Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bought my son a M70 in 7mm-08 when he was 13. He is 14 and many months now and loves that rifle. He shoots 100 yard sub moa now on rest and off hand at our club. The selection of bullets and factory loads available for the 7mm-08 before this ammo shortage was extensive. He's very confident in the caliber. Shot his first deer that dropped right there last season. I don't think he has interest in going with anything larger and believes that rifle is capable of anything that we would ever hunt for.

He would like to go the opposite direction and recently asked if we could put together a plan to get him a smaller caliber to shoot.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was old enough to buy my first deer rifle, I knew that it just had to be a .30-06 because that is what everybody else that I knew was using. Then as I got older and smarter I realized that a .308 had about 20% less recoil in the same weight rifle and honestly the deer that I shot with either one acted pretty much the same way. I've graduated into using other cartridges and a current favorite is the 7mm-08, but when my son bought a bolt action .308, I couldn't really fault that for a one size fits all.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got all my son-in-laws rifles as wedding presents. Two got 30-06, the other wanted and got a 7mm RM.

in spite of its age, it is hard to beat a 30-06 for an all-around big game rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
For me, I’d go 338 Win mag. With lighter bullets recoil isn’t bad. A 30-06 would be a great choice too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The quickest way to get someone into shooting is by not parking them behind something like a 30'06... I suffered a 30'06 for years and finally realized it brought nothing to the table. Kicks the crap out of you for no reason. A lot more fun shooting medium cartridges, especially for deer. My go to gun now is a 6.5×55, and bought my son a 6.5 Creed. Flame away...

This. I have a Stevens bolt action .22, a Ruger 10/22 and I have a compact Ruger American in .223. I will start the grand kids off on these rifles and then we will move up to something bigger. I have seen too many times someone as a bad joke hands a beginner something in 12 gauge or 30-06 and they leave the range disgusted. When the time is right we will move up to the M1 Garands and 30-06 bolt actions after we shoot the 7x57 and .308's.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a .280 enthusiast, but a 7mm-08 would be hard to beat. Right in the middle of a ton of cartridges that can gitter done.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The quickest way to get someone into shooting is by not parking them behind something like a 30'06... I suffered a 30'06 for years and finally realized it brought nothing to the table. Kicks the crap out of you for no reason. A lot more fun shooting medium cartridges, especially for deer. My go to gun now is a 6.5×55, and bought my son a 6.5 Creed. Flame away...

Amen!!!

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Seems like if he wants another rifle, a FW in .308 could be a good place. Big enough for anything short of big bears, same action and ergonomics of current rifle, and wide selection of loads available.

Or, him being a hunter rather than a gun nut, perhaps a good shotgun for things a rifle won’t work for. For a hunter, the Remington 870 Magnum is where it’s at. Squirrels to Turkeys, waterfowl, and called coyotes. Slugs for deer in states where his Roberts is verboten. I could take an 870 and kill anything in the lower 48 graveyard dead. If you hunt, it works.

Do you guys hunt birds, or anything but deer and pronghorn? That is pertinent info. Those two, the Roberts is tops for. Upland birds, not so much. He likes to hunt, maybe trying out other types of hunting might be of more value to him. Like upland birds or waterfowl. maybe predator hunting. Just a thought. Seems like a gun is simply a tool to him, the hunt matters more. You like guns. He likes hunting. Maybe give him what he likes, buy yourself what you like. Or, as previously stated, ask him what he wants. Not what caliber new rifle he wants, more like what kind of hunting he wants to do, or what he most would like to do with you. It could be time rather than things, he wants. A hunting trip, or something else. Look to make a memory, not just an heirloom.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 02/15/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dang, what a complicated thread to answer.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP. Another vote to ask your son. You never know what might interest him.

My son is an AR / 870 / 1911 kinda guy. Has nothing of his own that is wood/blue. However, last year when I mentioned that I was selling rifles to cover medical bills, his first question was "What about the old left handed Mauser?" So... the LH PO Ackley 7x57 became his 29th birthday / E6 promotion present. Along with a copy of the Frank DeHaas book to provide provenance regarding the LH Ackley Mausers. I lucked out. He is PCS'ing to a new assignment and chose not to take it with him. I get to tinker and hunt with it a while longer...

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I first gave my son a rifle of mine for his 12th birthday....I told him he could have any rifle he wanted....

he went and asked some of his buddies and came back and told me he wanted a 30/06....

