Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I haven’t done any shooting in about five years and my guns are just collecting dust. I used to have a cheap gun rest but my grandson has it in Michigan and I want to purchase a new one for here in Alabama. Any thoughts??? Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use a lead sled without any weight. I have long arms, so the extra length doesn’t bother me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
get you a caldwell "rock" front rest and a rear bag from same manufacturer and your set. i'm personally not a fan of lead sleds. i just put some protektor leather bags in my caldwell rests recently only cause i liked the leather look. you can get alot more expensive a set up on front/rear rests but the caldwell is solid.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A number of stocks have been broken using a lead sled. I don't care for them and prefer to shoot more like I will when hunting. They have a new one that you fill with water, this might work well if you keep it light so it is not almost stationary.

I like the Caldwell Rock as an inexpensive but very usable rest and with a leather "rabbit ear" bag for the butt stock. If I am going to shoot something with 300 magnum or harder recoil for an extended session I will wear a shirt with a kick killer pad on it. Or a strap over sorbathane pad like the PAST.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Get a good pedestal rest like a Hart or a Sinclair and leather Protektor front bag and a leather Protektor rear bunny bag. I've used this combination for many years with complete satisfaction. The Hart pedestal is heavy and won't move on the bench. I've looked at a Lead Sled and it looks like a poor substitute for a good rest setup.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad got a sled due to an eye issue.
Hes older now and doesnt shoot rifles.
Asked me if I want the sled.

Hell no.

One more POS to drag around. No thanks.

Think they are OK for those that need em.
I like reg bags just fine ( or bipod and bag ).
No retina issues so far.

Neck is fugged but can still take a boomer.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/11/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I load for calibers .17 through .45. and develop loads over a chronograph, using different bullets, powders and load densities. Some of the larger chamberings for which I have loaded include 45-70, 375 H&H, 376 Steyr, 9.3 x 74R, 9.3 x 62, 35 Whelen, 338 Lapua, 338 RUM. 338 Win Mag, 338-06AI, 300 Rum, 300 Weatherby.......

Anywho perhaps you get the point in that the above tend to have a bit of recoil.

Ruger #1, 375 H&H

I use a lead sled II with 40 lbs of weight exclusively. Never had a problem with a stock on any rifle I've employed, and that is a bunch. I usually put a piece of foam pipe insulation under and behind the recoil pad to help absorb recoil.

So just fer schitz' n' giggles, say you take three or four boomers to the range to do load development. Say you load five rounds of three different powders and three different densities. If my math is right, that is 45 rounds per chambering. Now if you only shoot 45 rounds for one 338 RUM or a 375 H&H off of the sled you still can feel it. Imagine what you'll feel if you are bent forward over a rear bag and front rest with nothing between you and the buttstock but a recoil pad at best.

One of my favorite things is to watch a guy that has shot a dozen or so rounds from a big boomer over bags with you reloading and then handing it to him to shoot. Hand it to him with an empty chamber and watch what happens. Almost always he is flinching or jerking the trigger.

I have found that using a lead sled sure helps remedy that problem.

JMHO

&

YMMV

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While back tractor supply had a big clearance gong on.

Had one Caldwell xterminator ( maybe?) big X shaped bag on the shelf $12 bucks.

Works great for that price. Normally it’s $50-60.

Rear bags i use crown royal sacks filled with Walmart’s clearance plastic craft beads. A pound for $1 or so.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock with Protecktor leather cradle and leather rear bag. Solid quality leather rear bag will do you favors.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good suggestions on the front rests, good protektor front bag and good leather rear bag. I'd chitcan the lead sled idea though. Also, if I were in the market for a front rest, I'd hit up ebay or local pawn/gun shop and see if I could find an older well made one. The old Hoppes aluminum front rests are great and they are reasonably lightweight, durable and steady. Ive bought a few of them in the $25.00 price range. Going back to the front rest bag, if you choose the protektor, go with 1 that is going to cradle your stock the best. The #1 is great for most hunting rifles made these days. Im talking lighter weight hunting rifles like tikkas, montana's winchester featherweights, etc. The #2 is great for a slightly wider stock and the #3 for full on benchrest or flat and wide varmint stock. I also prefer a sand filled leather rear bag.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good suggestions on the front rests, good protektor front bag and good leather rear bag. I'd chitcan the lead sled idea though. Also, if I were in the market for a front rest, I'd hit up ebay or local pawn/gun shop and see if I could find an older well made one. The old Hoppes aluminum front rests are great and they are reasonably lightweight, durable and steady. Ive bought a few of them in the $25.00 price range. Going back to the front rest bag, if you choose the protektor, go with 1 that is going to cradle your stock the best. The #1 is great for most hunting rifles made these days. Im talking lighter weight hunting rifles like tikkas, montana's winchester featherweights, etc. The #2 is great for a slightly wider stock and the #3 for full on benchrest or flat and wide varmint stock. I also prefer a sand filled leather rear bag.

