Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The classic 1942 tome by Fairbairn and Sykes, with a forward by Rex Applegate...

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:vejEZCq8PBEJ:www.gutterfighting.org/files/shooting_to_live.pdf+shooting+to+live&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

By actual records, both Fairbairn and Sykes while with the Shanghai police engaged in over two hundred incidents where violent close combat occurred with oriental criminal elements.

These battle scarred veterans were experts in all types of close quarter fighting with and without weapons.

Their training techniques and methods were proven first in the back alleys of Shanghai and later with the Commando and the Special Intelligence branches of both the British and U. S. services.

Shooting To Live was the first written manual to surface in the field of combat pistol shooting. Its principles and techniques were expanded and modified upon to fit American needs in the various editions of the writer�s own text, Kill or Get Killed.

Many present day U. S. military and law enforcement combat handgun shooting techniques can be traced back to this book.

Colonel Rex Applegate

A must read for anyone even remotely interested in the defensive use of handguns.

Enjoy cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The more things change.... grin

....this written in '42, based upon experience gained in the '20's and 30's (from Chapter VII) ...

STOPPING POWER

We approach this subject with considerable diffidence. We regard it as essentially one in which theory should be disregarded in favour of practice, but even practice, as evidenced in carefully noted records over a number of years, does not lead us to any finality in the matter.

Instead, it provides us with so many contradictions that we feel that anything approaching dogmatism would be most unwise.

...and at the close of that chapter, after describing failure to stops with both Webley .445 revolvers firing soft lead bullets and Colt .45 Automatics firing hardball...

Throughout this book we have done our best to emphasise the vital need for extreme rapidity of fire. For ourselves we can accomplish this... most easily with an automatic.

The more closely our own pistols resemble machine-guns the better we like it.

grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thought I'd reply to my own thread...

Note a couple of familiar truisms...

...target shooting is of no value whatsoever in learning the use of tho pistol as a weapon of combat. The two things are as different from each other as chalk from goose, and what has been learned from target shooting is best unlearned if proficiency is desired in tho use of the pistol under actual fighting conditions...

...in circumstances which preclude the use of a better weapon, that is to say, when it is impracticable to use a shot-gun, rifle or sub-machine gun.

The significance being that these two Brits were the first guys to put such down on paper, the same truths subsequently repeated many time over by our own post-war generation of experts.

Note that Fairbiarn and Sykes had their raw recruits practice on a full-size combat silhouette at a distance of only two yards so as to best duplicate the conditions of most "affrays", teaching instinctive point shooting from the hip and also a sort of "pistol alignment by silhouette" on the target much as later taught by the famed (and recently deceased) NYPD Detective Jim Cirillo, who likewise was instructing based upon his own experience in shootouts with armed criminals.

Fairbairn and Syles taught the use of the sights with a two-handed hold at longer distances (25 yards) and recommended high-visibility sights such as there were back then (silver front posts), in all cases recommending rapid-fire until the target went down.

Most surprising to me is their use of dynamic courses of fire involving running and rapid-fire at pop-up targets, as well as the practice of forced-entry techniques, this all developed back in the 1920's in Shanghai, at a time when everybody else was training mostly by shooting one-handed at targets.

Sykes (formerly Schwalbe) had previously been a professional hunter in India and in Shanghai formed a police sniping squad, complete with scoped rifles, he and Fairbairn being popularly credited with developing the world's first SWAT teams, except I expect they could be a lot freer in that time and place at firing upon suspects than would be tolerated today.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hoo boy! Note even the provenance of the term "Pratical Pistol"...

(...'scuse me, while I had heard much about this work, this is the first time I have had access to it).

Anyhow, here is "Gunsite" meets "Thunder Ranch", courtesy of the Shanghai Municipal Police, circa 1935...

PRACTICAL PISTOL RANGES

...To give an idea of what we mean, the range... has more than once been made to represent the interior of a Chinese lodging-house harbouring, among other inmates, half a dozen bad characters who will resist arrest.

A screen hides all this from the men who are going to shoot. All they see from the outside is a wall with a door, through which, one by one, they will have to enter the lodging-house. No one knows what he will encounter inside, and the onIy instructions given are that innocent civilians are not to be "killed"....

