S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
wbbj 7 tv

New details emerge in Reelfoot Lake double homicide investigation
January 27, 2021 Clint Eiland
OBION COUNTY, Tenn. — New details have emerged in an investigation into the shooting deaths of two hunters on Reelfoot Lake earlier this week.
“One of the first things we look for is a motive. Here, we don’t have a motive. We don’t see a motive,” District Attorney Tommy Thomas said.

Three men were in the duck blind on Reelfoot Lake that morning. Thomas says now, investigators are getting a clearer picture of what happened.

Thomas says investigators believe 70-year-old David Vowell approached the blind around 9 a.m., asking if he could hunt in the blind.

The men said yes, but something was off.

“Approximately 9:00, a boat approaches their blind, and that was the suspect, David Vowell. Mr. Vowell asked them if he could hunt out of that blind. They said yes. He started getting his gear together. A few seconds after that, the gun went off, and Mr. Grooms was shot,” Thomas said. “Just a few seconds after he arrived and asked if he could use the blind, and they said yes, and that’s when the survivor noticed him loading his gun, turned around and heard the gunshot, and he thought it was an accident.”

The survivor went to help the injured friend, Zachary Grooms, and that’s when Thomas says Vowell allegedly grabbed another gun and shot Chance Black.
That’s when the surviving victim charged Vowell, pushing him into the water.

“He grabbed the gun away from Vowell. Hit him with it, knocked him out of the boat, and then he took off with the two injured friends in the boat,” Thomas said.

Investigators believe Vowell was able to get up and leave the scene.

“The water at that place was shallow, around waist deep. He turned around, and saw that the suspect was in the water. He had gotten up out of the water and was walking towards the bank,” Thomas said.

The weather has thrown a wrench into the search, which has been called off due to rising floodwaters.

“It’s rained a lot, and the water has risen, so now the search has been called off,” Thomas said.

Multiple agencies were involved in the search, but they still plan to patrol the area.

Thomas says it would have been hard for Vowell to leave the refuge without being seen, and the more time passes, the less they expect to find him alive.

“There’s no good way out of there. It’s a huge wilderness area. We’re convinced either someone assisted him in leaving the area, or he’s still in the area. If hes still in the area, he’s more than likely not alive,” Thomas said.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The old guy drove up in a boat, asked the young guys if he could hunt with them, they said "yes" and then, he murdered two of them.

This is really bizarre. One chance is, the surviving guy is a Psycho and he is making up stories.

The other chance is, the story is true, it doesn't make sense, unless the old guy had just gone psycho.

Keep us posted this is an intriguing story.
I would love to know, all that the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation knows.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don’t believe he ask to hunt , I heard today they had been at odds since duck season started on the lake . Just not adding up

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
This is the classic boomer story. Greedy old timer steals the future from two young fellas that didn't do anything to the boomer.....welcome to Amerika.

Hey, Jackson, go screw yourself! This is not typical behavior of a boomer.
You sound like a basement dwelling Millennial whose Mommy has not called downstairs yet to ask your sorry unemployed ass what you want for breakfast.

Get a job.

No need for mom to ask.

Hot Pocket and a Pop Tart

With a juice box

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EFHutton
I don’t believe he ask to hunt , I heard today they had been at odds since duck season started on the lake . Just not adding up

I'm a little reluctant to copy and post this, but I have been reading this thread since the story came out. This was copied from Arkansas hunting.net . I have no idea of the validity of the story. It is my understanding that if you "draw" a blind and are not in it at "shooting light" , that blind is available to whoever first come, first serve. This kind of sounds what may have happened.

"I read on another forum (only take as valid as it was said there to be valid) that it was said the ones shot and the shooter had a conflict about who was going to hunt the blind that morning. Per what was said, the older man was said to have had the draw to hunt the blind, but had not used it in a few days and was on his way to get in it to hunt right before shooting time, the victims, per what was said (again on repeating what was said) had been hunting the blind because the old man had not been using it, they were going to get in it again but saw the old man going to it, they then raced around the old man & got to the blind just as it was about to get to be shooting hours, claiming the blind away from the old man, who by the rules set up still had rights to the blind. As was said, an argument ensued, things must have went south, 1 old man vs several young guys. We know how it ended. I would expect (if info correct) the young guys never had their guns even out of their cases yet, while the old man, already mad & expecting a fight had his out & ready, might explain how it came to be. It's a sad & terrible deal, lose of life over a duck is hard to even comprehend, and it is just dumbfounding that it has gotten to this point now. Sad, Sad!!!!"

https://www.arkansashunting.net/threads/shooting-at-reelfoot-lake.276357/page-2

It's a long thread, and as has happened here a lot lately, it went South pretty quick.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Squidge
https://wreg.com/news/search-suspen...r-tells-investigators-what-he-witnessed/

Crabtree said the three went to hunt around 6 a.m. Around 9, a boat approached the blind with David Vowell inside. He approached and asked if he could hunt out of the blind, and they said yes.

Crabtree said Vowell was in the process of getting out of his boat, and Crabtree thought it odd that Vowell was loading his gun, because normally you don’t load your gun until you get to your hunting position.

According to Thomas, Crabtree said he turned around and heard a gunshot. He saw Zach Grooms was shot in the chest with a shotgun and shortly after that, Chance Black was shot in the side.

Crabtree managed to wrestle the gun away from Vowell, then threw the gun in the water and knocked Vowell out of the boat he was in.

