Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Jeff,

You're good to go on the boots and long johns. Had to wait until the underwear came in - no way could I give a guy my used drawers - he would never recover! Everything sent UPS last Friday. PM for a tracking # if not received by this week Tues. Threw in a pair of Pentax Compacts for good measure.

Cheers!

Steve
Received a nice set of Sorrel Pack boots and a set of long johns today from Charlie Foxtrot-this was one of the things we needed and is greatly appreciated. Thanks again to everyone who's answered the call.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad you got everything alright. Binocs should be in one of the boots. This is a good thing you're doing. The Big Karma guy is gonna throw some your way. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry but I just saw this ,my prayers are on the way

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Rick. They need all the help they can get. Prayers are immensely important.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm also going to round up a set if basic fishing gear for them. I've got two spinning outfits, two baitcasters, and lots of terminal takle. What I don't have is a pair of spin-casting outfits. If anyone's got a couple Zebco 202's with spin cast rods they're not using, I could put them to good use for Bill and Lori. I'm also in need of a basic tackle box if anyone's got a used one they don't need any more. The spinning outfits will be something Bill is very familiar with. My dad brought me up fishing with Mitchell spinning reels-300's and 308's. I've got a couple old 300's that look like brand new, as well as a couple of period correct Garcia Conolon fiberglass spinning rods. He's gonna get a kick out of these, as Bill was always jealous of our Mitchell's and always wanted one as a kid.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Can't believe I missed this before. I have some XXL hunting stuff I can gladly donate. How is he on regular clothes like T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, etc? Any idea on pants size? Wife and I just went through our stuff this weekend and I have a pile of clothes I'm gonna give away, mostly XXL shirts, sweatshirts. Several sizes of pants as I lost a lot of weight a couple years ago and still have a variety of sizes. As far as hunting boots, leather lace ups or rubber pull ons? I will donate one of whatever he wants. Shoot me a PM for your address.
Chumley-I have at least one pair of boots coming, but I'm not sure if they're heavy boots or more of a hiking weight. Let me get these in and see what type they are, and then I'll get back to you. If the ones coming in are heavier weight winter boots, and you have a pair of hiking boots, that would be great. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Jeff
Chumley-I got a nice pair of Sorrel pac boots. We could still use a light pair of hiking boots for early season use. PM sent.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What does he fish for, bait hook size bobbers split shots?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Panfish most likely. So probably siz. 8. I think he might venture across the border for stream trout once in a while. For bass, I'm sure he probably drowns some worms mostly.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
How about an update, Jeff? I'm curious about any developments. Has your buddy Bill seen the thread? Has he received all the donated items you've procured for him yet? Has he received the insurance settlement for the loss of his home yet? Did he get hunting this year? Bring us up to speed, eh?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I told Bill where to find the thread but I don't know if he's gotten on here or not. I hope he does and joins in the dialog. I have all the gear rounded up here at my place, as well as some funds donated by our generous members. I have a couple 'Fire members who've got stuff they want to get to me. I need to take a day and just go pick stuff up. Here's a partial list of what we've rounded up so far:

12 ga. Winchester Model 1300 with two barrels.
Marlin Model 60 .22 LR with scope.
CVA Buckhorn in .50 cal.
At least two sets of heavy hunting coats and pants.
A pair of Sorel hunting boots
Orange vest
Stocking caps
Gloves
Binoculars
Compass
Hunting knife
Swiss Army style knife
Leatherman style knife
Matches and match case
Long Johns
Gutting gloves
Drag rope
500 rounds of .22 ammo
12 Gauge rifled slugs
12 gauge shot shells, 4 bx.
Pellets and B.B.'s for a pellet gun yet to be picked up.
Canteen
Thermos
Poncho
Wool socks
Lightweight socks
Open sight set to be mounted on the slug barrel for the shotgun.

I'm going through all my odds and ends and anything I have duplicates of will be included in the care package too.

I've also decided to put together some fishing gear, as he lost all that stuff too. To that end, here's what I've got so far:

2 medium heavy baitcasting rods and reels.
2 medium spincast outfits.
2 spinning rigs. Bill always like my old Mitchell 300 and Mitchell 308's, and I don't use them much any more, so I grabbed one of each, tore them apart, lubed 'em and bought fresh bail springs for them. (Anyone who ever used these know the importance of having extra bail springs.) I have matching Garcia Conolon rods to go with them. All guides have been replaced and they're good to go.
Miscellaneous terminal tackle-hooks, sinkers, bobbers, swivels, stringers, hemostats for hook removal, etc.
A variety of lures. Daredevils, spinnerbaits, spinners, jigs, surface lures, divers, spinners, etc.