The first man to shoot pushes in the door, closely followed by the range officer... along a dark, narruw, twisting passoge,
kicks open a door at one point... and finds himself in a dimly lit room occupied by apparently harmless people (dummies) who vary from mere lodgers to dope fiends or stool-pigeons. He has to take in the situation in a flash, for his appearance is the signal for tho fun to commence.

A shot is fired at him (blank cartridge in the control room), amd the criminals commence their �get away� (�criminals� are life-size targets that bob up from nowhere and disappear as quickly, heads and shoulders that peer at him briefly round a corner, men running swiftly across the room, possibly at an oblique angle, etc, all masked at some point.. by the �innocent bystanders� who must not be shot).

There is no time to think, and anything resembling deliberate aim is a sheer impossibility. Furniture and dummies impede his movements, amd it is noticable that he instinctively adopts tho �crouch� and shoots as a rule with the arm in any position except fully extended. His only course is to shoot quiokly and keep on shooting until his magazine is empty.

Eric Anthony Sykes died of a heart attack in 1945.

Towards the end of the war Fairbairn and Sykes reportedly had a falling out, specifically about Sykes being intrumental in preventing Fairbairn from accompanying British Commandos on actual raids (although pushing 60 by that time, Fairbairn was certainly physically capable).

A correct decision, IMHO, Fairbairn being far too valuable to risk. Instead he was sent to Washington to help with the establishment of our own OSS. After that he was stationed in Canada at the top secret "Camp X", where he became an inspiration for a young Canadian Naval Officer and future popular spy fiction author named Ian Fleming.

Post-war, William Ewart Fairbairn was again assigned to the East on "Her Magesty's Secret Service" to deal with upheavals in Ceylon (Sri Lanka), likely much of what he did is still classified.

Sheesh! A pity ol' Fairbairn and Sykes never made it to the present, IMAGINE the endless reams of print in gun rags and books they could have written... grin

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The sad part, really, being that the existence of these guys and the extent of their innovations comes as a surprise to many if not most American handgun enthusiasts.

Chalk that up I guess to the self-promotion of our well known gun gurus...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
"Lives Less Ordinary" indeed...

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?article=57

With hostilities between Japan and China beginning Fairbairn was in a particularly dangerous position. One incident was when Fairbairn met a Japanese Officer, who was a fellow Judo exponent on a pier. They exchanged pleasantries and Fairbairn noticed 150 Chinese men, women and children with their hands tied behind their backs sitting by a Japanese Naval vessel.

Fairbairn asked what was to become of them. The Japanese Officer said they would be shot. Fairbairn asked if he could take them. The Japanese Officer said no, they are to be shot. Fairbairn very calmly said that if they were shot he would meet the Japanese Officer some night and they would settle the score. The threat was implicit and the Japanese Officer later gave the Chinese captives to Fairbairn.

I expect Fairbairn would have been about 50 at the time.

I really must get a copy of the recent biography of this extraordinary man...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-W-E-Fairbairn-Gentleman-Warrior/dp/0954949404

The Legend of W.E. Fairbairn, Gentleman and Warrior: The Shanghai Years
The culmination of years of research by the late Peter Robins, the biography of W.E. Fairbairn, "the father of CQB" has been published.

Entitled " Fairbairn The Gentleman Warrior" this first volume covers his early life, the Shanghai years, up until the start of WW-2. A subsequent volume will cover the rest of the story of how he trained the Commandos, SOE, OSS etc.

Chapters include "The Shanghai School of Shooting" "USMC in Shanghai" "WEF Manuals" Also, lots of excerpts from Cavalcade, [Fairbairn's handwritten journal], a very detailed chapter on the Shanghai shooting school [including a comparison with Captain Tracy's methods.

Much also on the SMP training, including diagrams and photos of the assault/obstacle course. Loads of cases of the SMP engaging bandits, kidnappers and drug runners in the alleys, brothels and opium-dens of "the World's most dangerous city".

The text is heavily illustrated with numerous photos, many never before published.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Birdwatcher, Fascinating read.Fairbairn & Sykes lived in a time & learned-taught skills...and did jobs few of us ever will encounter.

Makes the average CCW citizen think about how truly skilled or ready he is..and that requirement varies tremendously depending on who we are and where we live-work-travel.

