Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That show sure made the mid-1980's a cool time to be a cop, even a small town one. Oh, man, was I wishing I could swap my S&W 586 for a Bren 10, but no doing!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
GB4

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I got my 4506 ready.....

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JeffyD
That show sure made the mid-1980's a cool time to be a cop, even a small town one. Oh, man, was I wishing I could swap my S&W 586 for a Bren 10, but no doing!

At least the S&W worked!

I knew a guy who had a BrenTen with the box, extra mags, etc. he sold it for a pretty penny to, as he put it, “ some Miami Vice nerd”.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sonny's Model 645 was replaced with the new Smith & Wesson Model 4506, also chambered in .45 ACP. Sonny's 4506 can be seen in the beginning of the episode "Victim of Circumstance" when he is sitting in a cafe, looking at it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That little Mdl 37 was what turned me on...but I was always the shotgun man.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got my hands on a Bren 10 when they came out, except they were not shipping magazines with them. Tried for about 6 months to get a mag and never got it done. Found some guy that thought is was cool and sold it to him and bought 2 deltas.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Michael Mann had some good advisers on the crew. There was some good gun stuff here and there on the show. This draw from concealment was the real deal, smoking fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Michael Mann had some good advisers on the crew. There was some good gun stuff here and there on the show. This draw from concealment was the real deal, smoking fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ

They would get DNA off those gloves today.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Back then when the actors would just dump a mag and not hunt it up afterwards, Bren Ten guys would descend on the area looking for the mags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Miami Vice overly-dramatized minor acts that were part of a bigger play that the show ignored, insomuch as it was intended to reflect the Miami culture in the 70's and early 80's. Miami was transformed by the Medellín Cartel of which the key players were Jorge Ochoa (not Pablo Escobar) in Columbia and Griselda Blanco in Miami. There were innumerable smugglers, but they were all either working for those two or trying to rip them off. The TV show makes it seem as though there was a whole panorama of drug-related crime without any unifying factor, but in fact it was driven almost entirely by one operation. Obviously the show is fictional and did not portend to be a documentary, but it still influenced a lot of American's understanding of what Miami was like while keeping them ignorant of some important facts. One of those facts is that the United State Government was for a long time content to look the other way. The Federal agencies that were primarily responsible, the DEA, what is now called CBP, and the Coast Guard were doing nothing at all about the massive amounts of cocaine coming into Miami. It was having the effect of multi-billion dollar stimulus on the city and there was no apparent reason to intervene because it appeared that everyone was benefiting. That was until Griselda Blanco began a violent murder spree. If that woman wasn't psychotic, she certainly had no regard for human life whatsoever. She was ordering hits one after another in a near continuous string, most of which were carried out without regard for collateral damage. It was only her reckless disregard for peace and human life that forced the US Government to intervene.

If the US Government was standing idly by as a stream of billions of ~1980 USD (about 4X the value of 2021 USD) was flowing to Columbia, you can bet they had some intention. Maybe to fund a war against FARC or maybe they would repatriate it as payment for Venezuelan debt. If Blanco forced them to crack down, it's amazing how she got away with it. How she got off the hook was a stunning story.

That's some interesting history.
I heard that violent crime was very high at that time .
Maybe that Griselda gal was why?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read about her. She was hardcore man. Violent, mean bitch. Her youngest son was named Michael Corleone Blanco. For real.

lol

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Wow Ethan,

How often does a classic series end up on the big screen or comeback series with the original cast after all those years? That's amazing.

If you think about it, remind me when you hear of it's release. I have family that went into law enforcement because of this series. I warned them ahead of time that it's not really glamorous and I doubt they'll be issued a cigar boat for commute. Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Read about her. She was hardcore man. Violent, mean bitch. Her youngest son was named Michael Corleone Blanco. For real.

lol

Corleone?
That sounds familiar....
Wasn't that the king pin on the old Miami vice series, or am I thinking the Godfather?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miami Vice was just a little before my time but I remember the craze well. I had the Don Johnson spiked haircut and really dug the intro with the uptempo music and quick cut scenes. Especially the woman in bikinis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Michael Corleone was the youngest son in The Godfather.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I lived in key largo in 1992-1993ish. Smuggling was part of the pop culture. LEO was in cars, planes, boats, etc... you couldn’t go 5 miles on US1 without seeing blue lights. You could buy “seaweed” for $20/quarter. Scheit that hit the water not sealed tight and took on seawater. People chopping out lines on the bar at the Caribbean club, go fast boats docked up with rumbling motors shaking the windows at plantation yacht harbor marina where I worked. My roommate got stabbed in the parking lot of the paradise pub for hustling some Haitians playing pool.
Had a guy that used to come in and slap $100 bills in all our palms for anything we did. S.Florida in the early 90’s was the wild, Wild West.

Last edited by jackmountain; 02/22/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It wasn't sexy here.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Although it wasn't a big part, Don Johnson was great in a recent movie with Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn called Dragged Across Concrete.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I lived in key largo in 1992-1993ish. Smuggling was part of the pop culture. LEO was in cars, planes, boats, etc... you couldn’t go 5 miles on US1 without seeing blue lights. You could buy “seaweed” for $20/quarter. Scheit that hit the water not sealed tight and took on seawater. People chopping out lines on the bar at the Caribbean club, go fast boats docked up with rumbling motors shaking the windows at plantation yacht harbor marina where I worked. My roommate got stabbed in the parking lot of the paradise pub for hustling some Haitians playing pool.
Had a guy that used to come in and slap $100 bills in all our palms for anything we did. S.Florida in the early 90’s was the wild, Wild West.

Should have been here in the 70's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
“Out Where the Buses Don't Run” was my favorite episode. Last scene was as good as it gets.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.