Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by rickt300

My opinion the Remington and Savage unless significantly modified are much less capable than a Mauser, Springfield or Mosin. I mean if all you are going to get caught up in is sniping and running then maybe but otherwise the stock SA Remington is a pain to quickly load the stock magazine, the older staggered magazine Savages much better than the centerfeeds. There is usually more to it than sniping and running. Beyond that saying the average Remington is significantly more accurate than anything else and enough to make a difference is ludicrous.

You can single-load a Remington by dropping one in the open action and closing the bolt. Any rifle that doesn't REQUIRE magazine-feeding would be my preference.

You can chuck a single rnd into crf Mausers and Springfields just as easy as a remmy, done it many times.

I know. but I was responding to the critique of the Remington's stock magazine. The magazine only comes into play until it is empty, then I want to be able to drop one at a time in.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The krag sucked as a military service rifle and we paid for it in the Spanish American War and the Boxer Rebellion is China. Glacially slow reloading process..

Ever own one? Much faster than 700s, model 70s, or other modern bolt actions. But clip fed rifles were faster.

No desire to, all one needs to do is READ accounts on how bad the Krags SUCKED at San Juan and Kettle Hills and then again I don't consider a model 70 and especially a pos 700 as "fighting rifles". The Lee Enfield was not only also clip fed but the cock on closing is faster than the Mauser and 03 (a plagiarized 98 anyway) AND it held TWICE the number of rounds. This is like a no brainer folks..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn’t use any modern bolt action designed to fire, maybe two or three thousand rounds in a lifetime over an actual battle rifle designed to be used and abused by an 18 year old soldier firing hundreds of rounds in a single day.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The krag sucked as a military service rifle and we paid for it in the Spanish American War and the Boxer Rebellion is China. Glacially slow reloading process..

Ever own one? Much faster than 700s, model 70s, or other modern bolt actions. But clip fed rifles were faster.

No desire to, all one needs to do is READ accounts on how bad the Krags SUCKED at San Juan and Kettle Hills and then again I don't consider a model 70 and especially a pos 700 as "fighting rifles". The Lee Enfield was not only also clip fed but the cock on closing is faster than the Mauser and 03 (a plagiarized 98 anyway) AND it held TWICE the number of rounds. This is like a no brainer folks..

You've got the ammo to feed at least one SMLE? Enough to feed several? We aren't going into "battle" against some guys in different uniforms on a battlefield. Look at the past. A guy hiding with a single shot muzzle loading rifle could have quite a destructive effect on a whole company of musket carriers. You adapt your tactics to your weapon. An effective bolt gun in this instance looks a lot more like a typical deer rifle today than a battle rifle of over a century ago.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jeez, a last ditch Type 99 Arisaka and 12 rounds of 7.7 Norma ammo loaded in 1962, with a little patience and perseverance , will get you the rifle you need.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I haven't read the whole post but it seems that Alvin York did very well with an 03, or maybe it was an 03a3 i do not know.

He had germans shooting at him with machine guns so he was outgunned. It is possible that the best shot may have the advantage.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Some millennial with a man bun sitting at a computer terminal will drone the fug out a 5 acre radius wherever you are.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ipopum

I haven't read the whole post but it seems that Alvin York did very well with an 03, or maybe it was an 03a3 i do not know.

He had germans shooting at him with machine guns so he was outgunned. It is possible that the best shot may have the advantage.

The A3 didn't appear till after WWI. York could have used an 03 Springfield, but he actually used an M1917 Enfield, despite what was depicted in the movie.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Some millennial with a man bun sitting at a computer terminal will drone the fug out a 5 acre radius wherever you are.

I remember a few years ago there was a big push on social media to have a big shotgun handy to bring down the smaller drones.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5thShock
The Enfield. Except for the ammo re-supply thing.

Yeah. That tiny little problem rearing its head..

Now go try to find brass.

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Everybody here seems to be on Enfields vs. O3A3. Have you guys ever ran a Mannlicher? They run like merde through a goose. Those Greek Mannlichers Bredas( make in Austria but say Italian) are still alive and well. The Improved 52 in 06 and you can send rounds accurately down range. It is a extremely accurate carbine that is handy.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I f I HAD to pick a bolt gun to fight with it would probably be a Ruger Gunsite carbine. Realistically it wouldn't matter much, using a bolt gun in a real fight would most likely result in your death.

Civilians taking up arms against government forces is assuredly a quick route to suicide no matter the weapon of choice.

Firing upon modern liberals will rapidly result in conflict with government forces

So you are choosing servitude over freedom? And you live in Idaho? You seem to miss the point entirely. What percentage of government forces are going to engage civilians they may be related to? You realize that by sheer mass in this country armed citizens represent an impressive force.

100% WILL engage outlaws and terrorists.

The elected government gets to assign the labels.

Military and police forces will not abandon their duties until their wives and children are home sick and starving.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[
You've got the ammo to feed at least one SMLE? Enough to feed several? .

Yes, next question...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Everybody here seems to be on Enfields vs. O3A3. Have you guys ever ran a Mannlicher? They run like merde through a goose. Those Greek Mannlichers Bredas( make in Austria but say Italian) are still alive and well. The Improved 52 in 06 and you can send rounds accurately down range. It is a extremely accurate carbine that is handy.

OH yeah, I have a 1904 Steyr Mannlicher 8x57, that compares favorably...maybe beats the 6.5 Norwegian Krag for speed and equal smoothness of operation. The 5 round packet is faster and more fumble free than any stripper clip.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[

Yes, next question...
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Find us a "Mad Minute" video with a Mannlicher and we'll talk...

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/12/21.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[

Yes, next question...

Okay, next question: when are you going to get off your ass and fulfill your oath?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[

Yes, next question...

Okay, next question: when are you going to get off your ass and fulfill your oath?

I have no f ucking idea as to what you are talking about, especially if it's some kind of kook angle..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

LOL

WTF are you going to do with your Tuesday?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I wouldn’t use any modern bolt action designed to fire, maybe two or three thousand rounds in a lifetime over an actual battle rifle designed to be used and abused by an 18 year old soldier firing hundreds of rounds in a single day.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Many of us put hundreds of rounds per day through modern rifles, until the bore is worn out. Then you rebarrel and do it again.

The steel used in the action and barrels of today's rifles is far superior to that of 100 or 80 years ago.

If you want a modern rifle to last like an Enfield Mk III, load your ammo to 1930 303 British pressure levels.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Yes what a sweet little rifle. Effective on a 19'th century battle field.

I had a 6.5x54 in the closet, 160 gr RN at 2200 fps. 30-30 equivalent. I was hoping to find an application for that beautiful rotary mag. But a burglar got away with the rifle in 1984. He was probably disappointed to pack it all the way to Mexico, only to find it was worth about 50 cents as scrap iron.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Is the 03 more accurate? probably yes. Is the 03 a stronger, better action, yes. Is the 03's caliber superior to the 303? undoubtedly. Is the o3 a better combat rifle when it comes to reliability? even. But as a combat rifle, not even close and the Germans agreed. Refer to the first German encounter with the BEF in Belgium in 1914. fascinating story on the fast AND accurate rates of fire the Brits put out.. BTW, there are also literally dozens of videos out there on comparing these rifles and it really leaves no doubt..

OK, jorge.

Since you're going to make me say it I'll just say it.

I hate the English. Therefore, the 03A3 is better.

one must admit the 03 and 03a3 "borrowed certain aspects from the mauser
i would not want to admit how many springfields i own. more than one. am fond of them.
however,
the enfield was faster to fire
held more rounds
had adjustible to fit stocks
i have grown to love them

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.