Another great topic would be what skills-tools can one learn & have which are non lethal to protect self and family..

Things and head smarts one can take with him into the Federal building, into a school zone..the airport..across state lines..into foreign countries....:) Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdy I can't thank you enough, you've turned me onto more good reading material about real folks, something I really enjoy. Thanks again. Randy

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
1ak... here's a pretty good link on E.A. Sykes (click on top link for PDF version), a guy as mysterious and enigmatic today as is Fairbairn.
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:5OA4m5T9UQAJ:www.manfamily.org/PDFs/EA%2520Schwabe%2520Essay.pdf+eric+anthony+sykes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

The life and times of Sykes seems to begin and end in mystery...

All that anyone seems to know (or is written about in books) is that he was Fairbairn�s Instructor partner � one half designer of the famed F-S Fighting knife and an Instructor to Special Forces and Secret Agents during World War Two.

As a researcher into the Combative Arts and their Instructors I firmly believe that none of the Instructors suddenly appeared out of �no-where� to serve the Allies in their time of need.

Their service was given freely, of much use and many of the trainee�s who undertook Instruction by those much needed persons stated that that owed their very lives to their teachings.

With this in mind whenever I research an Instructor I ask myself the questions: who was this man, where did he come from, why have we allowed his memory to be so dishonoured that we know so little about them to this day?...

I cannot allow let the memory and life�s work of Eric Anthony Sykes and his teachings to fade into the obscurity it has met thus-far, to not allow his legacy the respect and debt of thanks it deserves would be criminal.

On the same topic, some years back there was a British website that offered free in pdf format Syke's and Fairbairn's knife-fighting manual, complete with illustrations of where to cut an opponent to best inflict debilitating wounds. IIRC the pdf file was later taken down, according to the website at the request of Fairbairn's surviving family members.

It seems reasonable to conclude that this preference for anonymity was also characteristic of Fairbairn himself, and which may account for why it was a full 45 years after his death before a biography appeared.

One thing is for sure, with their at that time rare first-hand knowledge of Asian martial arts combined with an expertise in the use of firearms that was well ahead of their times, both Sykes and certainly Fairbairn were likely man for man, among the most lethally capable warriors the world has ever produced.

The British Empire has produced no shortage of "Gentlemen" skilled in brutality over the years, of the sort entering such units as the Black and Tans in Ireland during some of the same years that Sykes and Fairbairn were in Shaghai. I had been wondering if Fairbairn and Sykes were cut from the same cloth.

The evidence I hae read thus far indicates to the contrary, that both Fairbairn and Sykes were moral men, in short, numbered among the good guys cool

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim... well aquiring skills with a firearm certainly requires a lower standard of physical fitness (as Cooper was wont to complain about some of the guys showing up for his classes grin) than is become proficient at martial arts.

Anyhow, back to the topic of firearms, Sykes and Fairbairn have this to say about auto pistol design...

We have an inveterate dislike of the profusion of safety devices with which all automatic pistols are regularly equipped. We believe them to be the cause of more accidents than anything else...

It is better, we think, to make the pistol permanently �un-safe� and then to devise such methods of handling it that there will be no accidents.

..and of stopping power, with respect to "light and fast" versus "slow and heavy"....

...we should choose a cartridge that represents what we consider a safe middle course, i.e. with a bullet of reasonably large calibre and weight, driven at a... high velocity

Sounds to me like they were describing a Glock, in .40 S&W, which has emerged as pretty much our pre-eminent Law Enforcement pistol/cartridge combo.

Birdwatcher

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Depends on what you consider High velocity...and what you mean by a reasonably large caliber....

Not everyone's ears hear the same things...mine hear .45 ACP not 40 Short & Weak

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard to say I guess exactly what Sykes and Fairbairn would have said today. They do eliminate the .22 and .25 as legitimate choices right off, but consider the .32 and .380 Autos as apparently legit.

I do know that Fairbairn armed the smaller-statured Chinese members of the SMP with Colt .380 autos rather than with 1911s.

His own preferred weapon was the 1911 (and I sure would like to find the text of his 1925 book on the use of that fiream), but in "Shooting to Live" him and Sykes do write favorably of a cut-down Colt revolver in .44 Special.