I gave him a choice, him handling what he wanted.. and he picked a Synthetic Stocked Browning A Bolt, first Gen...

Let him shoot factory ammo.. he thought it kicked too much...

I loaded up 30 grains of 4198, and a 125 gr Ballistic Tip..... he loved that...

At 14, I moved him up to the 150 Ballistic Tip, left the powder at 30 grains of 4198....that was when he was 14, and now at 26 he still shoots the same load
and I load either the 150 Ballistic Tips, or the Speer 150 gr FN.... both work... scope on top is an older Tasco 2 x 7 World Class..nothing fancy, but it works..
and that is the part he likes....

The combo is oblivious to rough terrain or bad weather...

I've offered him 243s, 260s, 7/08, 7 x 57... nope he's happy with that 30/06 loaded to a 300 Savage equivalent....

Did the same thing for a friends son, when he turned 12....gave him a Howa 30/06, and loaded it with 30 grains 4198, and a 165 grain Ballistic Tip...

now he is a 30 yr old Iraqi War Vet, and Montana State trooper.. he still hunts with that rifle and that load...

each year, gets his antelope, a deer or two, and an Elk every couple of years or so...

he doesn't want to change a thing....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Different strokes but I'm firmly in the camp of let-the-lad-choose.
And if I was insistent to choose for him, I'd be darned sure it's a rifle that I like - that way it's guaranteed to see some use. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by GeoW
TWhy not let him know there's a rifle of his choice waiting if/when he wants to get serious about hunting?

Then let him get on with his life?

g

Seriously, if he's bored with the one cool bolt rifle he owns, I would consider getting him an accurate semi-auto. That might light his fire in becoming more interested in rifles or not. But getting him another bolt gun that won't do anything that the one he already has will do, probably will get a yawn from him. Maybe get him some short-range compact big-bore or handgun cartridge lever action. I personally wouldn't ask him what he wants. Surprise is much of the benefit of getting a good gift.

Thou project too much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Different strokes but I'm firmly in the camp of let-the-lad-choose.
And if I was insistent to choose for him, I'd be darned sure it's a rifle that I like - that way it's guaranteed to see some use. wink

Thou project too much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I know there have been countless threads on here regarding what folks would get if they were looking for one do it all rifle. I sort of did the one rifle thing for years out of necessity (poverty) and got along nicely with a Ruger Mk II in .30/06. I love that rifle, still use it, and it will be my last rifle to leave if I have to part with some. My question, however, is what to buy for my son. He has for several seasons shot a Winchester FW Classic in .257 Roberts and has had good success on whitetails. We are hoping to add pronghorn this fall. He enjoys hunting but is simply not as into rifles like I am (yes, I bought the Roberts because it is pretty and I think it is cool - he never gives that a thought). Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting. He is a teenager now and big enough that I don’t worry about recoil and am thinking it is time to buy him a “bigger” rifle. I am thinking about his “do it all” rifle. Sure, he will have access to stuff in my safe, but a man needs his own rifle(s).

I am very partial to my old Ruger and have thought about finding him one of those. I also have considered another Winchester FW so he will basically have a set. Sometimes I think the smarter choice would be something stainless and synthetic. I have pretty much decided .30/06 is the way to go. I know there are plenty of great all around cartridges, but for a multi-purpose big game rifle that is likely to see lots of factory ammo, I think the old /06 is hard to beat.

So, I have plenty of time on this. I am thinking this rifle will be for Christmas next year and I plan to take my time looking. I am, however, trying to think this through before I start looking. I am curious what the folks on The Fire think. Ruger, Winchester, wood, synthetic . . . what would you be looking for?

I'd apply whatever you have in my mind for a budget,to a GOOD 22LR and wouldn't be afeared to buy used Goods Of Repute,to align bang for a buck. Conjoin same,with a scope that will reliably arrange POA/POI intersections and everybody learns something if only by fhuqking "accident". Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy these Drooling Fhuqktards attempts at "sense",as they overlook the obvious and challenge each other in a DUMB Fhuqk Tournament and swing for the fence with crossed-eyes. Their hearts are REALLY in it too! Hint. LAUGHING!

