Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I need to know the good & the bad before taking the plunge! Going to be a dedicated coyote night hunting rig. What gr and type of bullets should I be wanting to shoot? Can I find dies or should I expect to have to use a Redding type S and then do a two step bushing down process? Who makes a good 24” barrel in this chambering? What powders are best in this round and where do I find good load info for it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to Predator Masters and ask that question. I just wish we could get ammo and cases right now that did not cost a fortune.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A few friends of mine were shooting the 6 WOA which I am guessing is the same thing. They were using 75 grain bullets for the most part and killing coyotes and pigs pretty well with them. But that’s been a long time ago.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
A few friends of mine were shooting the 6 WOA which I am guessing is the same thing. They were using 75 grain bullets for the most part and killing coyotes and pigs pretty well with them. But that’s been a long time ago.

A guy named Dan Carey built a bunch of them. A lot of the ones he built had 1 in 10 twist barrels. Probably the reason a lot of guys ran 75 and 85gr pills. Had mine been twisted tighter, I'd likely still have it. If I were the op, id look into the 6 ARC, as there is a lot more support for that cartridge than the one hes inquiring about. You can also shoot heavier pills with higher bc's. Even though times are tough right now, I snagged this box of ammo the other day at Cabela's:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd also opt for the 6ARC - though relatively new, it ought to have decent support from the industry and have substantially less hassle than a straight up wildcat (i.e., easier to find components, dies, etc - hence = CHEAPER) with much the same results on the coyotes end. Why fight your way uphill?

YMMV.......

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+3

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why use that brass ?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah, 6mm ARC is your 'easy button'.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Yeah, 6mm ARC is your 'easy button'.

Yea.

I think that's the button I'd hit.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got one of the first 6 WOA. Works fine. Haven't shot it in years but no particular reason. Shot accurately. First load I picked with 85 tsx was around half inch at 100 for 5. Never went past that.

I'd likely go the 6 arc also today unless I had a bunch of 6.8 brass or such. Dang I can kick myself for not buying a 1000 fired 6.8s... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

I’d much rather be looking for that brass than that cluster fugk 6.8 spc 😂🤣

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BobBrown
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

Not sure you can take it down that far, but 6.5 Grendel converts down easy. Not that 6.5 Grendel is that much easier to find...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by joshf303
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

Not sure you can take it down that far, but 6.5 Grendel converts down easy. Not that 6.5 Grendel is that much easier to find...

And6.5 grendel is a 6.5 PPC. Which all PPC come from..... x39....

6.8 brass was all over the place before the panic... FWIW. Lots of em out there. Not my cup of tea as I despise .277 caliber.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
I've got one of the first 6 WOA. Works fine. Haven't shot it in years but no particular reason. Shot accurately. First load I picked with 85 tsx was around half inch at 100 for 5. Never went past that.

I'd likely go the 6 arc also today unless I had a bunch of 6.8 brass or such. Dang I can kick myself for not buying a 1000 fired 6.8s... LOL.

You and me both.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

6.8 brass was all over the place before the panic... FWIW. Lots of em out there. Not my cup of tea as I despise .277 caliber.

Why?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well the post caught my attention to read the thread... but like the other dozen plus guys...

make life simpler and go with the 6mm Grendal....

I'm shooting the 6.5 Grendal in a Ruger Bolt action, and its been pretty much handloaded and a lot of testing..

my first batch of brass that has been use for testing... both light loads and pushed hard...are on their 20 th plus reloads now...

Hornady brass, ( which I usually don't care for) is holding up very well....

Latest load I tested, was with 12.5 grain of Unique... recoils less than a 22.250... a lazy push.. but with a 100 grain bullet
it had no problem putting a tight little 5 shot group at a 200 yd target....zeroed like 2 inches high at 100...

didn't chronograph them due to leaving it at home... duh...

I've thought about doing the Ruger Predator in the 6mm version... more varmint type of service...

between the 70 gr Speer TNT, the 75 grain HPs ( that if they are still being made) from Sierra, Speer, Hornady, the 70 grain Nosler Varmaggedon, and then the various 80 grain SP and Ballistic Tip bullets out there.... there are plenty of options... even more so than the 6.5 Field...

I'm also finding the Grendal case works just fine running it thru magazines intended for a 223.....

See I'm busy talking myself into one as we speak.... can't find anything NOT to like about the concept...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

Why?
Stupid I know. Grew up with Elmer Keith not Jack O Connor. Didn't care for OConnor. Now I realize Elmer was a bit of an azz too.

add that to the most destruction from bullets on deer I'd ever seen was from 270s. And they kicked worse IE sharper than any 06 I'd ever shot.

Stuff I never got over. LOL.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Laugh some more. After Bill Ruger stabbed gun owners in the back in what the 80s? 90s? I just about can't stand Ruger either.

So... whats the ONLY ONLY ONLY gun I ever won? Ruger American in 270. Has a used scope. Yes its sighted in. Sits in the safe with a box of ammo handy. As a loaner backup gun. I take it along to deer camp. In case someone else forgets a rifle, or ammo or gun breaks etc... I won't shoot the thing on purpose.

That said I did voluntarily buy a couple of LCPs as they fit a CHL niche at times.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well the post caught my attention to read the thread... but like the other dozen plus guys...

make life simpler and go with the 6mm Grendal....

I'm shooting the 6.5 Grendal in a Ruger Bolt action, and its been pretty much handloaded and a lot of testing..

my first batch of brass that has been use for testing... both light loads and pushed hard...are on their 20 th plus reloads now...

Hornady brass, ( which I usually don't care for) is holding up very well....

Latest load I tested, was with 12.5 grain of Unique... recoils less than a 22.250... a lazy push.. but with a 100 grain bullet
it had no problem putting a tight little 5 shot group at a 200 yd target....zeroed like 2 inches high at 100...

didn't chronograph them due to leaving it at home... duh...

I've thought about doing the Ruger Predator in the 6mm version... more varmint type of service...

between the 70 gr Speer TNT, the 75 grain HPs ( that if they are still being made) from Sierra, Speer, Hornady, the 70 grain Nosler Varmaggedon, and then the various 80 grain SP and Ballistic Tip bullets out there.... there are plenty of options... even more so than the 6.5 Field...

I'm also finding the Grendal case works just fine running it thru magazines intended for a 223.....

See I'm busy talking myself into one as we speak.... can't find anything NOT to like about the concept...

6Grendel. LMAO. A new name for 6 PPC I suppose. Like the dang blackout. It was and is the 300/221.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
6 ARC is 7.62x39 brass?

Why?
Stupid I know. Grew up with Elmer Keith not Jack O Connor. Didn't care for OConnor. Now I realize Elmer was a bit of an azz too.

add that to the most destruction from bullets on deer I'd ever seen was from 270s. And they kicked worse IE sharper than any 06 I'd ever shot.

Stuff I never got over. LOL.

Gotcha. Yeah, that .270 ain't exactly the wimp we like to poke fun at here.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.