Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Lots of interesting discussion here. Folks have brought up a few planes which I had not become familiar with.

I was expecting you to write eloquently of the A6. Another of my favorites since reading Stephen Coonts' novel 35 years ago. Although the craft would be prohibitively expensive to maintain and fuel in civilian hands.

I was trying to keep it focused on cold war and transonic so the F-11F Tiger, barely supersonic in a shallow dive, filled that bill. As well, I had a professor at Navy PG school that flew them and he said it was a dream to fly with balanced controls, great visibility and pretty much no faults other than very short legs.

Coont's book, Flight of the Intruder, came out when I was in college and right after I had been accepted to AOCS so that clearly made me focus on it as where I wanted to go as an NFO. It was all going that way through flight school and I ended up in the right track as a Tactical Nav then came winging day. #1 guy got his first choice, Intruders in Oceana and the rest of us (13) got sent to Prowlers to fill a class at Whidbey (via three months at Corry station for basic EW training). Turned out to be a great platform and career but one can never say the Prowler was great flying airplane. The nose extension for two more crew for the mission as well as the ALQ-99 pods and such made it a nasty beast to bring aboard the ship (the Tomcat was perhaps worse) and if you flew it to the edge of it's envelope, especially high AoA los speed, it would bite. We lost a lot of them, almost half that were built, in various mishaps.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard some years ago that a pilot (or aviator for the Navy and Marines) has a 1 in 4 chance of dying in a flight accident during a typical 20 year career. I don't know if that is correct or not but flying high performance jets is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The F-100 had an adverse yaw problem - worse on takeoff. With a swept wing, if you use aileron at low speeds, the wing with the down aileron creates more lift but also more drag, and as that wing gets pulled back, its swept angle causes it to lose lift while the other wing is advancing and getting more direct airflow, so it has more lift. The result is that if you try to roll left, the plane actually rolls right, and the more you push the stick over to "correct" that, the problem gets worse. You can actually snap roll just a few feet above the runway. And that's fatal. F-100 guys had it drummed into them to never use aileron on takeoff, only rudder.

The "Saber Dance" video happened when the pilot got too slow, pulled the nose up and immediately got "behind the power curve" where there simply isn't enough thrust to overcome the near-stalled drag. In that realm, the adverse yaw threat also appears, and you are essentially doomed from the instant you haul back on the stick. As that guy was.

About as spot on dissertation on aerodynamics I've ever read here and spot on the F-100 issues.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't believe that stat. I doubt if it's worse than 1 of 10 and would bet that 1 of 20 is probably closer to truth. Maybe it is worse for Navy and Marines, but AF guys have a better survival record. That is not due to any perceived skill level, mind you. I hasten to say that the work environment of the aviators is far more dangerous.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Lots of interesting discussion here. Folks have brought up a few planes which I had not become familiar with.

I was expecting you to write eloquently of the A6. Another of my favorites since reading Stephen Coonts' novel 35 years ago. Although the craft would be prohibitively expensive to maintain and fuel in civilian hands.

I was trying to keep it focused on cold war and transonic so the F-11F Tiger, barely supersonic in a shallow dive, filled that bill. As well, I had a professor at Navy PG school that flew them and he said it was a dream to fly with balanced controls, great visibility and pretty much no faults other than very short legs.

Coont's book, Flight of the Intruder, came out when I was in college and right after I had been accepted to AOCS so that clearly made me focus on it as where I wanted to go as an NFO. It was all going that way through flight school and I ended up in the right track as a Tactical Nav then came winging day. #1 guy got his first choice, Intruders in Oceana and the rest of us (13) got sent to Prowlers to fill a class at Whidbey (via three months at Corry station for basic EW training). Turned out to be a great platform and career but one can never say the Prowler was great flying airplane. The nose extension for two more crew for the mission as well as the ALQ-99 pods and such made it a nasty beast to bring aboard the ship (the Tomcat was perhaps worse) and if you flew it to the edge of it's envelope, especially high AoA los speed, it would bite. We lost a lot of them, almost half that were built, in various mishaps.

