Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. I was looking at the M70.

I also looked at the Ruger Gunsite Scout, and I like the concept, but that barrel is awfully short at 16" and I don't think I want another Ruger.

A 16" barrel is far more versatile if you're actually worried about SHTF. The more compact you can make a firearm the better, it'll handle in a wider variety of situations especially urban environments and from vehicles. Even with a short 16" barrel a .308 will still be effective well beyond 300m in a defensive situation. However, if you find yourself in a SHTF situation you'll want to be mobile, and again a more compact package improves the mobility.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’d go with the M70 EW. I have one in 7mm-08 and love it!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve owned a Hawkeye all-weather and M70 extreme weather in 308. The M70 was far and away “nicer”. Smoother action, metal finish was better, stock wasn’t an injection molded “plastic”. It was also easy to stay at an inch or under at 100 yards with a variety of loads. Bedding it was easy with the flat action and square to the action recoil lug

BUT, the Hawkeye is bomb proof. Got a lower scope ring and mounted a 2.5-8x36 on it. The stock is more trim, even though the gun feels heavier. Its a 1 to 1 1/2 inch gun at 100, which is fine. Since I only used it on the west side of WA, shots were never more than 300 yards and mostly well under that. I didn’t really “develop” a load. I just chose the bullet I wanted.

I am not sure than you can buy the standard Hawkeye all-weather NIB anymore.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Kimber Montana if you can find one. M70 second ...

Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
My vote is also for the Kimber Montana with the Mod 70 EW being second ....Good luck...Hb

Another vote along these lines. As far as the M70, I'd opt for the Featherweight Compact.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers. Lots of good suggestions, but I will be going w/ a CRF. Having never owned a .308 before, I’ve been looking into it more seriously lately and the more I read about it, the more I’m convinced that the .308 would be a excellent choice. I would definitely prefer a custom Mauser, but finding a decent one for a fair price is a difficult prospect these days, but I’m keeping an eye out.

Unless I can find a worked over Mauser, the M70 is currently in the lead and I’m still interested in the Ruger Gunsite Scout as well, but as I stated I’m not too keen on Ruger.

Ken: Somehow I knew you were going to recommend a Featherweight! grin I’m keeping an eye out, but I haven’t found one yet. The .280 is still in the running, though the .308 certainly has the advantage in ammo/component availability.

I also always wanted to try an FN SPR, but they’re way too heavy and the prices have gotten ridiculous.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/21/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another option on used market would be old ZKK 601. They are bit rough out of the box and hand checkering may not be perfect, but they have some advantages: short action, dovetails for factory scope mounts, trigger can be adjusted w/o taking the stock off, very nice iron sights (samples through early 70s had pop up ring sight in rear base), the weight is correct for caliber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An FN Patrol Bolt Rifle might be a consideration if you don't mind the weight.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If one, for some odd reason, is insistent on CRF with the fantasy of roaming the apocalyptic wastelands, it would make far more sense to build a rifle on something like a Mausingfeld.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
liliysdad: Would that I could.

I am insistent on a CRF because I prefer the Mauser design. I'm simply not interested in push feed rifles. And an AR-10 would be a much better tool for roaming the apocalyptic wasteland - Jeeze, everyone knows that.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/21/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Pappy. Not sure I want a compact, but I will look into it.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Primary use is hunting, secondary SHTF. What say you?

Which is most important?

My SHTF 308 bolt is a Ruger Scout with a 16.1" barrel and forward mounted 2-7x scope. It would do for 99% of the game I've taken, if not all, even with the lower MV due to barrel length.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber, m70, ruger, sporterized Mauser, CZ, Montana 1999 (if you can find an older one)

In that order.

Last edited by Mjduct; 01/21/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For those of you nay-saying CRF: what if the zombies are approaching and you're stuck upside-down in a tree? Don't you want to know that cartridge isn't going to just fall to the ground, where the zombies will pick it up and sell it for $100 on Gunbroker?

(In all seriousness, I prefer CRF for hunting rifles too. I feel like if something is going to break in an emergency, it's not going to be that. My money would be on a plastic detachable mag getting crushed or a cheap blue job rusting away.)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That Ruger Scout would be a good truck gun as well.

- Del Gue
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would think it would make a good truck, ATV, off-road vehicle, and walk-about rifle. To me it is seems it would be a functional tool.

That Ruger Scout would be a good truck gun as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not current production and most people don't realize it but the Savage model 99 is a crf rifle. Plus faster follow up shots and the fact it is a classic dependable accurate firearm. Just saying.🙂

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I'd have some patience and find a nice classic M70 or pre-64 M70 instead of settling for what is made today.

So, what you’re saying is you don’t know what the M70 is today.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What don’t you like about the ruger? It’s not the smoothest, but it damn sure is probably the stoutest.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got an 18.7" Ruger Scout in a Ruger synthetic stock. It's a bit heavy but damn sure robust IMO, & handles well.

I smeared the bolt with 800 grit lapping compound cycled it several times. A hundred?
Cleaned it up, lubed it & it feels & cycles really great. The center feed AICS type mag helps with the smoothness & it doesn't scratch & gouge my brass like some do.

Has become a great grab & go rifle. The, IMO, dumb birdcage flash hider is in the parts bin. It's scoped conventionally, & the rear sight is in a stock pouch along with a loaded extra mag.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,115
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.