M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ivermectin won't protect against a 458

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reminds my of the Armadillo I shot with .357 rifle loaded with 125 grain HP Nothing left but the near side shell with a .357 entry hole!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
crshelton,

Yes I believe in ivermectin, wonderful how it enhances the human immune response, blocks Covid from highjacking it in the infection process.
And it works in other ways against parasitic worms and mites and lice, and such, killing the parasites.
I used to prescribe it for the kiddies mostly,
I am retired now and sure glad I do not have to worry so much about treating DALDs with it.
Since DALDs are a form of parasitic human, I always sweated giving an anti-parasitic drug to a DALD.

The Cold War continues, truth versus lies is what it used to be about and still is.
Eventually truth will prevail.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
elkhunternm,

Very cool the way your 460 WBY reduced load with 65 grains of AA-5744 and 480-grainer
has turned it into the equivalent of a .458 WM reduced load with 65 grains of AA-2230 and 480-grainer.
Near identical MV and pressure.
Recoil would be near identical in same weight rifles too.
Outstanding.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
As far as recoil, my .460 weighs 11 lbs and with the Pendleton muzzle brake the recoil is there, just not alot of it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Riflecrank,

Egad! Spoken like a real MD, not a bureaucrat , politician, or big pharma sales rep. You sound like our family Doc! Thanks.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thank you Ron !!

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wasn't there someone in the other place that had a 458 with an 18" barrel ?
I may need to do that. Make an 18" barreled Spruce King.
Yes I will be giving up a little velocity. But will gain so much in portability. Maybe go 17" with an ear buster on the muzzle end of it.

Last edited by CTF; 02/03/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
CTF,

Tim Sundles is the proprietor of Buffalo Bore ammo, exclusive receiver of Barnes 400-gr TSX production lately.
He claims that his 18" Marquart-barreled custom M70 .458 WM is faster by a few feet per second than his factory-barreled 22" M70 .458 WM.
18" MV = 2250 fps
22" MV = 2247 fps
Both rifles get his 400-grainer loads up to around 2250 fps.
2250 fps is the advertised velocity with the ammo he sells for 6 dollars per pop, $120 per box of 20, barrel length not actually specified on box.
We usually assume advertised velocities for the .458 WM nowadays are for 24" barrels.
Surely Buffalo Bore easily does that.

(That was before the current DALD-induced ammo-buying frenzy, Buffalo Bore's website is currently closed so they can catch up on the backlog of orders.
I will correct any specifics later if I get any of this wrong, off the top of my head.)

Mr. Sundles claims his faster and shorter barrel does it by somehow being smoother finished and slicker inside.
I suspect other things too, like tighter bore/groove and/or shorter-than-SAAMI throat in the custom rifle, either of which would jack up the pressures,
and limit the maximum MV obtainable within 60,000 psi MAP.
Maybe that is why he claims no more than 2250 fps for his ammo ? Higher velocity might blow a gasket in his 18" custom rifle.
Maybe he has an unusually slow factory 22" rifle ?
The standard SAAMI .458 WM is capable of 2400 fps with a 400-grainer from a 24" barrel.
By going down to 18" barrel and handloading any 400-grainer you like in your SAAMI .458 WM, 2250 fps is realistic.
From 24" to 20" shortening you will lose about 20 fps per inch, and greater loss per inch below 20" barrel length.
You gain only about 10 fps per inch of barrel above 24" length.
Personally, I like a .458WM barrel of 23" to 25", or 24" average.
23" velocity gets a +15 fps correction.
25" velocity gets a -15 fps correction.
24" is a better number nowadays for universal comparison of velocities amongst Crusaders.
(I am making up rules of THUMB as HAND of the King.)
The King of this realm is TRUTH about the .458 WM.

CTF,
Remember you can shoot .458 WM+ ammo at 3.395" COL in your Ruger .458 WM M77 Mark II, like Alderella. Add 100 fps to SAAMI-velocity ammo.
.458 WM+ ammo in the Spruce King might be capable of 2350 to 2400 fps.
What is the fastest you have done ? 19" barrel ?

If you persist in this short-barrel stuff, you will earn the title of Sir Shorty, Crusader Knight of the realm.
Not a bad thing, 400-grainer at 2250 to 2300 fps.
With the old X-bullet at that velocity,
Aagaard and Shoemaker said that was a better penetrator and big game killer than any other bullet they knew of,
and they knew of many.
Read the .458 Winchester introduction, page 715, in BARNES RELOADING MANUAL NUMBER 3, dated 2001, by honest Phil Shoemaker,
who prefers a 21" barrel on his .458 WM Mauser.

[Linked Image]

(Phil's standard handload with the old Hornady RNSP in 21" barreled .458 WM was 70 grains of IMR-3031 for 2040 fps,
don't know if that was corrected to MV, might have been over 2050 fps MV for 21" barrel, not a maximal load,
even by SAAMI rules.)

That must have been written in the 2000-2001 period before the Commercial Cabal started up the propaganda program
of .458 Winchester Magnum Denial, in preparation for the .458 Lott hitting the gunshops in 2002.
Big bore sales were stagnant since so many .458 WM owners knew they needed nothing more.
Time for some brainwashing !

