Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A lot of lessons there.

1. A pistol is not a magic wand.

2. Space is your friend. A dead man can cover more distance than you realize.

3. Capacity matters.

4. Only CNS hits count for an instant stop.

Well said. That sums up the lessons.

You have to wonder, however, if a .45 would have been more effective. US Forces in the Philippines fighting the Moro natives had similar results to what we see here using handguns of the same caliber, but when our retired inventories of .45 Colt revolvers were degreased and sent out to our forces there, they reported a very noticeable improvement in stopping power. No longer were the natives continuing to charge and slice solders up after taking multiple center mass hits.

What caliber were they using before the .45 Colts were reissued?

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by BamBam
Originally Posted by cv540

'2 to the chest 1 to the head makes the azzhole dead, Dead,DEAD"

Why waste two to the chest

Insurance when you're all hopped up on adrenalin and not aiming like you would on a nice sunny day at the range. I can't imagine having to actually think/function while your body is dumping that much adrenalin into your system all at once. Sad situation but glad the PO is ok. Could've easily been a trajedy if the perp had a different weapon.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A lot of lessons there.

1. A pistol is not a magic wand.

2. Space is your friend. A dead man can cover more distance than you realize.

3. Capacity matters.

4. Only CNS hits count for an instant stop.

Well said. That sums up the lessons.

You have to wonder, however, if a .45 would have been more effective. US Forces in the Philippines fighting the Moro natives had similar results to what we see here using handguns of the same caliber, but when our retired inventories of .45 Colt revolvers were degreased and sent out to our forces there, they reported a very noticeable improvement in stopping power. No longer were the natives continuing to charge and slice solders up after taking multiple center mass hits.

.38’s of some flavor iirc.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn! He was like a,,,,,,,,,,

Like a zombie!!!!

Leaning more towards K2. That effect happens often. I've seen it take 4 officers to take down someone on K2. K2, otherwise known as Spice, can make someone zombie like and impervious to pain.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/08/21.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The .45 is Coming Back to the Military

By Major Van Harl, USAF Ret.

I hope most remember the old TV serious Gun Smoke that was on the air for the first half of my life and now is seen in reruns. The opening scene was Marshal Matt Dillon pulling his Colt Single Action Army .45 six-gun and shooting some off screen bad guy. The 45 caliber handgun was the same type issued to the US Army and Navy in 1873.

To be quite honest it put big holes in whoever was on the receiving end. In the gun world we call that stopping power. When you are in the business of enforcement of the law, whether as a cop or a soldier, sometimes you just need to put an end to a dangerous situation right now. "Cost of stopping the bad buy before he does you harm, so you can go home to your family--priceless."

In the late 1890s when we were at war in the Philippines the Army had switched to a DA .38 Long Colt caliber revolver. We were facing a new type of enemy, the Muslin extremist, the Moro. They were known to use native drugs that inhibited the sensation of pain. This meant that when they went into battle with US soldiers and got shot by a rather anemic .38 caliber revolver it just did not reliably stop the Moro. After numerous US deaths, old Colt 45 revolvers, long in storage back in the States, were rushed to the Philippines and issued to the troops.

Even hopped-up Moros were unable to disregard the pain of a 45 round, no matter how big a dose of native pain killer they had taken. This situation lead the Army to hold the Thompson-LaGarde Test in 1904 and what they did was shoot live cows to see what effect different calibers of ammunition had on the animals. (That makes sense only if you are going to war with a herd of steers and, in the event, no pistol caliber proved an efficient steer killer.) I am not sure our current Department of Defense could get away with that in the modern world. But it did not stop with cows. They also rounded up cadavers and hung them up for testing. The bodies were shot and the swing or lack of swing (a crude measure of momentum) that was generated by a particular bullet was noted.

Regardless of the scientific and practical irrelevance or just plain grossness of the testing, the results had a major impact on the military and law enforcement handguns for over eighty years. The US military decided to build a semi-automatic pistol in .45 caliber that would serve the GIs, Marines and Sailors through WW I, WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. A few were even used in the first Gulf War.