An '06 is simply about the most STUPID notion going. ACTUAL trigger time,connects dots by literal default and them benefits never wane and are applicable to EVERY chambering/projectile. One doesn't get good,by reading about it or wishing it. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few more things to think about. To clarify a few things that I didn’t cover, or maybe didn’t state clearly in my original post. He loves to hunt. We hunt deer, turkey, small game and occasionally waterfowl. I am trying to expose him to lots of different types of outdoor activities and let him decide what he likes. So far, his favorites are deer hunting and fish catching. He doesn’t love the slow fishing day so much!

I will definitely see if he has any preferences before I make a final decision. We have plenty of time to shop. I just want to have something bigger before we go after elk, and I do hope to get him out west after elk at some point. Let me just say here that I know the .257 Roberts will do a lot. I have one myself and love the cartridge. I would shoot the biggest elk that ever lived in the ribs with one and expect a dead elk. However, we don’t get to hunt any big game other than deer very often and I would choose something bigger. That’s just me. I respect those who do it differently. I will say I am surprised to get that advice, this is the place I expect to hear, “Yes, buy a new rifle and you really need two!” LOL!

Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns.

Lastly, I appreciate the comments about recoil. I have been extremely careful in that regard and we have worked up slowly. We started with a .22 then a .222. I even started with 80 grain bullets and a modest load for the Roberts. He killed his first turkey with a 20. Graduated to a 12 when he laid claim to one of mine, but shot 2 3/4” shells. He shoots 3” and 3 1/2” waterfowl and turkey loads as well as rifles other than my .222 and the Roberts now so I’m not worried at this point about ruining him with a .308 or .30/06 or whatever. When we go and shoot a lot, I can load things on the mild side anyway. I already do that for me at times.

Thanks again for the input. There is a lot of experience here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Asked the same questions for my daughter who is just getting back into hunting after taking a few years off with babies, school, etc.

She had used my .308 but didn't like it much.

We bought a 6.5 Creedmore the Weatherby Women's version built on a Howa action. Camile I think

Fits her perfectly. Recoil is not a issue. I bought her 500 rounds of ammo when she got it and she has burned though 300 or so. Saving brass so I can reload them

Fit is everything. With that recoil is much less of a issue.

Lefty

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WITUfan
Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few more things to think about. To clarify a few things that I didn’t cover, or maybe didn’t state clearly in my original post. He loves to hunt. We hunt deer, turkey, small game and occasionally waterfowl. I am trying to expose him to lots of different types of outdoor activities and let him decide what he likes. So far, his favorites are deer hunting and fish catching. He doesn’t love the slow fishing day so much!

I will definitely see if he has any preferences before I make a final decision. We have plenty of time to shop. I just want to have something bigger before we go after elk, and I do hope to get him out west after elk at some point. Let me just say here that I know the .257 Roberts will do a lot. I have one myself and love the cartridge. I would shoot the biggest elk that ever lived in the ribs with one and expect a dead elk. However, we don’t get to hunt any big game other than deer very often and I would choose something bigger. That’s just me. I respect those who do it differently. I will say I am surprised to get that advice, this is the place I expect to hear, “Yes, buy a new rifle and you really need two!” LOL!

Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns.

Lastly, I appreciate the comments about recoil. I have been extremely careful in that regard and we have worked up slowly. We started with a .22 then a .222. I even started with 80 grain bullets and a modest load for the Roberts. He killed his first turkey with a 20. Graduated to a 12 when he laid claim to one of mine, but shot 2 3/4” shells. He shoots 3” and 3 1/2” waterfowl and turkey loads as well as rifles other than my .222 and the Roberts now so I’m not worried at this point about ruining him with a .308 or .30/06 or whatever. When we go and shoot a lot, I can load things on the mild side anyway. I already do that for me at times.

Thanks again for the input. There is a lot of experience here.

Sounds like you're doing it exactly right. Good on you, dad.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Asked the same questions for my daughter who is just getting back into hunting after taking a few years off with babies, school, etc.

We bought a 6.5 Creedmore the Weatherby Women's version built on a Howa action. Camile I think

Fits her perfectly. Recoil is not a issue. I bought her 500 rounds of ammo when she got it and she has burned though 300 or so. Saving brass so I can reload them

Lefty

Random question: I've read that the Camille's stock is shaped to fit a woman... but have you shouldered it? Would it also work well for a 11-12 year old boy?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Lefty

Random question: I've read that the Camille's stock is shaped to fit a woman... but have you shouldered it? Would it also work well for a 11-12 year old boy?

You might want to ask stick..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.