Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This is gonna really hurt families already paying high prices for day care. Hate to see what day care costs will jump too.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My kids' friends dad (and by proxy our friends now) is the COO of a retail store chain frequently found in malls around the country. Every year the minimum wage increases in Colorado, Arkansas, Missouri until it reaches whatever minimum wage they were trying to get. He said every year that costs them an additional $200k in wages. Their solution was they immediately cut 20% of the workforce and reduced their hours from 2 shifts to 1 shift. How's that working out for those high school kids and others that never improved themselves to make more than minimum wage? Best case, they're now working fewer hours. Worst case, sorry, you're part of the 20% that just were cut.
correct ,.at the Big name factory i worked at (you know the company, they got plants all over ,) every time we got a Union contract negotiated raise ,the company would then lay off X- amount of workers to pay for everyone elses raise ,they just put the work from the laid off workers on to other workers ,they even told us they was doing this ,and did it everytime for years ,did not work out for us in the long run . which is exactly what companies would do ,plus growing up in W.Va everytime the union miners got a new contract with a raise ,as soon as contract was signed ,store owners would raise their price to get a cut of that raise ,..negating the raise ,heard lots of miners complain about that growing up, I wonder if bussness will do this also?

And down goes quality as the number of eyes decreases and the time spent on each unit decreases until demand at that price point decreases and the rest of the dominoes start to fall..
your exactly right .thats exactly what happened at my plant.Every one noticed it .and tried to tell manegment ,did no good. it shut down now. they moved it overseas

Last edited by rem shooter; 02/24/21. Reason: add words

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no problem with anyone making $15 an hour or whatever the number is

but it shouldn't be tied to minimum wage.

Control the influx of low skilled workers and you'd see a balance in the work place. Employers would be forced to pay whatever the prevailing wage would be in order to attract employees. Its economics 101, supply and demand. We saw this to some degree during the Trump administration when illegal immigrants were temporarily slowed down. Every place around here pays at least $10 an hour now for part time service industry workers. Pay any less and the quality of worker you get, if you can even find one is going to be unreliable at best, criminal or crazy is the norm.

also if the price of labor was too high, employers would move to automate - the kiosks at McDonalds, the self check out at grocery stores, self serve gas stations, future drone delivery from Amazon.

I really believe in American innovation and our ability to build a better mouse trap. If someone says they can't sell burgers while paying their people $15 an hour, then someone else will figure it out. If there is demand, someone will innovate a solution at the effective price point.

But hiring a damn illegal immigrant to flood the country with cheap labor and exploit American workers is not acceptable.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/25/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
“ Power Broker” Joe Manchin wants to hold it to $11 and index it to inflation.

All they have to do, if they were really interested, is look at what happened when they passed Obamacare. Millions of retail workers had they hours cut below the threshold for “full time”, and many more either lost their jobs or were converted to contract employees, which meant they had to start paying their own SS.

Pay cuts for everyone!

Those who know nothing about the economy or business maybe shouldn’t be making the rules for either......🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
yep, my buddy owns several hardware stores and when obama care hit, no one got 40 hours a week any more outside maybe the store manager and finance girl. All other employees went down to at most 29 hours a week to get under the insurance requirement threshold

I can't believe a grocery store bagger will be making 15 an hour. Heck, no one ever offers to take your groceries out any more. Even less likely to now. I was one in highschool, made a ton of money in tips, I always put a few bucks in my pocket in case one actually asks to take my groceries out...because I was once one too, they never do and miss out on easy money. Lazy.

Last edited by killerv; 02/25/21.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Preaching to the choir here, but just an example from last night-

Was in Wal-Mart last night (hadn't been in nearly 30 years, not since Slummy worked at Johns Manville). Endcap on the shoe aisle had some cheap looking basketball shoe. I picked it up, studied all the sewing that took place to make it. Commented to the wife about all the labor it took to make it, plus materials, plus design and overhead of the designers, plus freight from china, plus freight and other costs in Wal-Marts distribuition, plus the 50% plus profit Walmart makes on it, and they still sell the pair of shoes for $15.

The point being, when the value of your labor is worth substantially less than what is being forced to pay you, the production moves to China.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't want to make the argument that in order for Wal-Mart to sell US made shoes in the US for $15 , American workers have to accept a salary of $500 a month , which is about what a Chinese worker makes for shoes.

However, because of the profit that Wal-Mart makes from selling a $15 shoe , it should allow them to pay American workers who unload and stock those shoes the prevailing market wage.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/25/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I wouldn't want to make the argument that in order for Wal-Mart to sell US made shoes in the US for $15 , American workers have to accept a salary of $500 a month , which is about what a Chinese worker makes for shoes.

However, because of the profit that Wal-Mart makes from selling a $15 shoe , it should allow them to pay American workers who unload and stock those shoes the prevailing market wage.

I'm not making an argument either way, just saying that a company is going to maximize their profits.If that means producing in China for slave wages, they will. If that means paying minimum wage (which is the artificially inflated prevailing market wage) to stock shoes, they will.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gotta keep the stock market high.

Gains and growth....gains and growth........dividends.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"They", used to say, what goes up, must come down. It's going to be One HARD fall.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Prime example of what has been said here, re Walmart & China.

Once the fuggin liberal Canadian .gov, instigated the minimum $15/hr "living wage", Walmart started installing self checkout kiosks.

In our small town, Walmart now has 15 self checkouts & only operates about 4 of 20 regular checkouts.

mad

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Prime example of what has been said here, re Walmart & China.

Once the fuggin liberal Canadian .gov, instigated the minimum $15/hr "living wage", Walmart started installing self checkout kiosks.

In our small town, Walmart now has 15 self checkouts & only operates about 4 of 20 regular checkouts.

mad

I sort of like them, never ever have to wait in line anymore. Regular checkout lines were the worst. And then when you thought you were getting close....there goes a customer in front of you wanting a price check and more waiting.

Last edited by killerv; 02/25/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I don't mind them either.

Still have to wait for ours, though !

But, my point was, they now employ only 25% of the checkout staff, that they used to, due holey to the $15/hr minimum wage.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.