Many a WW II recruiting poster had some strapping young American warrior holding his Colt, 1911 .45 acp pistol and pledging his life to defend the nation. The 1911 Colt was deemed so important for use in WW I trench warfare, that an attempt was make to arm every American troop on the front line with a handgun. When they could not make enough semi-auto pistols, the Army had Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers manufactured in the same caliber.

After WW II, NATO was formed and this meant weapons and ammunition were standardized by the different country's armies and navies. The US forced all the countries to use our types of rifle ammunition, but only Denmark was using a 45 handgun. For the most part the rest of Western Europe was using the 9x19 millimeter round that the Germans had adopted before WW I.

When I first came into the Air Force as a cop we carried .38 Special revolvers. These were significently more powerful than the old .38 Long Colt cartridge use in the Phillippines at the turn of the Century.

They had used 45 pistols in 1950s but by Vietnam era we were carrying .38s whether you were a cop on the ground or an air crew member flying into combat. The .38 Special was the industry standard in the civilian law enforcement world at that time, but it was not intended to be a front line combat handgun.

In the 1980s the entire Department of Defense converted to a Beretta 9x19mm pistol and that was suppose to be the end of discussion on handguns in the military. Many special united such as Marine Recon or Army Delta Force kept right on using the 45. The Army has announced that it plans to buy 60,000 new 45 caliber semi-auto pistols for its front line troops. Most likely it will be a more modern handgun than the venerable old Colt 1911 but whatever is chosen it will be a 45 caliber round coming out the business end of barrel. Aim high, shoot big-bore.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I never did care for the 9mm. I honestly cannot understand why they're so popular. I certainly wouldn't want to get shot by one, but the fact remains that there are far better choices.

Agreed. I carry one all the time because it fits in my pocket.

But if I was carrying open, I'd rather have my DW Bruin or G40, both of which will accurately, and without excessive recoil, launch a 155gr XTP at 1,600 fps. No one is going to smile or move much after being hit with that in the upper midsection IMO.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Or 200’s at 1400fps. 😉

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ain't that the truth!
Used to tell students the pistol they are carrying is so you can fight your way back to the gun they should have brought in the first place.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

38 Long Colt...125gr round nose lead bullet at about 900 fps. Sound familiar?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn! He was like a,,,,,,,,,,

Like a zombie!!!!

Leaning more towards K2. That effect happens often. I've seen it take 4 officers to take down someone on K2. K2, otherwise known as Spice, can make someone zombie like and impervious to pain.

Yep like I said in a prior post on this thread...pain only hurts if you feel it! K2 or any number of drugs as well as a really phugged up mental status can make any sensation of pain non existant. Couple that with the drug or mental induced lack of fear and this can happen. Guy was probably "dead on his feet" after the first couple center mass hits but didnt know it until his body started shutting off due to hemorrhagic shock etc. Think how far many fatally hit game animals we shoot travel before falling over if the initial impact didnt deliver instant knockdown.

Last edited by marktheshark; 02/08/21.
IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I want, what he's on!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Think how far many game animals we shoot travel before falling over if the initial impact didnt deliver instant knockdown.

Yep.

Biggest difference is we stop shooting after one solid hit.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looked like suicide by cop to me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Think how far many game animals we shoot travel before falling over if the initial impact didnt deliver instant knockdown.

Yep.

Well if the cop was a cannibal he might have held off and not wasted that rib meat

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yep.

Well if the cop was a cannibal he might have held off and not wasted that rib meat

Don’t know about cannibal but he sure looked like he never missed a meal.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

38 Long Colt...125gr round nose lead bullet at about 900 fps. Sound familiar?

.38 Long Colt, 150 gr. lead roundnose at 771 fps for 201 ft. lbs. of energy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For the year book.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What were they shooting him with? 9mm or 6.5 Creed?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
9mm or 270 same same. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder if whatever the ded guy was using would work for a tooth abscess?

I thought about getting someone to shoot me one time while waiting through a long weekend with an abscessed jaw tooth.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 993 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.