Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What’s the general consensus on using an older, 1980-early 90’s Rem action for a S/A build?

I have done three. A 204 Ruger, a 223AI, and a 20 Practical.

I had all three receivers squared, and slicked, to remove any binding spots. One bolt, I also had fluted just for aesthetics.

Aside from the action, everything else is higher end parts.

All rifles have excellent functionality and solid accuracy.

What’s a guy missing out on by not going with an expensive receiver?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had several, still have two...and I will never do it again. With the cost of custom actions where they are, it just doesn't make sense in any way, shape, or form.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have had several, still have two...and I will never do it again. With the cost of custom actions where they are, it just doesn't make sense in any way, shape, or form.

My comprehension is slow today...Sorry

Do you mean, it’s better to go full custom receiver?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

How much you paying for your Remington’s?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last couple I have $400 in them or so for a complete 700..and when you can buy a Zermatt Origin for $800 with all the benefits you get...the cost savings quickly pales.

I like my 700s, but by the time you throw enough cash at them to get them close to where a basic Zermatt is, you've spent more money.

Last edited by liliysdad; 02/17/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Copy....Thanks!

I had a couple 700 actions on hand, bought one 80’s era nib for $350

I see what you mean...$400 is short money, if the improvements are vast over a 700.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I see no reason to "true" one, so that extra $400 for a "custom" is lost on me......

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It somewhat comes down to what your needs are as well. Do you need a side bolt release, trigger hanger, etc... most 700 actions will need some work and if found at a reasonable cost, can make sense on the right build.

I still have 2 Rem 700s that are really nice and worked over. But I do think something like the new Mack Bros SS action for $575 is going to be hard to beat for the money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I kinda just turned new leaf over myself. I’m a M70 guy, can’t help it and can’t make excuses but by the time you get a receiver from a used gun for 500-750 bucks, pay a good Smith to do all of the tricks to them to make them a bit lighter, smoother and straight you’re into custom action land. I don’t sell much so that’s an afterthought but a Defiance with CRF, 3 Pos safety and a TriggerTech is about in the ballpark of my last 70 after all of the machining. Especially when you get into lengthening them to take a 3.8” Mag box.

Remingtons are a bit less money to start but I’d think after all of the other stuff is done you’re in the custom action realm. Just my thoughts and the good customs just seem perfect from the get go.

Functionally I have no idea if the customs are better though. Plain ol 700’s and 70’s have been doing pretty good for a couple seasons whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

I see no reason to "true" one, so that extra $400 for a "custom" is lost on me......

Obviously !

All your screw together rigs are *Piles* 😜

Whatcha got for sale these days my brother in S/A

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Agreed alff. My smith does it for a fraction of that. Last action I bought, nib from buds, ss la mag, got for $250 off a guy at work. All my others were Walmart specials, had $200-$250 in em after I boned em out.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I kinda just turned new leaf over myself. I’m a M70 guy, can’t help it and can’t make excuses but by the time you get a receiver from a used gun for 500-750 bucks, pay a good Smith to do all of the tricks to them to make them a bit lighter, smoother and straight you’re into custom action land. I don’t sell much so that’s an afterthought but a Defiance with CRF, 3 Pos safety and a TriggerTech is about in the ballpark of my last 70 after all of the machining. Especially when you get into lengthening them to take a 3.8” Mag box.

Remingtons are a bit less money to start but I’d think after all of the other stuff is done you’re in the custom action realm. Just my thoughts and the good customs just seem perfect from the get go.

Functionally I have no idea if the customs are better though. Plain ol 700’s and 70’s have been doing pretty good for a couple seasons whistle

I’m not afraid of using a M70 for a build. Especially for a dangerous game rifle, like 375 H&H

I’m still intrigued by doing a build off a Tikka action.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Obviously ! All your screw together rigs are *Piles* 😜

I have a 7-08, a 338-06 Ackley, and the 6 PRC I've thought of peddling, but I can't bring myself to do it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’m not afraid of using a M70 for a build. Especially for a dangerous game rifle, like 375 H&H

🦫

Man, I hate Tikkas. I say that in jest cause those stupid things have been so easy to load for, great triggers and pretty nice once they’re in a stock that fits me but my brain will always grab one of my 70’s first for hunting. No common sense to it but that’s what I like but the Tikkas I’ve had have been ridiculously good across the board. Smooth as silk too.

I think for certain cartridges they make a whole lot of sense to build from.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't think there is a single thing wrong with a 700 action, and I do agree that truing them is typically not needed. That being said, the more 700s I've built, the more things I find I want to change about them, to the point a custom just makes more sense....for me.

The Mack Bros action is very intriguing, but I've yet to see one in the flesh. I think the CVA Cascade could could a very interesting action to build off of, but I am unsure of bottom metal compatibility.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't think there is a single thing wrong with a 700 action, and I do agree that truing them is typically not needed. That being said, the more 700s I've built, the more things I find I want to change about them, to the point a custom just makes more sense....for me.

The Mack Bros action is very intriguing, but I've yet to see one in the flesh. I think the CVA Cascade could could a very interesting action to build off of, but I am unsure of bottom metal compatibility.

I did a sweet build in 6.5 PRC off a Mack Bros TI action. No complaints whatsoever. It’s a favorite, but, admittedly it’s paired with a Proof tube and dbm metal, putting it in the mid 7lb weight class.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

🦫

Man, I hate Tikkas. I say that in jest cause those stupid things have been so easy to load for, great triggers and pretty nice once they’re in a stock that fits me but my brain will always grab one of my 70’s first for hunting. No common sense to it but that’s what I like but the Tikkas I’ve had have been ridiculously good across the board. Smooth as silk too.

Laffin...I understand.

It’s also difficult to trash the OEM tube on a Tikka when it’s a minute of a fly’s whickers.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Obviously ! All your screw together rigs are *Piles* 😜

I have a 7-08, a 338-06 Ackley, and the 6 PRC I've thought of peddling, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I like the 7-08 chambering.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

🦫

Laffin...I understand.

It’s also difficult to trash the OEM tube on a Tikka when it’s a minute of a fly’s whickers.

😬🦫

Yeah, so I’ve been selling em! Just taking the temptation right out of it.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
just not cost effective anymore with all the customs made today.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.