They also allude in "Shooting to Live" to not being allowed "by the rules of the game" to use expanding hollowpoint ammo.

What they meant by "very high velocity" depended on their frame of reference I guess. The standard velocities of British revolver rounds were exceedingly weak, even the vaunted Webley .445 lumbering along at around 650 fps, and his .45 ACP 1911 with 230 grain ball probably had an mv of somewhat less than 850 fps.

OTOH the .30 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev round they mentioned as being a paragon of high velocity used a 90 grain bullet travelling at a mv of 1,400 fps (and was later dropped by the Germans who created it when they expanded the neck of that bottleneck case to give us the familiar 9mm cartridge we still use today).

It might be that today's hotter/lighter/faster .45 acp bullet options (ie 185 grains at about 1,000 fps) would have also fit their criterion as a "middle ground" option, I dunno.

One theme that does stand out though is how very early these guys adressed the familiar questions we still debate today.

Judging by his writing in the "Stopping Power" chapter of "Shooting to Live", Fairbairn likely never would have said of his 1911 that "they all fall to hardball" and apparently did not share either Cooper's or Clint Smith's degree of faith in the efficacy of that round (but lets face it, by the time "Shooting to Live" was published he had accumulated far more first-hand practical experience than both of those guys combined).

Interesting that in "Shooting to Live" they specify that one must respond within a "third of a second" to a threat in a typical "affray", a requirement which seems to exceed possibility if one includes normal human reaction times.

Elsewhere (maybe in his 1925 book) Fairbairn had written that a typical altercation involving deadly force would occur by surpise, in the dark, within ten feet, and that the outcome would be decided within the first two seconds.

I have long kept those maxims in mind when conducting my own practice at the range.

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Having been mentored by Jeff and taken classes from...each of them had/has plenty of experience on which to base their teachings.

Both Clint, who at one time was Ops Mgr for Jeff at Gunsite are struck from nearly the same mold...and both would agree that if you are totally surprised, they gotcha...no matter what gun or weapon you pack...don;t know about reaction time in a confrontation but the average today is about .22 to .25 for personal reaction to the buzzer. Fairbain echoes the FBI stats for gunfights...they take place in dim to no light, 2.1 shots are fired, at 7 to 10 feet and one person us usually hurt/dies. Nothing new there either.

What was fast in 1925 might really be moderate today..like a 230850 not a 1801000...

Since you keep the old maxims in mind when practicing, tell us how they influence your drills...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well I figure the reference to some of our own Icons in anything less than reverent terms would get a rise grin.... but what I said is true...

..and Fairbiarn's "nothing new" WAS new when he put it into print.. the fact that the FBI et. al. reached the same conclusions when reinventing the wheel merely reinforcing the validity of Fairbairn's prior conclusions.

With respect to drills... Simple, I spend far more time up-close than most (seven yards or less), firing from a crouch. In fact if I'm popping off 100 rounds (typical), all of 'em might be shot at close range, both eyes open of course.

I don't practice nearly enough, maybe once a month, so when I do I concentrate on up-close where I am most likely to need it.

I'll usually include a few strings one-handed, both strong and weak hands, the emphasis throughout on speed from a low ready (in center mass is precise enough).

Where I differ from Fairbairn is I rarely if ever shoot from the hip and most times shoot two handed, aiming "by outline" as both Fairbairn and Cirillo describe. Usually double taps.

Fifteen yards and more, I'll pick up the front sight. If boredom gets to be a factor I'll make aimed head shots double action at 25 yards, and attempt the same double or single-action at 50. But really, anywhere in the torso double or single action at 50 is acceptable.

Mostly I'm on j-frames now, of those mostly a 3" Mod 60, almost always with .38 plusP. Revolvers being simple enough to operate that my wife can easily use 'em, a critical consideration IMHO.

Even my Airweight though wears the larger "Uncle Mike's Combat Grip" like S&W puts on their .357 j-frames. I go up about an inch in width and length with the "Combat Grip" relative to the "Boot Grip" type grips, but a grip is of absolutely no use to me if I cannot grab it consistently every time in panic drills, and the "Combat Grip" fits me really well.

