Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Wonder if whatever the ded guy was using would work for a tooth abscess?

I thought about getting someone to shoot me one time while waiting through a long weekend with an abscessed jaw tooth.

Why is it it always happens on a weekend???

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I wasn't there but the perp presented a pretty easy head shot from the way it looked to me.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Wonder if whatever the ded guy was using would work for a tooth abscess?

I thought about getting someone to shoot me one time while waiting through a long weekend with an abscessed jaw tooth.

Why is it it always happens on a weekend???

I don't know but I for darn sure remember the two times its happened to me!

My dentist parks in his spot behind the building and there I sit on his back steps. He says, well I guess we know which one it is now?

I'd been to see him the Thurs before with some pain, he checks it out, xrays etc, can't tell exactly what going on. No busted tooth and no decay.

Turns out the nerve just decided to die? Doc thinks its because that side of my lower jaw has been in contact with to many rifle stocks for too long.

I'll never know for sure but the only two teeth I've ever had problems with were the ones involved in my "cheek weld".

There are emergency dentists around now, if that happens to me again I'll be there with credit card in hand!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

What caliber were they using before the .45 Colts were reissued?

I think it was .38 Long Colt.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A couple people texted me offline about this and commented, so I figured I would make a few comments about this.

The person on the receiving end on the bullets certainly appeared to be either suffering from a mental health issue or under the influence of XYZ. It would be virtually impossible for the responding LE officer to know that in the heat of the engagement though. Meth psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia look very much alike. But that is a whole other conversation.

As far as the shooting goes, people who have not seen people shot have some extremely unrealistic expectations as far as what happens. The bad guy dropped around roughly (using my highly accurate timer, counting one one thousand, two one thousand, etc )4-5 seconds after getting center punched with pistol rounds. Short of getting a spine shot or brain shot, that was actually fairly quick incapacitation.

People have been known to run blocks with lungs filling with blood, a hole in their heart, etc. I was involved in an investigation where a guy who had been stabbed numerous times in the chest as well as shot in the throat with a .22 rifle (the bullet lodged against the spine but did no real damage). He ran 2 blocks before dying from his lungs filling with blood from the stab wounds.

This guy went over pretty quick. It would appear that he no longer had heart/lung function.

The bullets did their job. I don't know if a larger diameter would have made any difference. It would not have hurt, but frankly when looking at the video, once the deputy decided to fire, the bad guy never hit him again and he went down and was incapacitated in a 4-5 seconds.

So in a nutshell, when you break this down, the ammo worked fine and the Deputy's shots were where they were supposed to be. He put rounds on target and the guy dropped to well placed hits within seconds, never being able to continue his violent actions.

Pretty hard to be critical of that.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For inquiring minds,
The logo on his teeshirt might be a version of an Army logo for the 160th Special Operations Airborne Regiment known as the Nightstalkers

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He must have been elite military at one time, then.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Couldn't tell if that was a duck and a goofy elephant or a Pegasus....

More details? Should white guys riot?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
He must have been elite military at one time, then.

This makes me fear TapOut shirts!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Couldn't tell if that was a duck and a goofy elephant or a Pegasus....

More details? Should white guys riot?

I thought it looked like a flying goose.

Searched the crap outta flying goose/sun/logo/tee shirt, etc.

Came up with nuttin, gaveup, it's meaningless anyway.

Last minute thought was, I couldn't be the only one inquisitive enough to look this up, ran his name (Kevin Costlow) and the single word teeshirt.
First hit directed me right back to this thread lol..who'd of thunk it.

It was mentioned in the OP, way down deep in all those comments.

Then I just looked up logos used by the Nightstalkers, there's quite a few similar but this one looked the closest.

Still can't really put it together but everything points at it.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A couple people texted me offline about this and commented, so I figured I would make a few comments about this.

The person on the receiving end on the bullets certainly appeared to be either suffering from a mental health issue or under the influence of XYZ. It would be virtually impossible for the responding LE officer to know that in the heat of the engagement though. Meth psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia look very much alike. But that is a whole other conversation.

As far as the shooting goes, people who have not seen people shot have some extremely unrealistic expectations as far as what happens. The bad guy dropped around roughly (using my highly accurate timer, counting one one thousand, two one thousand, etc )4-5 seconds after getting center punched with pistol rounds. Short of getting a spine shot or brain shot, that was actually fairly quick incapacitation.