There are so many parallels of the past with the current day Cold War of truth versus lies.
Heard today that the DALDs want to have a new government "Reality Czar" like the "Ministry of Truth" in George Orwell's 1984.
Only government-approved lies will be allowed to be called "truth."
That is like saying the .458 Lott is a better cartridge than the .458 Winchester Magnum.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by gunner500
laugh, between the both of us I know we'll get it done, and no trouble if I shear some screws, this rifle wont wear a scope when hunting Africa, I don't need optics to shoot a couch at 20 yards, just like my 505 Gibbs, those 600 grain Woodleighs are scope killing some-b's.

Woodleigh also makes a 550gn RN and Solid. I have tried the 550gn in 3 .458's and the .460 and like it so much I don't bother with 500 grainers any more. Have a few TSX's in that weight and about 1200 TSX in 350gn and 450gn weigh on the shelf plus some 405gn Remington's but the one I miss most is the 400gn weight as I got over 5 feet penetration from the .460 using that bullet and it was an extremely accurate bullet. Also have a few loaded up in .458 cases waiting for a "special moment".
Once sent a group to Barnes with 5 into .6 at 100yds from the .460. Shooting 3 under a half inch was relatively easy. Damn good bullet.

NICE! my Tanzania PH said he will shoot nothing but 550gr Woodleigh softs and solids in his 450 Rigby.

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by gunner500
Riflecrank, my Wife is laughing at us again when I explained to her about trying for the 1125 yard gong with a 458 Win Mag+, she asked what on earth is The King and Private 1ST Class Knight going to come up with next? she did however extend full faith in our endeavors! cool

Alrighty then, THE MISSION is henceforth to be known as THE CRUSADE.
Sir Jerry (member gunner500) and Sir Bob (member CZ550) are the first to achieve Knighthood in the service of King Four Five Eight Winchester Magnum.
I serve only as Hand of the King.
Knighthood is earned by service to King 458 WM.

I can say no more regarding Knighthood of THE CRUSADE at this time,
except to say that "Knights of the 458 WM" are Crusaders for THE TRUTH,
and the first step toward Knighthood is a pledge of loyalty to the .458 Winchester Magnum cartridge.
The Kingdom is the realm of big bore and express hunting rifles.
King 458 WM has run circles around any pretenders to the throne,
and he alone has been able to pull the figurative Excalibur from the stone.

10-4, "The Crusade" it shall be Oh Mighty Right Hand of The King"........................Perfect, in other news, I have a Buddy looking for a Nightforce 20 MOA rail for a Model 70 Classic, and another with a hard ear to the ground in search of some AA-2230. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Crusader Sir Jerry,

Your endeavors are most noble.
20 MOA from the base is a good beginning of the quest to hit the 1125-yard gong with your lovely .458 WM+.
Can you actually hear the hit from that far away when you are using the .338/378 WBY ?
If so, how many seconds from firing do you hear the hit ?
How many MOA additional can you get from your scope adjustments and your reticle holdover, without going to a blue-sky hold ?
Have you got a pet name for your .458 WM+ M70 ?
Remember that a female name is customary, even though Daniel Boone called his rifle "Tick Licker"
because he could remove ticks from his hounds at 100 yards with that baby.

I need ideas for naming my next one that will be the resut of these two having a baby:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron, I have never owned a 458win but once bought a packet of ammo and coveted a zastava 458 in the 90's. I also read the histories, including the sacred texts of St Aagard, and have never maligned the calibre or taken it in vain. In fact I several times defended it against folks bringing up the issue of old compacted ball powder loads . I don't aspire to knighthood being without a horse aka 458 in the stable but consider me a man-at-arms sworn to defend the thread from whomsoever unbeliever doth defile it. That took about 15min to type on a smartphone btw lol
.how do folks manage chatting on them..

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 158XTP

Ron, I have never owned a 458win

That is disgusting Karl smile smile but we will let you off since you had a 460 and so have shot 458 bullets.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
This is a test

Took a bit to figure this out 😥😀

Last edited by CTF; 02/04/21.
C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
That was the first fire in the new house.
Nothing overly fancy unless you consider a house that will go thru a 8 month winter burning less than 3 cord of firewood and not more than 50 gallons of #1 heating oil. While maintaining 75° F . Fancy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CTF
That was the first fire in the new house.
Nothing overly fancy unless you consider a house that will go thru a 8 month winter burning less than 3 cord of firewood and not more than 50 gallons of #1 heating oil. While maintaining 75° F . Fancy.

But I see daylight between the OSB..... me thinks 3 cords won't be enough..... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Ron, I have never owned a 458win but once bought a packet of ammo and coveted a zastava 458 in the 90's. I also read the histories, including the sacred texts of St Aagard, and have never maligned the calibre or taken it in vain. In fact I several times defended it against folks bringing up the issue of old compacted ball powder loads . I don't aspire to knighthood being without a horse aka 458 in the stable but consider me a man-at-arms sworn to defend the thread from whomsoever unbeliever doth defile it.

Squire Karl is a Knight in the making, just needs a good horse.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sir Spruce, aka CTF,

That is excellent homesteading going on there. Wish I had such a life.
Picture posting advances the Campfire Crusade for Truth.
Don't forget Spruce King, or are you going to have me dig up an old pic ?
19" barreled .458 WM ?
How fast with those 400-grain Barnes Original varmint bullets ?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of old pics, to Sir Jerry aka gunner500:

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 201 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 200 201

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.