Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My background is mining/construction equipment rather than tractors, but I'll chime in. I have learned to love hydrostatics for dynamic braking, maneuverability, and inching control. We LOVE them down here for mining machinery - the safety and control on steep grades is priceless. The key to a happy hydrostatic transmission is CLEAN, QUALITY fluids. If buying a used machine like that 2012, do yourself a favor and thoroughly check all the fluids for discoloration, deterioration, wear metals, and things like that. Don't be afraid to change fluids and filters if you have doubts about the previous owner's maintenance schedule.

You could also look at a skid-steer with auxiliary hydraulics if that's more your speed. Auger attachments are available and skid-steers are more capable in earthmoving/pioneering applications, but they're harder to work on (mainly access issues) and have poor tire life.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by broomd
Looking at this M7060 tomorrow...2012, 1400hrs. Shuttle shift. Pre-emissions. 67HP.

Any actual owner advice on this model?

Now that is a tractor! Category II lift points, I assume? Be aware of this when purchasing 3 point implements.

I would much rather have that one around even a tiny farm, than a brand new baby, wanna be, pretend, tractor.

I have spent a couple days on that model tractor doing loader work. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it.

Only negative: When the owner's wife shoots at a black bear, in the dark, behind the house, with a 12 ga and a magnum load of 00, and when she misses the bear completely, and also fails to consider the tractor in the background, said tractor is susceptible to broken (very expensive) rear cab windows, and expensive flattened rear tires.

But that is probably more of a wife issue, than it is a tractor issue.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have that 2501 tractor, except in a std transmission.It willl lift 800 pound bales, but I think it would grunt on 1000.Certainly lifting a cow to butcher would be pushing it's max.

Everything else you could do,but you would be working it fairly hard,go to the next step up,but you don't need dthe 40-50-60 HP, 35 -37will do you.

I'd advise Ag tires,not industrial as the industrial's don't have much traction in snow or mud and there is no clearance for chains. Then set the wheels out as far as you can. They are too unstable in close Definitely get the 4WD and buy a set of tractor chains.

I didn't like the HS drive but prefer the 8 fwd,4 Reverse std transmision. That gives me more options when working slow

You definitely need more weight in the back when lifting. I have a 5 ft heavier blade and I add 100 pounds of lead to it when lifting 3x3, 800 pound bales. Even a brush hog on back needs more weight for lifting. With the 100 pounds extra, I still have to be careful. It comes down pretty fast and I have to move the bales keeping them close to the gound..It will stack two high though, but not three. You would have to look at the specs of the front end loader for the next sized tractor.I don' t have them to compare.

Edited .In restrospect, I think the next size up from the 2501 has the same size frame. If so you would not add more weight, just more power.

I bought the 3 ft hay spears. 4ft is too long unles you are lifting 3 x 4's which the 2501 won't. ( the back end will come of the ground, I tried it)

With the 2501,you can't get an enclosed cab should you want one in the future.

As for drilling holes, unless it is softer ground, you don't have any down loading capabilities using the PTO.Only way to do that is get hydraulics to the front end and buy a post hole digger with hydrualics on it. That would also make it capable using of a snow blower or blade on the fornt .

Ihave 5 ft PTO driven snow blower on mine it is kind of a pain blowing snow in reverse all the time.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/11/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I didn't like the HS drive but prefer the 8 fwd,4 Reverse std transmision. That gives me more options when working slow

What a croc of sheit, pretty obvious you never had one.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mirage243

I drove both so don't give my any of your sheit.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Looking at this M7060 tomorrow...2012, 1400hrs. Shuttle shift. Pre-emissions. 67HP.

Any actual owner advice on this model? I think this size tractor is more what you need.You didn't say what size steer you were planning on killing or how but if you were planning on skinning and gutting it as you lifted it that little tractor wouldn't lift a big steer high enough.As far as HST or shuttle shifts theirs advantages and disadvantages to both.As far as a standard tranny I've run all three a lot.Guarantee no ones ever ran a loader for 8 or 10 hours wishing they had a standard instead of a shuttle shift or HST.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mirage243

I drove both so don't give my any of your sheit.

I am firmly in camp with Saddlesore. The hydro excels in tight back and forth loader work. And pulling a hay baler in varying conditions. Even doing loader work, I actually prefer a shuttle shift. But nothing beats a hydrostat for baling.