Bag width is an important point that I failed to mention. I use the approximately (liberal) 1.5" wide Protektor bag for everything I have. It will also easily accommodate a forearm width slightly greater than that on a common hunting rifle. I bought a wider bag (don't remember which one) years ago and it gathers dust; absolutely worthless for a steady hold unless you have a very wide forearm stock.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use something similar to lead sled but without the additional weight. It’s great for testing loads, but poi must be checked holding like you will shoot when hunting. Heavy recoiling rounds will shoot higher 1-2” higher when held lightly. Also Remington pumps will not shot accurately because of where the rests contacts the forearm. Useful tools....but you have to know their limitations.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It depends what you want it for. If you just want to check zero, so as to go hunting, then even an improvised rest will do - a daypack with a rolled-up jacket or blanket in it, for example. In fact IMHO you're actually better off with something like this for zeroing, holding the rifle as you would in the field for a longer shot, as the POI shooting from a benchrest is quite apt not to be the same, especially if you sit the rifle directly on the rest and let it recoil freely, and perhaps even more so by a Lead Sled.

You might also benefit from a bit of practice without the rest, using different shooting positions, as five years without shooting will almost certainly have taken the edge off. There may even be competitions available to you to sharpen up. Here in Oz for example we have service rifle and field rifle competitions, which use different positions and timed exposures and so on, which are a good way to become and stay sharp if you aren't getting enough shooting in the field.

If you want to check different loads for accuracy, then a front rest such as the Caldwell, with a rabbit ear rear bag, would be my choice. I am not a fan of the Lead Sled, as I think it is very hard on rifles from what I've seen. Rifles are designed such that the recoil is taken by the shooter, moving with the rifle, not for the recoil to be stopped by a more or less immovable rest. If the recoil is an issue you could use a bag of lead shot, about the size of a housebrick, between you and the rifle - the effect is to dampen and spread the recoil, without overstressing the stock. You could buy these at one time, and they may still be around, or you could improvise one easily enough.

Finally, if you want to compete in benchrest, then have a look at the rules and at what the competitors are using.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Being in the rest top business I have several brands of bases. My favorite and is reasonable is the Bald Eagle from Grizzly Machine. I much prefer the Protecktor bags.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use a Sinclair rest with Protektor, and Protektor bunny ears behind.

I used to think that rifle breakage from lead sled usage was just internet folklore until I witnessed a fella's rifle stock crack through the wrist one day at the range when using one. Admittedly it was a wisp of a thing and a .30-06 to boot, and I couldn't help but think that the grain flow through the wrist was wrong, but he assured me he had used the gun hard for many years without a hint of trouble until that day when he set it up in that brand new lead sled.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Lead Sled I got back in 2009 when I got my .375 Wby. I sued it once, but quickly realized that there are better, easier solutions to tame recoil at the bench. It's been sitting in my garage for about 12 years.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
As I mentioned in my original post on this topic, YMMV. The OP’s thread topic addressed the lead sled. I’d have a hard time quantifying the number of rifles with which I’ve employed my lead sled to zero scopes and develop loads with the ultimate purpose of killing critters from near to far.

I think I have something like XX rifles at present, and can’t remember how many others have followed someone else home since I began employing said Lead Sled.

A few……

IIRC I started employing a lead sled circa 2006. I've yet to have a problem with a rifle-stock.

BTW,

The lead sled also makes an excellent "cleaning cradle"

As to point of impact shifting, I rarely shoot past 200 yds, but have yet to notice an occurrence of that.

ear-holed @+/- 175 paces, 30-06, 180 Gr, Cor-lokts, zero'd off the bench with my lead sled.

Of course I've heard it said that is is better to be lucky than good!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm with geedubya as far as the Lead Sled goes, on both counts, zeroing rifles/slugguns and as a cleaning mechanism. Been using mine for both purposes also since around 2006.

However, I don't use any weight on the sled. The sled weighs 17 pounds. I use it on a smooth surface table when sighting in so in essence I am adding 17 pounds to the weight of any gun I sight in as it recoils into my shoulder at the back of the sled. My son and I can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day long in a t-shirt and the recoil is negligible.

I'm sure I haven't sighted in as many guns on mine as GWB has, but we've put quite a few rounds through rifles up to .300 Winchester magnum and a lot of 12 gauge slugguns and have never had any kind of issue with a stock cracking or breaking.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.