Print Thread
Hop To
Page 97 of 150 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 149 150
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Windfall
Every time I open this thread my butt gets sore from kicking myself selling off a very nice 760 .257 Roberts. I won't even tell you how little I let it go for to avoid further embarrassment and ridicule.

I feel your pain, I did the same thing, My primary regret letting one rifle get away, I did the same with a 760 in .35 Rem.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I picked up my Savage M170 30-30 today. I'll see how it does with the 150 gr TSX this week. Pig hunt early March.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those are cool rifles. Not many of them around anymore. If you got a good one, it’s a hellova gun.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked this .30-30 carbine off Cabelas sale rack last year for cheap. Sweet little gun. I've been contemplating sending it to JES to punch it out to .375. When I called and inquired whether it was feasible, he said he's done several and they work great. Might have to get off my a$$ and send it in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I’ll bet that old action is slick. You may be surprised how well that old girl will shoot.

You're exactly right, slick as can be, i'll find out Mon or Tue how the old girl shoots, did a little inventorying on bullets after the Speer Hot Cors are gone, I found:

35 150gr NPT's
39 200gr Woodleighs
41 200gr Swift A Frames
72 220gr NPT's

I will load all with max charge of H-4831 sc, re-zero and use as needed for inside 200 yard hunting, being careful to have the same number of firings on all the new WW cases, after that, i'll work up a lifetime load for the old rifle with 200gr NPT's, concentrating on max accuracy and speed, I have a pile of those.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
What a cool and timely thread, I bought a corn cob? forearm 760 in 30-06 from an old Gent buddy of mine in 1991, he has recently passed, iirc the rifle is a 1957 year model, I have never fired it, did load up some 165gr Speer hot-cors with the prescribed max charge [61gr] of IMR-4831 at 3.300 col, pulled the old rifle out of the big safe his morning, unscrewed the Weaver rings and put the 2-7 Redfield on the table, will go out when the rain quits and zero the factory barrel sights, then re-mount the old Redfield and zero it two inches high at 100 yards.

I never chronographed the load, I don't think it's going to matter for white tail deer this side of 200 yards, I love the old rifle, it doesn't seem to rattle too much, as said, any deer that hears that is on the way to dying.

Ha! You nailed it buddy! I don’t tend to shake the snot out of my rifles anyhow, so maybe I just don’t notice any extra rattling!

I’ve got a 280 7600 and a 35 Whelen 7600.. Both of them are might good rifles, for Remingtons whistle

LOL, Sweet! sounds like you have a pair of nice ones too there Big Buddy, have done a little research on the 760 Remington during the crazy hit and miss, hurry up and wait day I had yesterday, this rifle has a plastic dust cover, I went to the old box the Man gave me with the rifle 30 years ago, inside an oily brown paper envelope wrapped with tape was the factory metal dust cover and a couple small springs, that old Man may have already de-rattled this rifle some as well as lighter trigger springs? don't know, do know the trigger is nice for what it is. cool

This old rifle has a soul, you can feel it, much different than the current plastic stocked stainless Remington offerings, Uncle has an old BDL walnut stocked heavy varmint in 22-250 and a wood stocked monster 300 Win Mag single shot 40X, same/same, the old guns have a soul.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What a cool and timely thread, I bought a corn cob? forearm 760 in 30-06 from an old Gent buddy of mine in 1991, he has recently passed, iirc the rifle is a 1957 year model, I have never fired it, did load up some 165gr Speer hot-cors with the prescribed max charge [61gr] of IMR-4831 at 3.300 col, pulled the old rifle out of the big safe his morning, unscrewed the Weaver rings and put the 2-7 Redfield on the table, will go out when the rain quits and zero the factory barrel sights, then re-mount the old Redfield and zero it two inches high at 100 yards.

I never chronographed the load, I don't think it's going to matter for white tail deer this side of 200 yards, I love the old rifle, it doesn't seem to rattle too much, as said, any deer that hears that is on the way to dying.

Ha! You nailed it buddy! I don’t tend to shake the snot out of my rifles anyhow, so maybe I just don’t notice any extra rattling!

