Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hookeye
As with anything, buy low and sell high.

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the years 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Except we don’t have the ability to order from the distributors to cut out the middle man like the LGS does. Anyone can buy a stock or gold, ammo has a middle man (or two) that gets his cut. I wouldn’t sell mine for the going rate because I can’t replace it at reasonable cost. I’m not in the position to sell but I have enough to shoot at normal levels for a year or two. My range trips are limited now and I m mindful of how much i shoot when there because I don’t know when this shortage will end and I don’t want to be in the position of many others who don’t have and must pay the piper.

Have a buddy who recently bought an AR and gets upset when I joke that the selling price for my ammonia the going rate. If SHTF I would give him a fair share at no cost but I have 2 boys in my family and I have to supply them to practice as well. What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rwa3006
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.

Interesting and thanks for posting. Would you say that as a manufacturer, component availability is tough because of the shutdowns (in addition to the demand) or do you think those supply channels have opened back up or close to back up to pre virus levels?

Your observation about current prices in big box and local gun stores is consistent with what I've seen too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

That's it in a nutshell.

Like I said, I told people I know and family more than a year ago they needed to be buying ammo.

Many of the same have shown up asking for ammo, because they didn't.

I usually give them something, but not much.

If they want more they can get on GB and pay the going rate for their ignorance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Even though I have plenty of ammo, I'm miserly with it.

Instead to hunting hogs with top shelf premium ammo, I use reliable, acceptably accurate cheap bulk ammo. NO FMJ's. It's hunting.... Not paper punching or tin can rattling. Even a hog deserves a clean death.

Caught myself finishing off a hog the other night with my 1911 loaded with 230gr HydroShoks... Ummm.... Nope. Switched those out to ball ammo for that purpose. Cheaper and I have more of them.

Practice with a 22.

Leave the centerfire cartridges where they are. Sparing use the .22lr ammo too, but not at the expense of not practicing or having fun.

In these times, be wise with what you shoot, and how you shoot it.

Yep. I'm well stockpiled, but still don't shoot much during current times, other than black powder (mainly cap and ball revolvers) and .22 rimfire. Only rarely do I now shoot, e.g., .45 (Colt or ACP), 5.56, or 9mm. The latter are just rare treats, now, even though I have lots of it.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

That's it in a nutshell.

Like I said, I told people I know and family more than a year ago they needed to be buying ammo.

Many of the same have shown up asking for ammo, because they didn't.

I usually give them something, but not much.

If they want more they can get on GB and pay the going rate for their ignorance.

Yep.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stove has to be hot before you’re convinced not to touch it again.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The real question is will it return to "normal" or is this the new normal?

I'm sufficiently stocked up. But I'm hesitant to use any of it-because replacing it may cost me a fortune.

I have enough to hunt and stay practiced enough to hunt. But can't just go shoot recreationally like before.

-Jake

I'm pretty confident we'll never get back to even close to the normal we knew several years ago. In our business we are trying to forecast our component needs out for at least a year so we can assure we are still in business. That represents around 50 million rounds of ammo for our little operation. It's a big risk for us because availability is fickle, plus the stroke of a politicians pen could put us out of business in this current political climate.

The OEM component sources are gambling also. You can bet it's seriously discussed at every staff meeting if it will pay off to expand manufacturing facilities or not. The most obvious safe path is to run current equipment around the clock and do the best you can with what you have.

The changing from the Trump administration to the Biden fiasco has put the fear of God into ammo manufacturers for facility expansion and who can blame them? Every day we agonize over questions of expanding our business and if we will even be able to stay in business due to politics. Because of this we have increased our profit margins a little bit to cushion us from the increased risk we have now days. This contributes a bit to increased ammo price points among our peers, but I wouldn't call it gouging.

It might be a good time to go into business making innovative dry fire equipment.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Offer me $250 a brick and I'll sell all but one of each size.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know this has been discussed before but from someone who actually has to purchase from suppliers, has your price for loaded ammo really gone up 2.5-3X? That appears to be what is reflected locally and online. Big retailers seem to be holding prices and I can't imagine them losing money intentionally. I don't know enough about the ordering to have a valid opinion but it does appear some online vendors and local shops are gouging to take advantage of the situation we are in. Maybe it's the best way to slow down demand while supply catches back up?

Luckily I reload, but still wish I had several thousand more primers on hand. I'm likely stocked up for over a year at the rate I shoot for small rifle and pistol, longer than that for large rifle. I would like to get back to $0.30/rd ammo on .223 so I can just buy it instead of having to load to shoot.

Maybe you could name some of these "Big Retailers" that have kept their prices down so some of your fellow shooters can get some reasonably priced ammo, I am seeing either rising prices or empty shelves, usually both.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This was posted by a local gun shop. FWIW Last time I was in that shop he had the 9mm priced at $17.99/box one box limit and this was probably 3 weeks ago.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Bperdue21; 02/12/21.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
fortunately I bought primers, 22 & 9mm ammo before the pricing insanity began. No $100 primers, .22's or 9mm for me, thank you so much.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

I'm sufficiently stocked up. But I'm hesitant to use any of it-because replacing it may cost me a fortune.

I have enough to hunt and stay practiced enough to hunt. But can't just go shoot recreationally like before.

-Jake

I'm pretty confident we'll never get back to even close to the normal we knew several years ago. In our business we are trying to forecast our component needs out for at least a year so we can assure we are still in business. That represents around 50 million rounds of ammo for our little operation. It's a big risk for us because availability is fickle, plus the stroke of a politicians pen could put us out of business in this current political climate.

The OEM component sources are gambling also. You can bet it's seriously discussed at every staff meeting if it will pay off to expand manufacturing facilities or not. The most obvious safe path is to run current equipment around the clock and do the best you can with what you have.