What I could use yet if anyone would like to help-

A plastic one or two tray tackle box, used.
A starter kit for a .50 cal. CVA Buckhorn.
A basic cleaning kit for the shotgun and .22.

I don't feel like we need cash donations at this point, as the community has rallied around them pretty impressively down in Ohio, and I have some donations rec'd all ready. If you have anything you might be interested in donating, you might want to run it by me as we're getting this pretty well wrapped up. If I get stuff we all ready have, I may try to use it as trade bait for anything we need yet. I would contact whoever donated the stuff to make sure they were ok with me doing that. My plan is to wait for the winter weather to break, probably making the trip down in early to mid May. Bill and Lori are doing well, living with a relative of Lori's. The last I talked to Bill, which was last week, they hadn't settled with the insurance company yet, and it didn't sound like that was close to happening. They have rec'd an offer from the adjacent farm to purchase their land. No word on the proceedings on that yet. I will keep everyone posted.

Most of all, I ask for continued prayers for my buddy and his wife. Lest we forget they are still without a home to call their own.

Thanks again for all that's been done, and I can't wait to be able to hand this care package off to Bill.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TTT

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That was the end of it??

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope everything turned out okay after all of those years!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's a God thing too.

LOL

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bump for JeffA.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bump

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Glad you got everything alright. Binocs should be in one of the boots. This is a good thing you're doing. The Big Karma guy is gonna throw some your way. smile

Ohhhh snap!!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I told Bill where to find the thread but I don't know if he's gotten on here or not. I hope he does and joins in the dialog. I have all the gear rounded up here at my place, as well as some funds donated by our generous members. I have a couple 'Fire members who've got stuff they want to get to me. I need to take a day and just go pick stuff up. Here's a partial list of what we've rounded up so far:

12 ga. Winchester Model 1300 with two barrels.
Marlin Model 60 .22 LR with scope.
CVA Buckhorn in .50 cal.
At least two sets of heavy hunting coats and pants.
A pair of Sorel hunting boots
Orange vest
Stocking caps
Gloves
Binoculars
Compass
Hunting knife
Swiss Army style knife
Leatherman style knife
Matches and match case
Long Johns
Gutting gloves
Drag rope
500 rounds of .22 ammo
12 Gauge rifled slugs
12 gauge shot shells, 4 bx.
Pellets and B.B.'s for a pellet gun yet to be picked up.
Canteen
Thermos
Poncho
Wool socks
Lightweight socks
Open sight set to be mounted on the slug barrel for the shotgun.

I'm going through all my odds and ends and anything I have duplicates of will be included in the care package too.

I've also decided to put together some fishing gear, as he lost all that stuff too. To that end, here's what I've got so far:

2 medium heavy baitcasting rods and reels.
2 medium spincast outfits.
2 spinning rigs. Bill always like my old Mitchell 300 and Mitchell 308's, and I don't use them much any more, so I grabbed one of each, tore them apart, lubed 'em and bought fresh bail springs for them. (Anyone who ever used these know the importance of having extra bail springs.) I have matching Garcia Conolon rods to go with them. All guides have been replaced and they're good to go.
Miscellaneous terminal tackle-hooks, sinkers, bobbers, swivels, stringers, hemostats for hook removal, etc.
A variety of lures. Daredevils, spinnerbaits, spinners, jigs, surface lures, divers, spinners, etc.

What I could use yet if anyone would like to help-

A plastic one or two tray tackle box, used.
A starter kit for a .50 cal. CVA Buckhorn.
A basic cleaning kit for the shotgun and .22.

I don't feel like we need cash donations at this point, as the community has rallied around them pretty impressively down in Ohio, and I have some donations rec'd all ready. If you have anything you might be interested in donating, you might want to run it by me as we're getting this pretty well wrapped up. If I get stuff we all ready have, I may try to use it as trade bait for anything we need yet. I would contact whoever donated the stuff to make sure they were ok with me doing that. My plan is to wait for the winter weather to break, probably making the trip down in early to mid May. Bill and Lori are doing well, living with a relative of Lori's. The last I talked to Bill, which was last week, they hadn't settled with the insurance company yet, and it didn't sound like that was close to happening. They have rec'd an offer from the adjacent farm to purchase their land. No word on the proceedings on that yet. I will keep everyone posted.

Most of all, I ask for continued prayers for my buddy and his wife. Lest we forget they are still without a home to call their own.

Thanks again for all that's been done, and I can't wait to be able to hand this care package off to Bill.

WOW,

That's looting, taken to the next level !

SOB.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Ohhhh snap!!

Rooster, I take it, you, Tom & Dave knew about this ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That was the end of it??

Jim, this from a few months later, like 2/3 of a year later:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9203853/update-on-my-buddy-bill

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.