I’ve got a 280 7600 and a 35 Whelen 7600.. Both of them are might good rifles, for Remingtons whistle

LOL, Sweet! sounds like you have a pair of nice ones too there Big Buddy, have done a little research on the 760 Remington during the crazy hit and miss, hurry up and wait day I had yesterday, this rifle has a plastic dust cover, I went to the old box the Man gave me with the rifle 30 years ago, inside an oily brown paper envelope wrapped with tape was the factory metal dust cover and a couple small springs, that old Man may have already de-rattled this rifle some as well as lighter trigger springs? don't know, do know the trigger is nice for what it is. cool

This old rifle has a soul, you can feel it, much different than the current plastic stocked stainless Remington offerings, Uncle has an old BDL walnut stocked heavy varmint in 22-250 and a wood stocked monster 300 Win Mag single shot 40X, same/same, the old guns have a soul.

That’s a fact! I picked up an older M725 280 Remington awhile back and it’s a slick old bolt gun. Wood and steel still is pretty darned nice, and it seems like the older bolt guns were much cleaner to me.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, simply made better Buddy, another old friend has a 722? I think it is 300 H&H, bughole shooter it remains.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah those old 721’s were a pretty neat rifle. Like a dummy my Dad gave me a 721 30-06 when I was younger he got in a trade for some firewood. Like a dummy I sold it and bought a M70.... while the M70 was a good one it wasn’t anything special.

Oh well, live abs Learn on that!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, BTDT too Buddy.

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tmitch
I picked this .30-30 carbine off Cabelas sale rack last year for cheap. Sweet little gun. I've been contemplating sending it to JES to punch it out to .375. When I called and inquired whether it was feasible, he said he's done several and they work great. Might have to get off my a$$ and send it in.

TMitch, I'm no 760? [old pump gun] aficionado by any stretch, and your rifle of course, but I wouldn't drill that 30-30 Sir, that's got to be a rare bird, running 170gr Partitions at 2400 fps with RL-15 aint going to run from much, plus, you could send 150gr Partitions outta that little mag fed? banger, nice rifle, Congrats on the purchase.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear ya gunner, but this isn't a 760, it's a Savage 170 tube fed trombone. Not sure they're all too rare, they were kind of a budget gun in their day. It's a nice handy shell shucker as is, probably why I haven't sent it in yet. crazy

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you have a rattle in the fore end a new Oring will take care of it. It’s not that bad to change, plenty of videos showing how to take it down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hear ya gunner, but this isn't a 760, it's a Savage 170 tube fed trombone. Not sure they're all too rare, they were kind of a budget gun in their day. It's a nice handy shell shucker as is, probably why I haven't sent it in yet. crazy

Neat rifle though. They shoot well?

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Neat rifle though. They shoot well?

I haven't sat down and tried to squeeze groups out of it. I did run a box of WW 150gr Deer Season through it checking sights and function at about 50yds. It fed, fired and ejected perfectly and the cheapo scope in Weaver roll off mounts, as well as the irons, were still spot on. It shot as well as I held sitting with my back against a tree, easily "minute of deer heart".

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If someone wants a 760. I bought a couple yesterday in 30-06. Let me know.
I'm cleaning them now. I think I'll probably sell one, I don't care which. The older one had a totally shot recoil pad on it and I'm putting a better one on now. The forearm has some damage to it. I also put an open sight on it. The original was missing.

The newer one is pretty good shape with slight dents throughout the stock.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If someone wants a 760. I bought a couple yesterday in 30-06. Let me know.
I'm cleaning them now. I think I'll probably sell one, I don't care which. The older one had a totally shot recoil pad on it and I'm putting a better one on now. The forearm has some damage to it. I also put an open sight on it. The original was missing.

The newer one is pretty good shape with slight dents throughout the stock.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Genuine from Pennsyltucky.
For sale.
Ain't got nuttin to do with it.
Saw it and thought of posters here wanting a 35.

Sorry, on review noticed Trade Pending.
But, if one was interested it might fall apart.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/07/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, 10-foe TMitch, just affirmed my no aficionado status! grin cool old rifle nonetheless, I hope you bust some venison with that rifle this year.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MagMarc
If you have a rattle in the fore end a new Oring will take care of it. It’s not that bad to change, plenty of videos showing how to take it down.

Thanks MagMarc, for some reason this rifle isn't that loud, I would have to be really acting like a goofball for any deer too hear me getting ready to put him in the bed of my truck, many Thanks for the tip anyway, the old Gent I got the rifle from may have already quieted her down.

Trump Won!
Page 97 of 150 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.