Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of purchasing this (or a similar year) Kubota tractor for our humble ranch: 2020 KUBOTA L2501HST

Deets for use: 30+ acres with a dozen cows, no crazy abuse just lifting cows and elk for butchering/loading, lifting 1000# round bales, cleaning up rotted stumps--pulling out fallen trees, moving snow and gravel piles....typical small farm use.
I would like to use the PTO for post hole digging/fence work.

Thoughts / opinions?

I'd rather avoid team green, I like JD & currently own a JD 345 garden tractor/mower, but initial purchase price & parts prices turn me off.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
thinking i would move up into the mid 30 to 40 horsepower tractor

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree, for those stated uses you are going to want a heavier rig and more than 25 hp. 3301 or 3901 would be the smallest I would consider.

Mark in GA.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
those little tractors can do a lot for their size, but if and when you pick up that much weight with the front end, you will quickly figure out that you better have some implement weight on the back because she'll get real light back there real quick.I think the Kubota's are good tractor for the money.

I started with a little Kubota like that and also found it to ride rough. I upgraded to a larger Green machine and it rides mucho better

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by broomd
Thinking of purchasing this (or a similar year) Kubota tractor for our humble ranch: 2020 KUBOTA L2501HST

Deets for use: 30+ acres with a dozen cows, no crazy abuse just lifting cows and elk for butchering/loading, lifting 1000# round bales, cleaning up rotted stumps--pulling out fallen trees, moving snow and gravel piles....typical small farm use.
I would like to use the PTO for post hole digging/fence work.

Thoughts / opinions?

I'd rather avoid team green, I like JD & currently own a JD 345 garden tractor/mower, but initial purchase price & parts prices turn me off.

I wouldn't consider below 70HP for what you want and even then you will be lacking for some of your tasks

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The lift capacity would be my main concern. Tractordata.com lists the fel as 1131 at the pins to the full lift height of 94 inches. When you lift a bale the center of mass will be half the width of the bale from the pins so you're marginal at best if you need to lift a half ton bale. Lifting a 1500 lb. Steer is going to be a non starter. If you don't need to lift the bales more than a few inches the 3 point hitch should get it done.
I don't think that going up a size within the kubota line will get you much as it shares the chassis and engine. Going bigger will get you the emissions crap. Should do fine on the post hole digger.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That's a great little tractor. BUT, not for your lifting chores. Get a 50HP large frame tractor.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktail
The lift capacity would be my main concern. Tractordata.com lists the fel as 1131 at the pins to the full lift height of 94 inches. When you lift a bale the center of mass will be half the width of the bale from the pins so you're marginal at best if you need to lift a half ton bale. Lifting a 1500 lb. Steer is going to be a non starter. If you don't need to lift the bales more than a few inches the 3 point hitch should get it done.
I don't think that going up a size within the kubota line will get you much as it shares the chassis and engine. Going bigger will get you the emissions crap. Should do fine on the post hole digger.

Bucktail, you are reading my mind...

I think the above suggestions are great and i'll look to a 30hp minimum, but that loader max is an issue. Some of our cows are chunks..
Is that 1131# based on rear ballast concerns or just hydraulic limits? Probably a question for a Kubota guy, but some may know.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the Kubota 7510 . it is a 21 horse and the front end loader is good for 880 lbs. There are many times I know I was not lifting 880 lbs and it lifted the back tires off the ground. Sure, it can lift it about 6" or so but after that the tractor was surely stressed. I would not want to lift a bail very high. I'm sure the 25 horse has a higher lifting abilities, perhaps over 1,000 lbs but I think you should go bigger , like maybe 1,500 lbs lift.

I must say though, I sure like that tractor. It has been no problem at all with 1,0?? hours on it. I also bought a little too small , and cause if that , it gets beat up and I am hard on it. It cuts grass fine, and rototills fine , but plowing snow is rough on it. I can do it, but can tell , a little bigger would have been nice.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/06/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look at Mahindra, they out lift any other tractor in that class by a good margin and if you go up in HP you won’t be dealing with the DPF bs so no regen etc....

