Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Oh boy. I jumped off in this one.

In the past I've done the old torch and brass in a drill bit deal. Always seemed to do the trick.

However, I got to reading across the internet about the science of annealing. What temperatures it really takes. And more importantly, what consistency is required to see the real impact of annealing.

All in all, the science seems to show that my torch and drill technique was doing little to no good, and a waste of time. How wonderful.

So....how many have jumped down the Brass Annealing Rabbit Hole? And how far have you gone? Annealing machine? Induction annealing?

Interested to hear...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do you know that what you were doing was of little or no good?
Case necks splitting?
When you seated bullets did you notice varying neck tension?
What kind of ES/SD were you getting with your loads?
I use the torch technique and have been happy enough with it that I haven't touched the salt bath annealing supplies I bought a year or so ago.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

Some of the science that AMP and others have done is pretty telling.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I should say...I'm just posting this out of curiosity. As I don't own any fancy annealer - not an AMP, not an induction, etc.

Basically...I'm just trying to decide if torching is doing "enough" to be worth it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I just made this. I am waiting on a metal torch holder bracket and the tempilaq paint to show up. From some trial runs with junk brass, it seems like it will work pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used plans that are available online. Total cost was right at $100 for all materials.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Some of AMP's "science" has some truth...........some propaganda........some bull schit

that said the AMP induction system might be the best way to go but not everybody wants to spend a couple grand

the torch systems work if done properly, lately I have been doing the salt bath method. it works very well but is by far the most labor intensive of the 3 methods

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Might take a look at this one

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is another good one smile

EP 2.0 Annealer

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For my goals a torch based annealer has been more than satisfactory. I am a hunter, not a bench rest shooter. I wanted to extend my brass life and if accuracy was better on cases with a higher number of firings so be it. After doing my research I ended up with a Mikes Bench Rest annealer. This one works the same as all of the other torch based machines but comes in a complete package that I didn't have to add this and that to for all the different cartridges that I load for. I haven't had any neck splits since I started annealing 3(?) years ago and I can feel the difference both when trimming cases and when seating bullets in cases with several firings on them. If you want to spend a couple of grand I'm sure you will be pleased but you definitely don't need to.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh boy. I jumped off in this one.

In the past I've done the old torch and brass in a drill bit deal. Always seemed to do the trick.

However, I got to reading across the internet about the science of annealing. What temperatures it really takes. And more importantly, what consistency is required to see the real impact of annealing.

All in all, the science seems to show that my torch and drill technique was doing little to no good, and a waste of time. How wonderful.

So....how many have jumped down the Brass Annealing Rabbit Hole? And how far have you gone? Annealing machine? Induction annealing?

Interested to hear...

I anneal using a Mike’s Reloading Bench machine. I set the duration using 750 degree tempilaq. My shoulder bump and neck tension are consistent and case life is good. Must be doing something right..,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In a field (handloading/shooting) where absolute precision is sought after (and claimed), I will say once again that a great many of us have fooled ourselves for a long time in regards to annealing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Pretty biased motives, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Some of AMP's "science" has some truth...........some propaganda........some bull schit

that said the AMP induction system might be the best way to go but not everybody wants to spend a couple grand

the torch systems work if done properly, lately I have been doing the salt bath method. it works very well but is by far the most labor intensive of the 3 methods

This.

I use a simple torch and roll the case in my fingers for a fixed time, at a fixed position in the flame. Certainly not the most sophisticated or consistent method, but it prevents split necks and neck tension is consistent enough that my groups and velocity dispersion are small enough for my needs.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Back a while when I started doing my own loading, I did do some annealing of the brass
I did the stand them in water, heat the necks/shoulder and tip them over method.

I also load brass for a specific gun. I full length size to just start to feel the crush. I shoot
bolt actions and single shots. I gave up the annealing step. I have brass go 16 firings and
counting in rounds like the 243 and 6.5x284 just full length sizing to the chamber I am loading for.

I have a 270 that you will only get 5 firings max out of no matter what you do. But it shoots
really great and holds zero year round. I tolerate the brass getting tired with this gun.
It is a killer.

One split neck in a batch and I will probably do one more loading and watch for more issues.
If more splitting, I scrap that batch of brass with few regrets when the firings have been in double digits.

Just my 2 cents.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by scoony
I just made this. I am waiting on a metal torch holder bracket and the tempilaq paint to show up. From some trial runs with junk brass, it seems like it will work pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used plans that are available online. Total cost was right at $100 for all materials.

Would you care to share the plans for this

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need another setup for annealing, as it's a slow process for me. I think maybe my torch is too small and isn't getting hot fast enough, as it seems to take forever. I use Templaq for most annealing, putting the cases in a drill and turning them. I also have not used Templaq, and just eyeballed them to what I thought was about right.

I guess if I reloaded more, I'd be willing to spend the money to upgrade.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Same boat. I'm tempted to try the Annie Annealer - induction machine. Under $500. Still a lot more than 2 torches, but yeah. Pretty sweet looking set up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So then MD and some other guys are all wet when it comes to using the cheap, but useable candle method? Or. do you just feel the need to spend money?
To speed things up a little, I do the torch, finger, 5 second deal. Roll the heated brass on my cool cement floor. YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
So then MD and some other guys are all wet when it comes to using the cheap, but useable candle method? Or. do you just feel the need to spend money?
To speed things up a little, I do the torch, finger, 5 second deal. Roll the heated brass on my cool cement floor. YMMV

No they are not. I have used and still use both torch and candle methods as they both get the job done. I did get tired of the soot from the candle so I bought a 3.99 alcohol lamp and a gallon of denatured alcohol. Works much better and no soot.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't anneal. I toss when I can't get necks to hold bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.