For ANYTHING else, give me a clutch and a gearshift.

And yes, I started driving a hydro IH in 1972. Operated hydros from 30 hp to 100 hp tractors, and in an articulated Bobcat.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
An update here....

Looked at the Kubota 70hp, decent rig, a beast really. It needed work done to it, but not too much. Everything adds up though--$.
The clutch/shift was a big negative. I wanted a hydro and In the end decided that the 70hp 'bota was simply more tractor than needed.

Ended up buying a Case IH Farmall 50C, this rig is mech identical to the New Holland Boomer 50, which was on my short list above. Apparently they share the same assembly line; both have solid reviews.

Tractor was used for a few years at a horse race track to pull a finishing rake, but honestly it's just like new.
The rear PTO remains unused. Under the hood is immaculate; tires are all in new condition.

47 hp, hydro, air ride seat, remote PTO, tilt steer. Joystick bucket. Wife jumped right on and drove it around, easy peasy and all smiles. Big plus!
Lift is rated at 1850# at the pin. I'll be working on (concrete) rear ballast; bucket is a quick tach--30 seconds to remove.
It was 9* this morning and it fired right up without a block heater.
it is emissions equipped and in truth I've never operated such a clean burning rig--zero smoke and smell--In comparison the Kubota was a fume-belching monster.

Thanks for the input here! it helped with the knowledge base going into this.
It's about time, work around our ranch will be so much easier...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that little gem set you back?

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not at all, I paid $23K delivered.
I bought from an individual who brokers really fine tractors. No sales tax and he delivered. I called Case and replacement cost is $36K plus tax.

That 23K was rich for my blood, but given the crazy stock market gains I've had this year it's all house money.
As a cheap ass, this purchase was pretty fun.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You did well for.23K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, baby.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, looks like a great tractor at a very fair price. Good luck with it!

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
not big enough

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
An update here....

Looked at the Kubota 70hp, decent rig, a beast really. It needed work done to it, but not too much. Everything adds up though--$.
The clutch/shift was a big negative. I wanted a hydro and In the end decided that the 70hp 'bota was simply more tractor than needed.

Ended up buying a Case IH Farmall 50C, this rig is mech identical to the New Holland Boomer 50, which was on my short list above. Apparently they share the same assembly line; both have solid reviews.

Tractor was used for a few years at a horse race track to pull a finishing rake, but honestly it's just like new.
The rear PTO remains unused. Under the hood is immaculate; tires are all in new condition.

47 hp, hydro, air ride seat, remote PTO, tilt steer. Joystick bucket. Wife jumped right on and drove it around, easy peasy and all smiles. Big plus!
Lift is rated at 1850# at the pin. I'll be working on (concrete) rear ballast; bucket is a quick tach--30 seconds to remove.
It was 9* this morning and it fired right up without a block heater.
it is emissions equipped and in truth I've never operated such a clean burning rig--zero smoke and smell--In comparison the Kubota was a fume-belching monster.

Thanks for the input here! it helped with the knowledge base going into this.
It's about time, work around our ranch will be so much easier...

much better

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea,the 2501 is the same size frame as the 3301, but less power.You will be lacking in the PTO and lifting capability You sure won't be lifting a cow. My 2501 will lift a 3x3 ,800 pound bale, but not 3x4'st. and I need an implement plus about 150-pounds of lead on the back For post hole digging,you won't have any down pressure on the 3pt

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No farmer ever said "I wish I had bought a smaller tractor."

Bruce

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I have two 55 gallon drums of -20* windshield washer fluid down at NAPA to pick up for the rears....if this damn weather would finally break to work in decent conditions! Brutal March.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was shopping for a tractor for the Idaho property a few years ago. Didn't want new with the smog crap.
searched and found a 20 year old Kubota L4610HST 46 HP for a reasonable price with 900 hours one it.
Had my brother do a complete service.. Shipped from Calif to Id.
I have had smaller tractor and worked the hell out of them.
I'm happy with the size and power would not want anything smaller.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I sell John Deere for a living.i will say Kubota makes a quality tractor.The Deere apple for apples is competitive on price.Someone on this thread said that Yanmar makes our tractors this is incorrect .We use yanmar engines in our compacts up to 75HP but they do not make our tractors.They are made in Augusta Georgia.Just another internet rumor that people take as gospel that is not true.Good luck with purchase.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.