I just bought a 1626 yesterday

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can change to larger lift cylinders to get more lift, you can also modify the relief valves to get more lift.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have the Kubota 7510 . it is a 21 horse and the front end loader is good for 880 lbs. There are many times I know I was not lifting 880 lbs and it lifted the back tires off the ground. Sure, it can lift it about 6" or so but after that the tractor was surely stressed. I would not want to lift a bail very high. I'm sure the 25 horse has a higher lifting abilities, perhaps over 1,000 lbs but I think you should go bigger , like maybe 1,500 lbs lift.

I must say though, I sure like that tractor. It has been no problem at all with 1,0?? hours on it. I also bought a little too small , and cause if that , it gets beat up and I am hard on it. It cuts grass fine, and rototills fine , but plowing snow is rough on it. I can do it, but can tell , a little bigger would have been nice.

The ratings are usually at the pins. The further out you go the less you can lift.

Set them free again
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That tractor is the SAME SIZE as their 33hp. It’s just detuned to get around emissions regs. Not saying it’s “big enough”, just saying it’s “just as big” as a 33hp.

If you’re gonna be grubbing trees, and lifting round bales, you might want more capacity (40-50hp).

No, you don’t need a 70 hp, $50k plus, tractor for 30 acres.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by bucktail

Bucktail, you are reading my mind...

I think the above suggestions are great and i'll look to a 30hp minimum, but that loader max is an issue. Some of our cows are chunks..
Is that 1131# based on rear ballast concerns or just hydraulic limits? Probably a question for a Kubota guy, but some may know.

So the L2501 uses the same loader as the L3301. Tractordata.com shows the same specs for both tractors except that it lists breakout forces for the L3301. I don't think I'd go past the rated limits on a regular basis even if you could. I don't think that going up to 30 hp gets you much at least not staying with Kubota.

Set them free again
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yanmar builds compact tractors which are labeled John Deere.

When it comes to compacts, do not over look team blue. The New Hollands are highly considered by those who own them.

Also, Massey Ferguson/Agco/Fiat makes great tractors. All are worth consideration.

Your situation is similar to my own. I have twenty acres of irrigated ground in pasture grass and alfalfa hay with a few cows and horses. I cared for it with a 25 hp tractor for thirty years.

When my Son in Law purchased a couple of old tractors and left at the property, I soon wondered how I had gotten along without them.

1: a mid seventies International 70 hp Hydrostat drive with a large capacity loader capable of lifting well over a ton.
2: a late sixties John Deere 96 hp 4020.

They each cost about $7000. And gave many advantages not available to a compact tractor. Now I could pull a two bottom plow or a decent capacity disc. Now I could pull a baler and bale my own hay at the moment it was ready to be baled instead of waiting for a custom operator to show up.

I soon found myself buying a heavy 8 foot hydraulic adjustable terracing blade to clear snow from the mile of drive way. I bought an eight foot Road Boss grader to smooth all of that dirt and gravel road during the spring and summer.

None of this could nave been done with a compact or "Boomer" tractor.

There are a lot of used 55 hp to 75 hp tractors out there which will be much more affordable than a new compact. Red, or green, or blue, or orange........the color is of little importance, except perhaps which one has dealer parts closer to home.

And even that has become of little importance with web based tractor parts dealers across the nation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The comments to go a bit bigger are spot on.

I have a JD 40hp 4044m and still get into situations where it's a bit challenged. I ballasted the rear tires with beet juice and have not needed chains. I max the lift cap frequently moving rocks, pulling/moving stumps. Nothing wrong with your brand choice, just make sure there's a good dealer around.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I purchased an Kubota MX5800 a couple years ago for a 36 acre plot of wilderness
I am so happy that I went that size over the smaller ones.
The MX5800 has out performed what I thought it would do.
Go as big as you can afford I do not think that you will regret going that way.
Check out TractorByNet.com it has a GREAT Forum to learn from others.
Good Luck with what you choose.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

i'd go with something more traditional

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
L4060 is the perfect size for your application. I have one of them at one of my farms and it is a perfect size small utility tractor. HST is the way to go, handy and manueverable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Massey Ferguson 1526 a few years ago. It's essentially a 24 HP, 3 cylinder diesel. It does OK for my needs, but IMO, is seriously lacking pushing/pulling power unless in the lowest of its 3 range options.

Wish I'd gone bigger....

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.