Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Why a garand over an m1a just out of curiosity. M1 garand needs clips to function and a very specific ammo type (or it breaks) vs the m1a which can run on any 7.62x51 or .308 and feeds from a modern and common box.

GOD Bless America
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Not sure if its the best but I just got a Montana XAR left hand in 308. Shoots into an inch with just about anything.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Quak
Why a garand over an m1a just out of curiosity. M1 garand needs clips to function and a very specific ammo type (or it breaks) vs the m1a which can run on any 7.62x51 or .308 and feeds from a modern and common box.

Quak - enlighten me - is the M1A not as dependent on powder pressure curves as the Garand?
I know the Garand is limited to powders between 4320 and 3031 without changing ports - how about the M1A?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion regarding the M1A (which will probably happen anyway), but the following quote from Lt. Colonel Chandler pretty much sums up my aversion to it:

The M14 is a bitch to keep in tune, and an untuned M14, no matter who did the accurizing is about as accurate as a thrown rock. Unless the M14 is continually babied it will not retain accuracy. Imagine the hardships and brutalities a scoped M14 will experience as a DM weapon in combat. (One recalls the story of Carlos Hathcock walking back to the shoot house and starting to pass out, another Marine grabbed the accurized M14 and let The Ultimate Sniper fall face first into the asphalt. Letting a weakened man fall to keep the pathetic NM M14 accurate). No M14 ever built will stay accurately zeroed and tight group shooting, under field conditions.”

The M14, Not Much For Fighting

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/27/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Have had a couple examples both weapons. The 14 has a gas cut off and the garand does not. You don’t hear of shooters bending or breaking opp rods in a 14. 14s gas port was also closer to the chamber and generated a lot more pressure iirc. Ive never had personally nor heard of issues due to pressure curves causing malfunctions with M1as...and with all the tactical models SA has been pumping out over the last 20 years there are lots of em out there.

Neither are truly good accuracy platforms imho...and the 14 certainly is not any worse than the garand in that respect. Personally i think the way they both anchor in the stock is the main reason...or at least one of them.

I’ve had two heavily acurized m1a platform guns. A springer NM with a Krieger barrel and a 2 lug LRB with a krieger barrel...both bedded in McMillan stocks. Neither would shoot MOA with an optic and if I were being honest they were closer to 2 MOA.

Ive never shot a Garand with an optic BUT I've owned several and shot several more and while never terrible i certainly never found them to be any more accurate than a M1a with irons...though to be honest that's likely the limitation of the shooter (me).

There is also the issue about the .308 being better than the 06 wink

Last edited by Quak; 01/27/21.

GOD Bless America
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I can tell you this also...I had the chance to shoot an actual M14. Surprisingly this is a rare bird. Total [bleep] in full auto fire. Very hard to control. From what I can gather online the G3 and FAL weren't a whole lot better. The idea of a full auto super light machine gun in .308 is a pipe dream imho. We should have adopted the STG45 in 7.92x33

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
M-70..like Porsche, there are NO substitutes...

This...you could not give me a Montana. Everyone I owned was a piece of shid.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis

Yep. That's what I've read about Kimber - it's a crap shoot on weather or not you'll get a good one.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Hate to say it but it seems like most rifles are that way any more

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ldmay375
If you reconsider the Ruger, it is also offered in an 18” as well as the 16.

Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. I was looking at the M70.

I also looked at the Ruger Gunsite Scout, and I like the concept, but that barrel is awfully short at 16" and I don't think I want another Ruger.

The Ruger is available in Controlled round feed?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Yes.

- Del Gue
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Yes.

You learn something new everyday in the 'Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just watching Life Below Zero and Ricko DeWilde just flattened a giant moose with a Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 (S13E8).

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis

The one I got sure isn’t a POS.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ne-shooting-a-kimber-hunter#Post15678041

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just watching Life Below Zero and Ricko DeWilde just flattened a giant moose with a Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 (S13E8).

Are you sure it wasn't really a .338 mag? Based on the consensus around here the 308 can barely down a deer, let alone a moose or elk. smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. It really was a gigantic moose and he said that his .308 felt small, but it was a 1-shot kill. .308 was plenty. Don't know the load - that show doesn't reveal enough for us rifle loonies.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/28/21.

- Del Gue
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep. It really was a gigantic moose and he said that his .308 felt small, but it was a 1-shot kill. .308 was plenty. Don't know the load - that show doesn't reveal enough for us rifle loonies.

I hope he used a match bullet just to bother people here lol.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger Hawkeye, Winchester Featherweight or TC Venture WS.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't know how hard they are to find but I like my African in .308. With a 20" barrel it's handy in a blind and the iron sights are a nice touch.

Swapped the 3.5-10 with a 2.5-8 loopy so it's much trimmer looking. I'm sort of remembering $700ish when I got it from Whittakers.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have shot both the Ruger and the Kimber M84. I preferred the price of the Ruger but enjoyed the smoothness of the Kimber

As far as my M38 ...well you knonw that old saying about a face only a parent could love 😂😂😂

Last edited by HaYen; 01/31/21.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,130
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.