Crabtree then took off to shore to get help and last saw Vowell standing in waist-deep water.

Vowell is still considered armed and dangerous. If you have any information on his whereabouts, you are asked to call the Tennessee Bureau of investigation at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

Very odd story, to say the least.

Wasnt this 3rd guy supposed ta be a 60 yr old
Now he is late 20 something

Totally conflicts with the bad blood specualation
stuff leading up to it.

Let the old guy you been arguing with for who knows how long into your blind to hunt.

Conflicts with the pass shooting /cock blocking ducks going to the old man in his blind specualations also.

Lots of contradictions even in what has been released " offically"

Some good ole boy schitt probably going on with what really happened.

????

Ducks..........
Sooooo worth it........
JFC....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
This is the classic boomer story. Greedy old timer steals the future from two young fellas that didn't do anything to the boomer.....welcome to Amerika.

Hey, Jackson, go screw yourself! This is not typical behavior of a boomer.
You sound like a basement dwelling Millennial whose Mommy has not called downstairs yet to ask your sorry unemployed ass what you want for breakfast.

Get a job.

You sound like a f ucking retard that can't handle the truth.....or a joke for f uck sake.................boomer

Ps some of us have a job and aren't suckin social security dry lol

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/27/21.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I'm a little reluctant to copy and post this, but I have been reading this thread since the story came out. This was copied from Arkansas hunting.net . I have no idea of the validity of the story. It is my understanding that if you "draw" a blind and are not in it at "shooting light" , that blind is available to whoever first come, first serve. This kind of sounds what may have happened.

"I read on another forum (only take as valid as it was said there to be valid) that it was said the ones shot and the shooter had a conflict about who was going to hunt the blind that morning. Per what was said, the older man was said to have had the draw to hunt the blind, but had not used it in a few days and was on his way to get in it to hunt right before shooting time, the victims, per what was said (again on repeating what was said) had been hunting the blind because the old man had not been using it, they were going to get in it again but saw the old man going to it, they then raced around the old man & got to the blind just as it was about to get to be shooting hours, claiming the blind away from the old man, who by the rules set up still had rights to the blind. As was said, an argument ensued, things must have went south, 1 old man vs several young guys. We know how it ended. I would expect (if info correct) the young guys never had their guns even out of their cases yet, while the old man, already mad & expecting a fight had his out & ready, might explain how it came to be. It's a sad & terrible deal, lose of life over a duck is hard to even comprehend, and it is just dumbfounding that it has gotten to this point now. Sad, Sad!!!!"

It's a long thread, and as has happened here a lot lately, it went South pretty quick.

????
So basically the young ones out boat raced the old man to the blind.
Old guy got pissed, got their and whacked em

Crabtree,s story got some holes in it .
If any of this is true.

Ducks.......
Sooooooo worth it......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Going for ducks is risky. whistle

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Squidge
https://wreg.com/news/search-suspen...r-tells-investigators-what-he-witnessed/

Crabtree said the three went to hunt around 6 a.m. Around 9, a boat approached the blind with David Vowell inside. He approached and asked if he could hunt out of the blind, and they said yes.

Crabtree said Vowell was in the process of getting out of his boat, and Crabtree thought it odd that Vowell was loading his gun, because normally you don’t load your gun until you get to your hunting position.

According to Thomas, Crabtree said he turned around and heard a gunshot. He saw Zach Grooms was shot in the chest with a shotgun and shortly after that, Chance Black was shot in the side.

Crabtree managed to wrestle the gun away from Vowell, then threw the gun in the water and knocked Vowell out of the boat he was in.

Crabtree then took off to shore to get help and last saw Vowell standing in waist-deep water.

Vowell is still considered armed and dangerous. If you have any information on his whereabouts, you are asked to call the Tennessee Bureau of investigation at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

Bullshit. Like someone else here said - there's more to the story. Vowell likely approached the blind, Crabtree's crowd told him to eff off, so Vowell began shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vowell had already been feuding with and harassing Zach Grooms and Chance Black .

Vowell had never laid eyes Crabtree before and that's why he didn't kill him too . Nobody knows too much about Crabtree .

If the old man is caught its 2 counts of 1st degree murder .

He could have walked out and called somebody to pick him up . If he isn't found soon they need to seriously expand the search .

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

????
So basically the young ones out boat raced the old man to the blind.
Old guy got pissed, got their and whacked em

Crabtree,s story got some holes in it .
If any of this is true.

Ducks.......
Sooooooo worth it......

You wouldn’t understand. It’s a heck of a lot more fun than a deer drive through Slums backyard.

You kinda act like a bleeder at times.

Happy Trails

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This ain't funny...but the name " Crabtree " in a story cracks me up... whistle

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rancid, was my first thought.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Rancid, was my first thought.

Back page of Outdoor Life was the first thing I would read every month.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sad deal.

I’ve been reading about it since it happened. Lots of stuff has been posted on other forums. Mainly speculation, so I’ll hold my opinions until more facts are revealed. Weird story, but I’m not buying the old man “walked out” of the lake.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Nobody hates a duck hunter as much as another duck hunter....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Pretty common down in here. Yeah, it sounds silly.

Veronica Crabtree is the skank that drives the bus on SouthPark

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Pretty common down in here. Yeah, it sounds silly.

Veronica Crabtree is the skank that drives the bus on SouthPark

She moved from Tennersee all the ways up to Colorady???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,479,011
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.