Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
But who knows, markets have acted irrationally before.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fascinating

Following
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ruger438
This a fascinating thing going on

On one hand it looks like a buch of little guys sticking it to "the man " but why? That is a big financial risk just for revenge.

Or a bunch of folks working together to move the market to make a pile.
But that takes coordination, and you have to cash out of your position to make money, and when thet srart cashing out this thing will drop so fast a lot of those folks wont get out on time.

That leaves my third thought, a major player (China?) , causing a disruption in our markets to weaken us.
I do believe there are people jumping in now that there is
momentum to this, but I think a larger player started this.

Sort of ironic, the folks that think they are sticking ir to the big guys, are following an even bigger player.

Dunno, I am just a dumb farmer, but something seems off to me.

This makes a heck of a lot more sense than than a bunch of "little guys" from a forum or whatever pulling this off. People have been posting stock tips on the internet ever since it became mainstream and nothing much ever came of it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like the elites privy to the inside stuff, $1,000 lunches, and marble floored executive suites took a shot from Cheeto eating couch bound gamers on iPhones.

Nothing is better than hearing them cry “it’s not fair”.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Reading this morning and some financial people are saying hedge funds lost $30 billion yesterday on this.

For those of you saying the little guy can’t do this, you’re wrong. It’s simply a case of enough little guys getting together to more or less create their own hedge fund. They are simply acting in concert.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Reading this morning and some financial people are saying hedge funds lost $30 billion yesterday on this.

For those of you saying the little guy can’t do this, you’re wrong. It’s simply a case of enough little guys getting together to more or less create their own hedge fund. They are simply acting in concert.

The little guys together can do this, but it is unusual.

Bottom line is: (in my opinion)
The hedge funds made an unwise move

And the Reddit folks are making an equally unwise move.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

The little guys together can do this, but it is unusual.

Bottom line is: (in my opinion)
The hedge funds made an unwise move

And the Reddit folks are making an equally unwise move.

Not really. Most of them aren’t really into to it for very much.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I found this paragraph especially interesting and am curious when something like this will happen in the political arena:

Even the cries about "it's unfair, it's coordinated" are the same. It's perhaps worth noting that historically, dating back to the days of Rome, once the people get sufficiently irritated, they have no trouble at all slaughtering the elite whose power is based on the very authority they have been abusing and in which the people no longer believe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I found this paragraph especially interesting and am curious when something like this will happen in the political arena:

Even the cries about "it's unfair, it's coordinated" are the same. It's perhaps worth noting that historically, dating back to the days of Rome, once the people get sufficiently irritated, they have no trouble at all slaughtering the elite whose power is based on the very authority they have been abusing and in which the people no longer believe.

I’ve been wondering the same.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I read that the average guy participating on Reddit is into it for about 6k - that's not a ton really.

If you're not familiar with reddit - it really is a weird place and sub reddits can get really out there.

Me

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

That leaves my third thought, a major player (China?) , causing a disruption in our markets to weaken us.

Sort of ironic, the folks that think they are sticking ir to the big guys, are following an even bigger player.

And its being done under the guise of populism......."getting even" and "sticking it to the man"....which given our current climate is perfect.

Hedge funds blowing up is not necessarily a good thing. Long Term Capital in the 1990's anyone? They have to raise capital somehow. Either the government bails them out or they have to sell longs to make margin calls.

Oh, and the credit default swaps they all have on each other.

Last edited by RJY66; 01/28/21.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you have to cash out of your position to make money

Only of the primary goal is to make money. Otherwise you can do whatever you want.

While there are plenty of participants who have profit as their primary goal, there are also plenty who do not. OrangeOkie posted a screenshot of a WSB user’s GME call stack that is up 41,000+%....there are people involved who are genuinely unconcerned about taking that profit and would be just fine with watching most of it disappear in return for getting something else they want.

And these aren’t wealthy people who can “afford to lose” a $20MM opportunity. Just run of the mill retail investors who are interested in proving a theory. That should be the more frightening thing for the Wall Street pros.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now the elites are covering their own with Interactive Brokers curbing trading of the stocks targeted for the shot sell squeeze. Hedge funds short selling companies into the ground are the scum of the [bleep] earth as far as I'm concerned. Triple fugg em. They've been crying like babies. Now they've been covered. [bleep] it all.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This has been so much fun to watch, can't wait to see which one they pick next.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
Hedge funds blowing up is not necessarily a good thing.

Blowing up (((hedge funds))) that are running 140% naked shorts on companies is a good thing. Even AMC which was 60% shorted, is a good thing.

These people are destroyers, not builders. Yesterday one of them was kvetching about how he dedicated his life to learning investing, read The Intelligent Investor when he was just a kid, and all that, only to get liquidated by a bunch of amateurs manipulating the market. How can a Jew like that be an asset to our economy if he can’t even follow the most basic principle laid out in the book he claims is his foundation?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
This a fascinating thing going on

On one hand it looks like a buch of little guys sticking it to "the man " but why? That is a big financial risk just for revenge.

Or a bunch of folks working together to move the market to make a pile.
But that takes coordination, and you have to cash out of your position to make money, and when thet srart cashing out this thing will drop so fast a lot of those folks wont get out on time.

Dunno, I am just a dumb farmer, but something seems off to me.
I agree. Also, is GameStop still a viable business anymore? It seems like the new Blockbuster to me, a market that has come and gone.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't think China has anything to do with it. It's some young people with computer/stock market savvy who wanted to stick some of the fat cats who make their living manipulating stocks.

They're referred to a "weaponized autists".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by RJY66
Hedge funds blowing up is not necessarily a good thing.

Blowing up (((hedge funds))) that are running 140% naked shorts on companies is a good thing. Even AMC which was 60% shorted, is a good thing.

These people are destroyers, not builders. Yesterday one of them was kvetching about how he dedicated his life to learning investing, read The Intelligent Investor when he was just a kid, and all that, only to get liquidated by a bunch of amateurs manipulating the market. How can a Jew like that be an asset to our economy if he can’t even follow the most basic principle laid out in the book he claims is his foundation?

Funny sheit, ain't it?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by Stickfight
[quote=RJY66]Hedge funds blowing up is not necessarily a good thing.

Blow the fuuuckers up!! It is a game they created and manipulated to enrich... themselves. They’ve run businesses in the ground to make a buck. Look at Elliot and cabelas/ bass pro. Ask the folks in Sidney how they feel about it.

No quarter.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm not sure what can be done to prevent it in the future. When you get right down to it, all those people were doing is buying stock.

How can (((they))) make it illegal to buy a stock that's being shorted?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.