People have been known to run blocks with lungs filling with blood, a hole in their heart, etc. I was involved in an investigation where a guy who had been stabbed numerous times in the chest as well as shot in the throat with a .22 rifle (the bullet lodged against the spine but did no real damage). He ran 2 blocks before dying from his lungs filling with blood from the stab wounds.

This guy went over pretty quick. It would appear that he no longer had heart/lung function.

The bullets did their job. I don't know if a larger diameter would have made any difference. It would not have hurt, but frankly when looking at the video, once the deputy decided to fire, the bad guy never hit him again and he went down and was incapacitated in a 4-5 seconds.

So in a nutshell, when you break this down, the ammo worked fine and the Deputy's shots were where they were supposed to be. He put rounds on target and the guy dropped to well placed hits within seconds, never being able to continue his violent actions.

Exactly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Hunters should know this ^^^^^^^^^^^^. A person can continue to fight 30 to 40 seconds with heart destroyed, no matter the cartridge.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

Exactly..

Still, you have to wonder if a .45 Colt would have dropped him a little faster. That Moro tribesmen experience in the Philippines really stands out as a corollary to this clip. They were punching .355 caliber holes in them tribesmen, and still getting cut to ribbons by them before they dropped. Switch to .45 Colt, and no more performance complaints.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Trying to analyze todays incidents by reading what is basically folklore is pretty ridiculous.

The stories get told and retold and somehow become "fact". The whole "one 45 bullet did what 6 .38s could not, stop a Moro cold in his tracks" is based more in legends and sea stories that have been re-told than in actual documented proof. The .45 Colt ammo was still round nose ammo, which has a poor track record when it comes to instant incapacitation. The .45 round nose was far better than .38 round nose by a long shot, but it was not knocking Moros off their feet like stories seem to say.

Just like the old horsecrap about "They all fall to hard ball" nonsense of shooting people with 230 grain ball ammo in 1911s. Its BS. Round nose ammo has always been a terrible performer.

The 45 is great with the right ammo, but so is a 9mm, and in the above situation I doubt you would be able to tell much difference.

BTW, here is an example of a failure with the .45 ACP. During the gunfight, the officer shot the guy 14 times. 6 of which were considered fatal hits. in the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney. But the bad guy still would not stop for a bit.

https://www.police1.com/officer-sho...nds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

Some animals are simply hard to put down, that is a fact. That is why when people tell me how they will calmly place perfect shots into the heart with their 5 shot J Frame .38 and the bad guy will instantly fall over dead as a door nail, stone cold dead, and they will be the hero of the day, I just shake my head. It is pointless. You can lead an idiot to water but you can't make them think.

The short version is that once the deputy chose to shoot, he put rounds on target, and the bad guy dropped within seconds. I don't see much to be critical about. But as usual there are a bunch of Monday morning QB with absolutely zero experience who seem to know better, even though the most dangerous thing they have ever done is slip in the shower.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
years back we had a cop shoot a guy with a knife in a grocery store twice in the chest with a 357 at close range and the guy just dropped the knife and stood there. Doubt anyone would believe a 357 as being underpowered

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is why the Marines in Afghanistan went to head shots.

The head is really hard to armor, and nobody survives multiple hits to the head with a service round, rifle or pistol.

Of course, the head is harder to hit (smaller and moving), and we're taught that the head is somehow of limits. Its not.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's not the caliber of the weapon it's the placement of the bullet. A 100lb doe deer shot through both lungs at 200yds can still run 50+ yds when shot with a 660gr 50BMG. And a 55gr 22-250 will take the wind out of a deer shot broadside faster than a 300 win mag shooting 180gr NP. And another thing when you shoot a deer high in shoulder - backbone, in the white throat patch or behind the ear with a 22lr they drop instantly. Bigger isn't always better, brain or bone and you will usually see instant results. Common sense isn't very common any more.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think Mr Sagebrush is the voice of reason. Read his posts again and learn.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by SS336
I think Mr Sagebrush is the voice of reason. Read his posts again and learn.

I concur

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
This is why the Marines in Afghanistan went to head shots.

The head is really hard to armor, and nobody survives multiple hits to the head with a service round, rifle or pistol.

Of course, the head is harder to hit (smaller and moving), and we're taught that the head is somehow of limits. Its not.

There's statistics on that. In modern warfare the percent of combat small arms deaths attributable to head shots is something like 70% It's higher than you'd expect.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,708
Posts18,494,424
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.