Panic drills? Grasping unloaded from concealment (as described on another thread) bringing to firing position and dry-firing. I prefer not to dry fire anywhere but down a range.

I dunno who is worse prepared, me or JOG, but then he cheats and uses a Hi-Power...

Did I mention the dog? ... grin

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can understand and applaud your drills....but why do you crouch? What part of a second are you willing to give up while doing it and what does it buy you? Remember 7-10FEET, crouching won't make them miss at that range and it makes drawing more difficult and distorts your NPOA....Remember it was Cooper that got the FBI to stand up straight and to put BOTH hands on the pistol instead of placing a forearm and clenched fist over their thorax and shooting with the strong hand..

BTW...there are no such things as double taps...they should actually be a controlled pair, both shot using the sights and unless hip shooting, it is just as fast and more accurate...

also BTW, you did know Jim Cirillo was killed last week in a car crash, didn't you...? Too bad,he was one of the really good guys...old school certainly and would share some of his incredible stories if prompted with the right liquid refreshment...was fortunate to hear a few of those...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
....but why do you crouch? What part of a second are you willing to give up while doing it and what does it buy you?

Crouch is relative I guess, more like a slightly bent-kneed stoop, I do so because Fairbairn observed those under stress when TSHTF (including himself) regularly did the same. Since I'm prob'ly gonna cringe anyway, might as well cringe in practice too.

I dunno how much time I lose cringing in practice as opposed to the time I would lose cringing in the actual event. And of course, I much prefer an "actual event" never happen, if only on account of the legal expenses if I'm still drawing breath afterwards (I also read Ayoob grin).

With respect to double taps; a useful compromise between unrealistic single shot drills and the multiple shots likely to be unleashed in an actual situation.

It is easy to shoot wide even at 7 yards when striving for speed (as many actual police shootings attest), two shots practices aiming consistently between shots... and JUST two shots makes 100 rounds last longer, as well as imposing a sort of ingrained fire-disclipline that could be critical when armed with a 5 shot j-frame (even with autos I practiced with only five rounds in the mag for that very reason).

Sometimes I'll load four and one empty and then spin the cylinder before rapid-firing, stopping when I click on the empty, this being a useful way of checking for consistency of hold between rounds.

I had heard on these forums of the recent passing of Jim Cirillo, and mourn his passing, as I do the Good Colonel. I used to buy "Guns and Ammo" just to read Cooper's column, and I fear his like will become increasingly rare in these modern times.

Congrats on getting to meet and train with all of those guys cool

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just before he died, two street thugs tried to mug Col. Rex Applegate. Applegate was in his 80�s and walked with the aid of a cane. The two would-be street thugs got the liven snot kicked out of them by an 80+ year old man walking with a cane�I just love to hear stories like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is some merit to the crouch, but not for crouch sake. The idea is that a moving target is always harder to hit (regardless of the range) than a stationary target. Anytime you draw a weapon in defense, you�d better be moving. I tend to move left or right, but a crouch is better than nothing. You survive a gunfight by coming away with the same amount of holes you started with. Always move, and hopefully you�re moving toward cover. Never stand there like a B29 and duke it out�that usually ends in both participants getting new holes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As the years pass more and more of those who did not care for political correctness are leaving us...I fear those of us who say what we mean and mean what we say are now in the distinct minority...mores the pity..but that is for another forum...

As for training with Cooper, and Cirillo...yes those two were unique, but no more unique than some of the others who are still with us and from whom we can still learn..Shooting pistols over the years has been the vehicle that allowed me to meet some of the sports greatest, and I have been humbled and in awe many many times watching them show their profiency with arms of all kinds...and with few exceptions they have proven to be some of the finest people I have met..stalwart, forthright, and sincere...

There are some on the other side of the coin, but they don't need discussing...

Keep after it and always give it your best..

Tightloop

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wwe have had a number of very talented 'teachers' to help us learn the basics well and then work to perfect what works best for us..and our needs..
Few of us will have the same needs that Fairbairn & Sykes had policing in Shanghai..

This article below covers briefly some of the techniques taught and used over the years, including Bill Jordan, whose book 'No Second Place Winner' was one of the first I read when training years ago.Jim

http://www.spw-duf.info/point.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.