Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've broken quite a few of them, 3 or 4 on my 7 ½ pound 340 Wby.
I've had reticles fall out, dials fall off and just a shifting lens inside somewhere. The AO models are prone to trouble. I have a few still, i like the 2.5-8 for being fairly compact and light. Never broke one of these. I have not had the best luck dialing them but my VX5 seems to dial fine. My 2.5-8 don't dial at all. They are sight in and forget only

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Better off with a $30 Simmons. At least when it schits the bed you don't feel stupid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Better off with a $30 Simmons. At least when it schits the bed you don't feel stupid.

Your mean.....

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got the same email from leupold 5 weeks. Not excited about that. Honestly Leica would probably fix a problem faster. As for leupold being junk. I showed a picture a few weeks back that shows why.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Third owner of one of the rubber armored spotting scopes that just did not seem up to my expectations. I had lost the objective cover and replaced it with a lid from a racquet ball can. Got the scope back in 5 days with a new sharp as a tack front end and my replacement cover installed. Note said my cover was superior to theirs so they did not bother with a replacement there.

Good products in my book, and I have some seriously heavy kickers.

1Minute
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Many would agree that Leupold are a good hunting scope but lets be honest, quite a few scope manufacturers have surpassed them in glass quality & internal parts for less money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Failures:

One 3.5x10x40 AO Vari x 3

Two 4.5x14x40mm Mark 4

Three VX6 's

I am done

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
VG, you are stand up brother.

I'll 2nd that. Well done, VG.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
7 or 8 years ago my mother gave my son and his wife a pair of Leupold binocs as a house warming gift as they'd bought a house overlooking a bay. They never worked right and they gave them back to my mother. She had them for several years before I saw them. I took one look through them and immediately saw the problem - the barrels were out of alignment and seeing through them was impossible. I sent them back to Leupold and a month later got a note that that model was out of production. The note was accompanied by a new pair of upgraded binocs. Mom told me to keep them as she'd long since replaced the house warming gift. They aren't expensive binocs but they are decent 10x40 roof prisms.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm still waiting for a couple of 1970's Tasco's to fail. Don't remember what I paid for them now but I'm sure I've got my money's worth out of them.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have 6-24 Tasco on a 22 LR. It's great as long as one never touches the power ring that I have leave at 10X. Crank it up and point of impact will shift 3 inches at 50 yds. Does exactly what I need on ground squirrels. I do have a 6-20 Leupold I took off a 30-378 that is now wearing a Ziess. Might bolt that on the 22 this spring.

1Minute
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
VG, you are stand up brother.

What other choice did he have...sold them to a fire member and constantly goes on here about Leupold being the best and infallible...he was in a place of his own making...with no way out..

From his frequent gun show table posts...he looks to be more interested in buying and selling used Leupold’s for a side income and is not shy about bragging up his wares..

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Varmint Guy, quote: "I always try to treat CampFirers with kindness and respect..." Man, you are so full of schidt it's flowing out your mouth. Your irrational hysterical rants that brand EVERY SINGLE California resident as a communist and much worse, fill the archives of Campire for years back as a testimonial to your 'kindness and respect'.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's hilarious is, the OP thinks Leupold failures are a rare occurrence.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you own 50 chevy vegas, they probably are great when driven only 100 miles a year.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
In full disclosure I post this.
I recently sold a Leupold scope to a fellow CampFirer here on.
The scope was a gloss Leupold 3x9 with adjustable objective. The scope had come to me on a Rifle and I replaced said scope before ever using it.
The scope sat with me for some time (years) until I saw our fellow CampFirer wanted one of these.
We settled on a price and off went the scope to the fellow CampFirer.
Once to him he discovered a problem with one of the windage adjustments and notified me immediately.
I sent back the fellow CampFirers monies PLUS an additional $20.00 for his time and trouble.
When I got the scope back I saw what his complaint was about and immediately (and for the first time in my life!) sent the scope to Leupold & Stevens Company enclosing with the scope the handy downloadable page for information on the scopes problem and my shipping information.
Well this morning the Leupold people sent me an E-mail saying the scope would be repaired and giving the time frame to it being returned to me (within 5 weeks of its receipt last week).
I was hoping the Leupold folks would elaborate on what was wrong /what happened with this scopes adjuster (feels locked up) so I could relay it to the CampFire but they did not - maybe it will be explained with the scopes return?
If so I will let you all know.
So after way more that half a centuries worth of using Leupold scopes (way more than 100 of these!), binoculars, spotting scopes and compass's I have experienced my first "failure".
Long live Leupold & Stevens - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You're an idiot....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
In full disclosure I post this.
I recently sold a Leupold scope to a fellow CampFirer here on.
The scope was a gloss Leupold 3x9 with adjustable objective. The scope had come to me on a Rifle and I replaced said scope before ever using it.
The scope sat with me for some time (years) until I saw our fellow CampFirer wanted one of these.
We settled on a price and off went the scope to the fellow CampFirer.
Once to him he discovered a problem with one of the windage adjustments and notified me immediately.
I sent back the fellow CampFirers monies PLUS an additional $20.00 for his time and trouble.
When I got the scope back I saw what his complaint was about and immediately (and for the first time in my life!) sent the scope to Leupold & Stevens Company enclosing with the scope the handy downloadable page for information on the scopes problem and my shipping information.
Well this morning the Leupold people sent me an E-mail saying the scope would be repaired and giving the time frame to it being returned to me (within 5 weeks of its receipt last week).
I was hoping the Leupold folks would elaborate on what was wrong /what happened with this scopes adjuster (feels locked up) so I could relay it to the CampFire but they did not - maybe it will be explained with the scopes return?
If so I will let you all know.
So after way more that half a centuries worth of using Leupold scopes (way more than 100 of these!), binoculars, spotting scopes and compass's I have experienced my first "failure".
Long live Leupold & Stevens - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You're an idiot....

VarmintIdiot

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm still waiting for a couple of 1970's Tasco's to fail. Don't remember what I paid for them now but I'm sure I've got my money's worth out of them.

Take some of your retirement and buy some 22 ammo so you can at least pull one out of the closet once a decade. Those tascos probably have more dust than your old lady’s drawers .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have owned 20+ various Leupolds through the years. Never had one fail that wasn't by my own doing. I thought I was going to be sending a vx111 3.5-10 back last fall because tracking was radical. Ran the windage and elevation adjustments all the way from stop to stop and back to center. Had no problem with dialing it in after that. They may not be the best scope on the market,but they have served me well. Maybe one day when I thin the herd to a couple rifles I will buy some "good glass"

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm more interested in solid mechanical performance than the "glass" almost everyone talks about. If my old M8 6x42 Leupolds adjusted like my SWFA 6x42 MQ scopes I'd really have something.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (204guy, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 36 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,336
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.