Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Feb. 13, 2021, 2:51 PM CST
By Dareh Gregorian

The Senate on Saturday voted to acquit former President Donald Trump on a charge of incitement of insurrection largely along party lines, bringing an end to the fourth impeachment trial in U.S. history and the second for Trump.

Only 7 Republicans voted to convict Trump for allegedly inciting the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, when a mob of pro-Trump supporters tried to disrupt the electoral vote count formalizing Joe Biden's election win before a joint session of Congress. The final vote was 57 to 43, far short of the 67 votes needed to secure a conviction.

Republican Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania all voted guilty.

The vote means the Senate cannot bar Trump from holding future federal offices.

With control of the Senate split 50-50, the House managers always had an uphill battle when it came to convincing enough Republicans to cross party lines and convict a former president who is still very popular with a large part of the GOP base.

In his closing argument, House manager Joe Neguse, D-Colo., argued, "The stakes could not be higher. Because the cold, hard truth is that what happened on January 6 can happen again. I fear, like many of you do, that the violence we saw on that terrible day may be just the beginning."

Lead impeachment manager Jamie Raskin, D-Md., urged the senators to think of the future.

"Senators, this trial, in the final analysis, is not about Donald Trump. The country and the world know who Donald Trump is. This trial is about who we are, who we are," Raskin said.

Trump lawyer Michael van der Veen, meanwhile, insisted his client did nothing wrong and maintained he was the victim of vengeful Democrats and a biased news media. He called the impeachment proceedings a "charade from beginning to end."

The managers' task became more difficult Saturday when Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announced in an email to his colleagues that he would vote to acquit since Trump was already out of office.

"While a close call, I am persuaded that impeachments are a tool primarily of removal and we therefore lack jurisdiction," the influential Kentucky Republican wrote in the email, which was obtained by NBC News.

McConnell, who'd rebuffed Democratic efforts to start the trial while Trump was still in office, had condemned Trump's conduct after the riot and said he'd keep an open mind about voting to convict — something he'd ruled out entirely during Trump's first impeachment trial last year.

McConnell suggested in the email that Trump could still face other penalties.

"The Constitution makes perfectly clear that Presidential criminal misconduct while in office can be prosecuted after the President has left office, which in my view alleviates the otherwise troubling 'January exception' argument raised by the House," he wrote.

Opening arguments began on Wednesday, with House managers blaming the riot on Trump's months-long campaign to cast doubt on the 2020 election, and his repeated assertions that the only way he would lose was if the election was "stolen." They focused on his fiery speech on the morning of the Jan. 6 riot, where he urged his supporters to "fight like hell" — and his refusal to take action after they did.

Trump declined a request from managers to testify at the trial, and refused to even submit a statement for it, facts Raskin urged senators to keep in mind on Saturday.

"I ask any of you, if you were charged with inciting violent insurrection against our country, and you're falsely accused, would you come and testify? I know I would," Raskin said.

The trial was the fourth of an impeached president. No president has ever been convicted.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
MAGAA!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What did we pay for that dog and pony show?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
MAGAA!

Don’t blow a gasket . Easy fella

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We've got work to do. Every one of those jackasses that voted to convict are traitors and should be tried for treason.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They interrupted Pebble Beach for this stupid fugking schit.

All they kept saying was that at no time did Trump's defense team state that there was election fraud. LOL

Methinks they doth protest too much.

Pathetic.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder how much crap is going to burn tonight?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainshot
We've got work to do. Every one of those jackasses that voted to convict are traitors and should be tried for treason.

Hope it works out that way!

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MAGAA!

Yep!!!

The Talking Heads at ABC are having a mental midget meltdown.

“Trump Bad” “We’re Afraid”

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A trial that should have never happened!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trump’s attorney’s destroyed their illegal impeachment in his closing arguments.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
MAGAA!

Yep!!!

The Talking Heads at ABC are having a mental midget meltdown.

“Trump Bad” “We’re Afraid”

All this after they "won."

Fugking pathetic.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Undisputed impeachment champion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Trump’s attorney’s destroyed their illegal impeachment in his closing arguments.
He also made a mockery of their evidence yesterday.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Undisputed impeachment champion.
lol

For real. Impeached twice. Acquitted twice.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In his closing argument, House manager Joe Neguse, D-Colo., argued, "The stakes could not be higher. Because the cold, hard truth is that what happened on January 6 can happen again. I fear, like many of you do, that the violence we saw on that terrible day may be just the beginning."

Well, if you idiots keep it up it is just the beginning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mitt is no more GOP than I am DEM.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rainshot

Put that flaming pile of dog schit Mitt Romney on the top of the list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Well, if you idiots keep it up it is just the beginning.

Fact.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.