Thanks Pugs.
Very interesting dissertation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to remember that during WWII, the non-combat deaths among pilots (mainly training) was a very high percentage of the total pilot deaths. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of that?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I always thought it would be cool to have a 4-seat A6 to fly around. My dad's time in 'nam probably had some influence on that
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's true about WW Deuce. Training accidents were about on a par with combat losses. Many factors contributed. Aircraft and instruments were pushing the state of art for the times but were still poor - especially navigation and instruments for weather flying. Training was very rushed and students came from all walks of life, many having little exposure to complicated machines. Infrastructure was limited and thrown together. Training aircraft were actually pretty challenging to fly well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortfinger
I always thought it would be cool to have a 4-seat A6 to fly around. My dad's time in 'nam probably had some influence on that

There was - I flew the station wagon variant the EA-6B. A pic I took of my lead with two CT-33's over San Clemente.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool Canadian T-33s! The Attack Trainer (AT) 33 I flew had the longer nose and twin .50s of the F-80 plus wing hard points for bombs/rockets, and the associated wiring and a gun/bomb sight. Note the ports for the guns on the nose on this one...

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When my dad was stationed on Okinawa and spending most of his time at Cam Ranh Bay in Viet Nam I was either in Naha or Kadena AFB housing. the school I went to face the ocean and the recess yard was actually part of the beach. I saw a lot of F102's testing early air to air missiles and F4's trying to shoot target drags that looked like big wind flags with the add on 20 millimeter cannon pods. The missiles were junk in general in the mid 60's. The target drones they had back then were jet powered orange drones and so many of them survived the missile testing it was truly funny, they got a lot of miles out of them. They kept boats of various sizes to recover the spent missiles and any drones still floating out in the ocean from the school. One time an F4 cannon pod malfunctioned and the plane flew over the school while ejecting 20 millimeter cannon shells. I found three and took them home but my Dad turned me in and I had to give em back to the MP's when they came by. But at the time I thought the F102's were the coolest of them all. We had 104's and 105's on the base also.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
CF-105 Arrow
Good resale value

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

There was - I flew the station wagon variant the EA-6B. A pic I took of my lead with two CT-33's over San Clemente.

That's awesome.

I love all variants of the A-6. Super cool plane.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we want to roll into non-jets. The OV-10 Bronco would be an awesome backcountry plane that you could cover some decent distance in too @ 225 KTS

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
CF-105 Arrow
Good resale value

Wouldn't it though.

Maybe Canada never flew the Arrow. But Russia had the Mig 25 which appeared to fill the same niche.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If we want to roll into non-jets. The OV-10 Bronco would be an awesome backcountry plane that you could cover some decent distance in too @ 225 KTS

Put some floats on that baby, and we will fish the Idaho back country.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't find it but a cool pic is a couple F4s in vertical chase along side of NASA rocket.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave

That's awesome.

I love all variants of the A-6. Super cool plane.

Sure is I used to see them all the time around Carswell AFB, man that is one loud jet!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I seem to remember that during WWII, the non-combat deaths among pilots (mainly training) was a very high percentage of the total pilot deaths. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of that?

I lost a great uncle that way. While training in England he crashed into the the estate where Downton Abby was filmed.

Downton Abby plane crash

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I spent two years in VA-42 (Green Pawns) before I went to VA-85 (Black Falcons). When I saw the AB Blue Blasters one two pages back in regards to cool sleek Cold War Birds I was surprised. When I saw VA-42 I really was surprised. I liked the Kafirs that flew as the aggressor squadron at Oceana but I suspect the T-38s or something like that would be among the smarter for people to fly. The cutting edge envelope planes might best be served by those who had the REAL training.

Last edited by 007FJ; 02/18/21.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

433 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 48 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.