Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ruger does have mag problems. I have an American 30-06. They sent me 3 new mags before I got one that will load reliably. The cartridges hang up and won't feed to the top.

The pistol I had years ago used Italian-made magazines. They were very good quality and functioned flawlessly. I heard Ruger QC is bad now. Someone on Handguns sub-froum said they bought three or four handguns and they all had to be shipped back for service.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
Ruger does have mag problems. I have an American 30-06. They sent me 3 new mags before I got one that will load reliably. The cartridges hang up and won't feed to the top.

The pistol I had years ago used Italian-made magazines. They were very good quality and functioned flawlessly. I heard Ruger QC is bad now. Someone on Handguns sub-froum said they bought three or four handguns and they all had to be shipped back for service.

Ruger QC was seriously lacking prior to COVID. I have a hunch COVID will usher in a wave of abhorrent QC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Slavek

Ruger QC was seriously lacking prior to COVID. I have a hunch COVID will usher in a wave of abhorrent QC.

Lack of quality control (whether Ruger's or anyone else's) has nothing to do with a virus and everything to do with someone not giving a schidt.

Last edited by night_owl; 02/17/21.

abusus non tollit usum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
might i suggest archery

My diploma is a DD214
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by night_owl

Lack of quality control (whether Ruger's or anyone else's) has nothing to do with a virus and everything to do with someone not giving a schidt.
Ain't that the truth. Look how many guns are released where the first buyers are the testers. In the old days, the occasional bad apple got out the door but now the manufacturers have people conditioned that it's normal and as long as they make it good the second or third time, everything is good.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep, small 22 autos can be very problematic, but the bigger ones can be chit as well with chit ammo. I quit using Wildcats, Thunderbolts & Lightings decades ago.. Gonna have to be in dire straights to use it again.

A little Iver Johnson TP 22 impressed the heck out of me with reliable function & was good with more than 2 or 3 brands. So handy that when I found another I bought it for a backup. Both have taken their share of pot meat.
Funny the high dollar Walther TPH they copied is finicky, or mine was. Noticed I said was.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
now the manufacturers have people conditioned that it's normal and as long as they make it good the second or third time, everything is good.

Same with boats and RVs. Pisses me straight off. The gear of my other two passtimes, fishing tackle and bicycles, don't suffer the same problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by tzone
Quit buying schit cheap ass guns.

What dollar threshold do you recommend?
If you're buying one from me, there's no upper limit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Ain't that the truth. Look how many guns are released where the first buyers are the testers. In the old days, the occasional bad apple got out the door but now the manufacturers have people conditioned that it's normal and as long as they make it good the second or third time, everything is good.

Agree. In the last eight years, I can think of eight guns that had to go back for work. One went back twice and was replaced. Three were recalls and five were for other issues. I also have one more that needs to go back, and one more I should consider sending back. In the twenty+ years before that, I can only think of four that needed to be sent back, and one of those probably was the result of an ammo problem.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by cra1948
Has anyone ever personally seen any small frame 22 LR auto that was remotely close to being perfectly reliable?

Yeah- I have a Walther P-22 that I bought quite some time ago...I think it was around when they first hit the market. I only got it as a plinker and fed it a steady diet of bulk pack .22 lr, mostly Federal, but a lot of Winchester as well. Sometimes when the grandkids were out at the farm we’d run through several hundred rounds as fast as I could load mags...that pistol would get hot. I kept expecting it quit, but I never got any failures except the occasional dud you expect in bulk.22 ammo. After a while it became a game with me, I figured I’d run it until I got feed, battery or ejection failure, then clean it and start over. The kids got older, life changed, it sat idle for a number of years. I took it to the range recently...it still chugs along although I think the slide returns to battery a little slower. Maybe I’ll clean it up. I recently went through all my pistols and revolvers and made sure all were clean and lubed except that one. I don’t want to jinx it though.

That's not a small frame .22 auto.

I think it is. The only thing I've got smaller is my Beretta 21 and I consider that tiny frame.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone ever personally seen any small frame 22 LR auto that was remotely close to being perfectly reliable?

I have one and probably the cheapest one ever made. Years ago I bought a Jennings that the guy said was broken. From my selling a ton of these and the Raven 25ACP counterparts of the same design I knew the problem. Guy had taken it apart, then he put it back together with the firing pin in backwards. After giving him $20.00 for the gun I took it apart, re-assembled it the right way and popped off a couple of rounds.

Seeing it now worked, guy wanted it back. Being a decent other-guy, I gave it back. He shot it again, and the second round fed straight up, catherdraled. He then said it was defective, and I bought it for $10.00. I took the magazine out and pinched the ears a little, then popped off six straight and kept the gun.

I've shot over a brick's count of every kind of 22 LR ammo, good to crap shells, through it without one failure. The design is so simple that tuned up (magazine lips) and kept cleaned they work perfectly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Years ago I bought a little pistol made by Iver Johnson that was pretty much a clone of a PPK in .22 caliber.

It was extremely reliable and more accurate than you would expect.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free online image storage

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.