The changing from the Trump administration to the Biden fiasco has put the fear of God into ammo manufacturers for facility expansion and who can blame them? Every day we agonize over questions of expanding our business and if we will even be able to stay in business due to politics. Because of this we have increased our profit margins a little bit to cushion us from the increased risk we have now days. This contributes a bit to increased ammo price points among our peers, but I wouldn't call it gouging.

It might be a good time to go into business making innovative dry fire equipment.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I can understand some inflation to cushion yourself in this climate, any smart businessman would do the same. I was mainly interested in the price discrepancy between large retailers and some of the LGS. A couple of the LGS seem to be content with selling whatever comes in at a reasonable rate, say 25% markup. Others are running on 200-300% markup. Those will be the ones I look at last when and if times get better

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
I know this has been discussed before but from someone who actually has to purchase from suppliers, has your price for loaded ammo really gone up 2.5-3X? That appears to be what is reflected locally and online. Big retailers seem to be holding prices and I can't imagine them losing money intentionally. I don't know enough about the ordering to have a valid opinion but it does appear some online vendors and local shops are gouging to take advantage of the situation we are in. Maybe it's the best way to slow down demand while supply catches back up?

Luckily I reload, but still wish I had several thousand more primers on hand. I'm likely stocked up for over a year at the rate I shoot for small rifle and pistol, longer than that for large rifle. I would like to get back to $0.30/rd ammo on .223 so I can just buy it instead of having to load to shoot.

Maybe you could name some of these "Big Retailers" that have kept their prices down so some of your fellow shooters can get some reasonably priced ammo, I am seeing either rising prices or empty shelves, usually both.

Kaiser Norton

Academy, Cabelas, Scheels, Rogers Sporting Goods

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by copperking81
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.

Interesting and thanks for posting. Would you say that as a manufacturer, component availability is tough because of the shutdowns (in addition to the demand) or do you think those supply channels have opened back up or close to back up to pre virus levels?

Your observation about current prices in big box and local gun stores is consistent with what I've seen too.

To the best of my knowledge the OEM folks have not been hindered too badly by covid. What's really putting the hurt on us is primer demand versus availability. You need to understand that there are only two OEM sources of primers. Two. All the other ammo manufacturers get their primers from these two sources. Period. I happen to know that these two outfits are importing tremendous quantities of primers from Russia to help fill the void, but it's still tough. If Russia hadn't had the foresight to privatize some of their ammo entities in order to get around import laws we would be in a far worse mess than we are now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
As with anything, buy low and sell high.

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the years 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Except we don’t have the ability to order from the distributors to cut out the middle man like the LGS does. Anyone can buy a stock or gold, ammo has a middle man (or two) that gets his cut. I wouldn’t sell mine for the going rate because I can’t replace it at reasonable cost. I’m not in the position to sell but I have enough to shoot at normal levels for a year or two. My range trips are limited now and I m mindful of how much i shoot when there because I don’t know when this shortage will end and I don’t want to be in the position of many others who don’t have and must pay the piper.

Have a buddy who recently bought an AR and gets upset when I joke that the selling price for my ammonia the going rate. If SHTF I would give him a fair share at no cost but I have 2 boys in my family and I have to supply them to practice as well. What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

anyone can buy in bulk. You just have to make the effort. Wholesalers often have retail setups and if you want 20 rounds you pay. If you want a pallet you get a much better deal...

Anyone lately buying primers they use many of thats not been buying by the case instead of the brick or 1000 is nuts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

-Jake

Dry fire reactive stuff has been out there for years and years...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash't to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

I saw a gun shop bidding and buying bulk ammo the other day. He was scarfing bulk ammo up.

I have no doubt he'll break open the cases and sell 20 round boxes much higher.

Really don't have a big problem with that, mostly because if he didn't have a market, he wouldn't be doing it.

You can't really impress on people that they need to stock up when prices are low, and ammo is flowing like a river...

You can say it over and over, and people just don't listen. History doesn't teach those type anything.

Those types that DON'T stock up are the same ones squealing like a pig under a gate when they are out or low on ammo. whistle

Just went to a match. Talked to some old friends. They are 2-3 years ahead on supplies and ammo as they should be.

For us, for the most part, IE normal shooting, you don't need to shoot all the time. Once you know how, you know how. Winning matches is different.

That said once we quit matches I rarely ever shoot other than the check sights. Anything else is a waste of ammo.

I get it that some just like to plink. If you didn't see this coming like the huge freight train with big headlights, then you just can't shoot. You need to learn to dry fire. Holding exercises. Shoot rimfire. If that. Pellet guns are SUPER trainers. Though I hear pellets and bbs are getting tough too.

There are ways around this.

And you can even shoot hogs in the head with FMJ. grins. I'd not hesitate a second to shoot a hog with a mag full of FMJ if thats what I had. Just have to use CNS shots.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The hoarding mentality takes over.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
How dare a LGS make a profit... it's not like they have to pay the rent or employees... or the electric bill.

I think the biden Administration should create a ammo price gouging task force.... and charge 100% tax on all ammo to pay for the task force (and other Democrat nirvana pet projects) and carefully regulate the price so that no one is being gouged.

GOVERNMENT TO THE RESCUE!!!

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/12/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Primers are going for up to $50.00 a sleeve of 100 on Gunbroker.

There is my struggle with all of this. I'm hypocritical if I fault someone getting $50 per hundred because I believe in capitalism but I do have my personal line in the sand. Just an example - last week I picked up Federal LR primers for $3.99 per hundred. Granted a limit of 300 per day and figure they didn't last long but the normal prices are out there if you watch or like me in the right place at the right time. FYI - I got those at Scheels in the Dallas area.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.