport etc. and remain "discreet".

Think of it as an expanded version of the WWII Liberator pistol. The gun to get a gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, overlooked for five pages?

Something that keeps the fight a thousand yards away.

Pick your brand & caliber.

I actually watched 7 Ghille suits get grabbed of the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse during the first day of one of the Obama panics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dude!

OUch...That hurt!

I'm starting my shrine to Peter Paul von Mauser as I type this.

Shrine or not, you are correct though. The M98 be the ticket.
Hell, I'd even take m96/m38 if set up to my liking and enough 6.5 swede 140 gr.s for the duration.

If the Germans weren't such evil fuucktards they would have won the war with that rifle....

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Oh mine, the Ruger GSR gets the nod.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The shooter did good work with a bolt .22 lr.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good Indians just need arrows. Any decent arrow will do.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Obviously using abolt gun for a short range fire fight against opponents armed with semi-auto cnterfires is generalyy a losing proposition. I f you are running more power than the opponents that can help but not much.

Of the bolt guns I own at the moment, the likely candidate would be my Ruger Gunsite Scout. I have several magazines and that woul be useful in maintaining a volume of fire for a time. Enough for say a 180 round loadout would be burdensome though.

That said, magazines are bulky and eventually need filled. Therein lies a rub. Filling the metal GSR mags is tedious at best, the plastic ones are much easier. If I had a setup where I could use stripper clps with my GSR (and there may be one) it would be helpful in maintaining avolume of fire.

It is much easier to carry stripper clips to refill firearms than loose ammo, they take relatively little space and are very light weight.

While I don't have a Springfield '03 I do have a prewar M70 Standard Grade that has the clip slot and receiver sights. It could be used as well. I actually shoot it a good bit better than the GSR with iron sights.

Thanks for the fun.
This is kind of like a discussion like: Which can you fire the most aimed rounds (12 in bull at 25 yards. only bullseyes count). out of in thirty minutes? - A semi auto 9mm with three 15 round magazines andthe remainder loose. OR a 7 shot .357 mag revolver (loaded with .38 Special +P starting with three 7 shot speedloaders speedloaders, three ten round speed dtrips and the remaining ammo loose. That is to say, something to pass the time.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 01/11/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The model 721 Remington also had the stripper clip provision. They actually came with a low comb stock that works very well with open sights. This is interesting to talk about.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You and 'flave have been eclipsed by gremcat. Loyalties are fragile and subject to change.

mike r

Whaat? gremcat and his Rooger American..... crap, and I thought Tikkers were bad... those Roogers are junk, barely reliable enough for varmints.... Mouser for the win! smile

Hah! You will change your tune when the G-cat shows up w/ his brother...and the hammer. He'll knock your chainsaw 100', w/ you attached.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.